Overclock.net banner

(Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Owners Thread)

1636104 11945

This thread is still under construction. Please be patient and thank you for understanding.

This thread is for the Z390 Aorus motherboard owners or future owners. We would like to be able to make this the go to for info, help, complaints, and suggestions about the board.
Lets make this thread helpful and respectful for all users. I will post a quick rundown of the board and links below for more information.

Gigabyte OC Guide https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/...le/525/946.pdf

UPDATE 11/11/18 Anyone using the Master and the metal XSPC backplate must bend or trim at least one of the capacitor pins on the back of the board as it will short out to the backplate. CHECK YOUR BACKPLATES ON ALL BOARDS AND PLEASE POST YOUR FINDINGS. I will update the thread as people post their findings.

UPDATE 11/8/18 WATCH YOUR COOLER BACKPLATES!!!!! both my waterblock backplates make contact with Cap pins on the back of the board. had to bend them.

Z390 AORUS MASTER link https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10#kf

Intel Z390 AORUS Master Motherboard with 12 Phases IR Digital VRM, Fins-Array Heatsink, RGB Fusion, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Triple M.2 with Thermal Guards, ESS SABRE HIFI 9118, Intel® GbE LAN with cFosSpeed, Front & Rear USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C

> Supports 9th and 8th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors

> Dual Channel Non-ECC Unbuffered DDR4, 4 DIMMs

> Intel® Optane™ Memory Ready

> 12 Phases IR Digital VRM Solution with PowIRstage

> Advanced Thermal Design with Fins-Array Heatsink and Direct Touch Heatpipe

> Onboard Intel® CNVi 802.11ac 2x2 Wave 2 Wi-Fi

> 125dB SNR AMP-UP Audio with ALC1220 & High-End ESS SABRE 9118 DAC with WIMA audio capacitors

> USB TurboCharger for Mobile Device Fast Charge Support

> Intel® Gigabit LAN with cFosSpeed

> RGB FUSION with Multi-Zone Addressable LED Light Show Design, Supports Addressable LED & RGB LED Strips

> Smart Fan 5 features Multiple Temperature Sensors and Hybrid Fan Headers with FAN STOP

> Front USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C™ Header

> Triple Ultra-Fast NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 with Triple Thermal Guard

> USB DAC-UP 2 with Adjustable Voltage

> CEC 2019 Ready, Save Power With a Simple Click

REVIEWS
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gmWQmnEaVZkQbuvjLiL3JaGwOzwCAoVlb16g7gmfSb4/edit#gid=0

PCIe diagram: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iN...QbnqQaDoJDmUme

OC Guide: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dpI...ew?usp=sharing

Temp Sensor info
6001 - 6020 of 11946 Posts

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,471 Posts
Something may be turning off, but I don't think it has anything to do with C-states. If I have speedshift enabled, Windows will automatically set autonomous mode and tell the processor to manage the processor state transitions itself. When I do this VR VOUT and the Power Out and Current Out remain high at low loads, even though vcore drops as expected. If I disable autonomous mode in Windows power settings, VR VOUT Power Out and Current Out drop at low loads, close to vcore, so behave as expected. C-states are active and the same in both these cases. So something may not be monitored because the management of the Processor p-states has been relegated to the processor rather than Windows.
For offset overclocking, I found the following to be the best performance settings in Windows, while allowing low VR VOUT during idle:

1. disable autonomous mode (or disable speedshift in BIOS).
2. balanced performance plan
3. set the hidden power setting "Processor energy performance preference policy" to 0%. This is the least agressive power setting.

The latter setting can be made visible in the power plan by setting

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\36687f9e-e3a5-4dbf-b1dc-15eb381c6863

Set Attributes under this key to "2"

That will make this option visible in the power settings app.

·
Go Again!
5,853 Posts
For offset overclocking, I found the following to be the best performance settings in Windows, while allowing low VR VOUT during idle:

1. disable autonomous mode (or disable speedshift in BIOS).
2. balanced performance plan
3. set the hidden power setting "Processor energy performance preference policy" to 0%. This is the least agressive power setting.

