Overclock.net banner

9641 - 9660 of 9787 Posts

·
Optimal Pessimist
2,679 Posts
Bricked my master board so am out of here back to Asus Hero and a 1070k

Really bummed me out. I had it set for BIOS 1, Single BIOS and the BIOS 1 failed. But it failed over to BIOS 2 (F9). I wasn't expecting that since I had the switches set to single BIOS BIOS 1. So I thought I would qflash the modded f11j GK (I had done this a couple of times with no issue, but not from F9). That bricked it. Dead, no motherboard lights, fans, nothing but PCIE and LED power. POS.

Anyhow, working on 5GHz on 1070k. 5.1 doesn't seem to be in the cards - it wants a VID of 1.5v for that, though I seem to be able to get it manual mode for < 1.3v HT disabled. 5 GHz low volts though.

·
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
449 Posts
Somehow bricked my Aorus Ultra board too ... was just running fine, till I started Taiphoon burner to check my new memory ... (Taiphoon burner worked before no problems) ... this time I started the program, and it was click and power off system. Only thing coming out of the board after that was 2 clicks and no lights. So that was my queue to switch over to a 10700K with a Z490 Aorus Master board with a new PSU (just in case). Rest came all from the old system.

·
Optimal Pessimist
2,679 Posts
Yeah I checked out the PSU and it was fine. So reused everything. Bent a dang pin in the USB 3.0 header (I hate that ill conceived connector) so am going to get a USB3.1 to U#B3.0 internal adapter so can use my front panel USB (sigfh).

Can't really get an OC on my 64 GB 3200/C14 b-die memory with the Asus as I did on the master, but I expected that. Running at XMP and 5 GHz 1.24v vcore OK. 5.1 wants lots o volts.

·
Facepalm
8,194 Posts
Bricked my master board so am out of here back to Asus Hero and a 1070k

Really bummed me out. I had it set for BIOS 1, Single BIOS and the BIOS 1 failed. But it failed over to BIOS 2 (F9). I wasn't expecting that since I had the switches set to single BIOS BIOS 1. So I thought I would qflash the modded f11j GK (I had done this a couple of times with no issue, but not from F9). That bricked it. Dead, no motherboard lights, fans, nothing but PCIE and LED power. POS.

You used the modded efiflfash 0.80 by Dsanke? I know it has a /DB bios switch option for flashing both bios chips (this requires dual bios mode being on I think), and it has an override to force flash even with wrong device ID.

Anyhow, working on 5GHz on 1070k. 5.1 doesn't seem to be in the cards - it wants a VID of 1.5v for that, though I seem to be able to get it manual mode for < 1.3v HT disabled. 5 GHz low volts though.
Both bios chips are bricked?
Do you have a Pomona 5250 clip, male to female jumper cables ( https://www.amazon.com/Elegoo-EL-CP-004-Multicolored-Breadboard-arduino/dp/B01EV70C78/ ) and a programmer? (I prefer a Skypro/II/III).
The first bios chip is socketed so you have to pull it and put it into the programmer with an adapter (I do not believe the Pomona 5250 clip will work on that chip), but it *WILL* work on the soldered chip.

A cheap chinese clip will not work because the bios chip is next to some cap and a too thick clip (like most cheap clips are) will be blocked by that.

·
Optimal Pessimist
2,679 Posts
Both bios chips are bricked?
Do you have a Pomona 5250 clip, male to female jumper cables ( https://www.amazon.com/Elegoo-EL-CP-004-Multicolored-Breadboard-arduino/dp/B01EV70C78/ ) and a programmer? (I prefer a Skypro/II/III).
The first bios chip is socketed so you have to pull it and put it into the programmer with an adapter (I do not believe the Pomona 5250 clip will work on that chip), but it *WILL* work on the soldered chip.

A cheap chinese clip will not work because the bios chip is next to some cap and a too thick clip (like most cheap clips are) will be blocked by that.
Yup both. I have already written it off though. Maybe if I have some time I will try and resurrect it. Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks @ XGS-Duplicity for the tips on increasing my VCCIO/VCCSA.

I re-did my timings and I have managed to get this working with 6000% Kahru testing coverage.
My games runs much more stable now and that weird CTD with some games like Battlefront 2 is all gone.
I also managed to push my my ring to 4.8GHz. I can easily run 5.1Ghz and 5.2Ghz easily with 5.2Ghz needing 1.36V under High LLC and 5.1GHz needing 1.33V LLC. 5.0GHz can be done at 1.30V LLC.
For daily, I have finalized at 5.1GHz as I feel that is fast enough and games are under 70 degrees. 5.2GHz hit low 70s and felt it was not worth the added heat and voltage for something I can't feel when gaming.