The latter setting can be made visible in the power plan by setting

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\36687f9e-e3a5-4dbf-b1dc-15eb381c6863

Set Attributes under this key to "2"

That will make this option visible in the power settings app.
Performance gain? Or just reduced power at idle?

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,471 Posts
It is more power at idle on avverage - better responsiveness at idle.

Setting the parameter to 100% is most power savings and kills performance. Default is somewhere in-between.

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,471 Posts
I normally just set performance mode before I start to game. I rarely leave it to idle. I just sleep it.
I use my pc for more than gaming and enjoy performance all round. With these settings, you can just leave it on balanced. You can take it or leave it.

·
Just another nerd
6,043 Posts
I use my pc for more than gaming and enjoy performance all round. With these settings, you can just leave it on balanced. You can take it or leave it.

It's a good tip. I assume you could set it at something like 25% to get higher than default performance at idle but not full bore like at the 0% setting.

·
Just another nerd
6,043 Posts
Probably loose timings and very high voltages.
Probably, and that TRFC is super high but at least he got it to boot into Windows. ;) For gaming you really don't need anything higher than 4000.

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,471 Posts
It's a good tip. I assume you could set it at something like 25% to get higher than default performance at idle but not full bore like at the 0% setting.
Yes, for awhile I had it aset at 33%. That maybe the default.

·
Registered
627 Posts
For 5.3ghz all core, 5.0ghz cache, hyperthreading off:

acdc-1-1
llc high
vcore-normal(dvid), +140mv offset
ENABLE enhanced multicore performance
DISABLE all c-states except C3
ENABLE EIST
DISABLE SPEEDSHIFT
DISABLE HYPERTHREADING
DISABLE voltage optimization, ring to core, race to halt, energy efficient turbo
pwm switchrate 500
pwm phase control extreme
vcore current protection extreme
vcore protection 400mv
enable turbo, set all ratios to 53
max out power limits just incase.
1.3v sa/io (required for supporting both higher cache + higher speed ram, you might be able to run them at 1.25v for benching or if your chip scales better with voltage.)

These specific settings allow voltage and frequency to downclock depending on the load. No load= .854v minimum idle voltage and 800mhz frequency when using windows balanced power plan. If you don't want voltage/frequency to drop at idle, just use windows maximum performance power plan.

Manually setting acdc loadlines to 1 and 1 will automatically override any acdc loadline preset(powersaving/performance/turbo etc).
Beware, when manually altering acdc loadlines + using dvid offset mode, you will encounter a voltage bug. Don't sweat it, just restart a second time before entering windows.

These settings are NOT safe by any means and exceed intel's recommended voltage/amp limits. It can be kept cool enough under full load for daily use with a 360mm AIO + liquid metal between IHS and AIO coldplate. You will have to maintenance this on a regular basis if you put liquid metal there. This may require sanding down any corrosion/tin layer or w/e they call it these days on the copper. Also, not even sure whether or not liquid metal voids OC warranty, it might. If you don't have the OC warranty, you aren't covered if your chip fails due to oc. Use at your own risk.

The other profile for 5.3ghz all core, 5ghz cache:
medium llc
powersaving acdc(do not manually edit acdc loadlines, leave them at 0(zero) and use the preset only)
+95mv offset
enable c3 only
enable EIST
disable the other crap
300khz switchrate
high perf pwm phase control
disable enhanced multicore performance
enable turbo, ratios to 53
max out power limits just in case
1.3v sa/io to power the cache/high speed tuned ram

^This profile idles around 1.34v when using windows maximum power plan and when under full load, voltage jumps to 1.39v ish. I'm using medium llc/power saving acdc/+95mv, based off everything i've been taught, i'm supposed to have vdroop here, instead I get 50mv vgain. Is this what "LLCing your CPU to death" looks like? Or is this mode more similar to "additional core turbo voltage" adaptive style voltage that I used with msi laptops before? If so, am I correct to assume the offset is applied after vdroop when it comes to voltage math? Is this mode healthier than using acdc 1-1 llc high with +140mv offset for the same clocks simply because lower llc=better for temps(assuming stability with either settings)? is powersaving + medium llc + 95mv positive offset operating like it is supposed to?

Again, neither of these profiles are safe by any means, but they give 5.3ghz all core HT OFF on a chip that needs 1.32v manual voltage in bios/turbo llc for 5g all core ht on(to give you an idea of scaling). Use at your own risk!

In general, the presets are good for all core OCs. Acdc-1-1 + low llc + offset is good for using different turbo ratios + ring to core/scaling cache for different amount of cores active to have the right amount of vdroop for all core load frequency and enough voltage at the top end for all non-all core frequency workloads for when the cpu requests it.

O and in the event anyone was wondering when it comes to my recent hwinfo64 screenshots posted this past week, I renamed my "VROUT" sensor to "Vcore". I got tired of seeing 3 different vcore readings so I hid the other 2 and renamed the real one. So if you were trying to use it as a reference tool or whatever, know that the "vcore" shown is the real vcore(just vrout relabeled).
Thank you very much for all the information.

I have the same question as you, what difference do different CPU LLC (auto, normal, medium, turbo, etc.), AC/DC LLC (power saving, performance, etc.), and the other 2 individual LLCs for AC & DC (eg. 0, 1, etc.) make if using the exact same vcore (VR VOUT, of course)? The reason I'm asking is because I can't get 5.2 GHz stable on my 9700KF at around the 1.35v-1.37v level. So I'm wondering if experimenting with different LLC settings - while keeping the same final vcore (1.35v-1.37v) - can potentially get me stable or if it's just simply a matter of having to add more final vcore regardless of LLC settings??? I really want to try and get 5.2 GHz stable.

P.S. Temps are not a problem so I'm not limited there.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
is gigabyte the only vendor that would fcukup the win10 system after memory oc fail?

damn. i got 2 packs of adata d60g 4133 c19-19-19 8g*2. really hard to get it stable on 4500 with xmp enable (turns out to be 21-21-21-43) and auto voltages. it boots up and pass aida memory benchmark, but under some heavy load like decompressing a nvidia driver it gives me blue screen...

any tips for getting it stable for 24/7:((

8700k, aorus master z390 f10 bios

·
Registered
627 Posts
Guys, I think there's a bug in the Z390 Gigabyte Aorus BIOS, at least on the Pro model. I cannot set RAM timings for tREFI. I can only enter a number up to 9998, anything higher than that and it automatically goes to 65xxx. If I leave it on auto then it goes to 14xxx but I was told it's safe to set it up to double the default, so that's 28xxx. I read maxing it out at 65xxx can be real dangerous and lead to corrupted files and other issues slowly over time but I'd like to at least double it to 28xxx which most seem to recommend is safe.

Does any one else have issues with entering in tREFI numbers? How could such a simple thing (entering a number) be bugged?

·
Go Again!
5,853 Posts
Guys, I think there's a bug in the Z390 Gigabyte Aorus BIOS, at least on the Pro model. I cannot set RAM timings for tREFI. I can only enter a number up to 9998, anything higher than that and it automatically goes to 65xxx. If I leave it on auto then it goes to 14xxx but I was told it's safe to set it up to double the default, so that's 28xxx. I read maxing it out at 65xxx can be real dangerous and lead to corrupted files and other issues slowly over time.

How could just a simple thing in the BIOS (entering a number) be bugged-out? LOL.
The trefi bug is not in bios F9 and f10. It is only in f11 and F12b.

We have discussed it here a good bit. Gigabyte is aware of the issue and working on a fix.

If your trefi is not stable at 65534 then you have to run xmp's trefi setting or roll back to F9 or F10 to fix.

6001 - 6020 of 11946 Posts