VDIMM : 1.5V
VSSSA / VCCIO : 1.30V
BIOS : F11C

Think this is as far as I can go with my setup which has proved rock stable for the last 5 days of testing. All these while I think I have been running too low a VCCIO and VCCSA. These Gigabyte boards can be very frustrating to work with, sometimes you can pass Kahru and next powerup you can suddenly fail the memtest. I have rebooted my system endless of times with the new memory settings and voltages and so far none of them threw an error with repeated testing. This might just be my golden settings for now.

P.S - I am running 1 pair on A1 PCB and another pair on A2 PCB despite both being G.Skill 3600C16. I think that is why I had so much trouble trying to get stable my memory overclocks with my earlier settings which I think could be aggressive given they were not matched pairs.

Attachments

·
Banned
585 Posts
Thanks @ XGS-Duplicity for the tips on increasing my VCCIO/VCCSA.

I re-did my timings and I have managed to get this working with 6000% Kahru testing coverage.
My games runs much more stable now and that weird CTD with some games like Battlefront 2 is all gone.
I also managed to push my my ring to 4.8GHz. I can easily run 5.1Ghz and 5.2Ghz easily with 5.2Ghz needing 1.36V under High LLC and 5.1GHz needing 1.33V LLC. 5.0GHz can be done at 1.30V LLC.
For daily, I have finalized at 5.1GHz as I feel that is fast enough and games are under 70 degrees. 5.2GHz hit low 70s and felt it was not worth the added heat and voltage for something I can't feel when gaming.

VDIMM : 1.5V
VSSSA / VCCIO : 1.30V
BIOS : F11C

Think this is as far as I can go with my setup which has proved rock stable for the last 5 days of testing. All these while I think I have been running too low a VCCIO and VCCSA. These Gigabyte boards can be very frustrating to work with, sometimes you can pass Kahru and next powerup you can suddenly fail the memtest. I have rebooted my system endless of times with the new memory settings and voltages and so far none of them threw an error with repeated testing. This might just be my golden settings for now.

P.S - I am running 1 pair on A1 PCB and another pair on A2 PCB despite both being G.Skill 3600C16. I think that is why I had so much trouble trying to get stable my memory overclocks with my earlier settings which I think could be aggressive given they were not matched pairs.

Your welcome. What happens when you try to train the memory with pwm phase control extreme, 101.5 busclock, 4133mhz memory strap, 1.35v sa/io, 1.5v vdimm, 32768 trefi(rest of timings the same,with 4.7 or 4.8 cache) avx offset=auto, and then once it is done training, go back into bios, set sa/io to 1.3v, set busclock to 100.00, set memory strap to 4200 and then enable memory fast boot, save/exit.

Below are the timings I use for similar set up as yours, 5.1ghz(turbo ratios set) HT ON 4.7ghz cache acdc-1 vcore llc high, vcore=normal dvid mode +70mv offset, EIST + C3 enabled, 1.5v vdimm, 1.3v sa/io, avx offset=auto, pwm phase control extreme. Used training method shared above, slightly different timings.

On a side note, If you want to use your configuration exactly how it is and get some extra core speed and extra cache speed for 5Core to 1Core loads- enable ring to core, set cache to 54, pwm phast control extreme, Eist + c3 enabled(all other cstates off, c-state package limit on auto)and set turbo ratios to 54/54/53/52/52/51/51/51 with acdc-1, vcore llc low, vcore normal dvid mode +200mv offset(this is assuming your 1.33v for 5.1 was 1.33v load voltage in something like aida64 fpu with avx enabled, all core would still be 1.33vish under full load in aida fpu or cbr20 still while 5core to 1core will vary depending on the load). Just know that vcore llc low is not the best for ultra tight memory overclocks at high frequencies for passing heavier memtests, you'll have to see if it gels well with your memory overclock. This is a config to use with windows balanced power plan so you downclock volts/clocks on idle, alternatively, you can also use it with maximum performance power plan with clocks boosting as high as possible at all times, could also turn on speedshift in addition to EIST + C3 for just a hair better performance with the windows maximum powerplan version. Just know you may not always see 5.4ghz single/double core if you have tons of stuff running. Cache ratio gets automatically controlled based on the core demand of the workload with this configuration when ring to core is enabled as long as cache ratio in bios is set to no less than 300mhz lower than highest turbo core ratio. This means if you are boosting to 5.4ghz on a single or double core workload, cache will boost to 5.1ghz. 1.3v SA/IO should be enough to handle 5.1ghz cache on single/double core workloads with hyperthreading enabled provided you are not on an insanely demanding memory oc. If you are boosting to 5.3ghz on on triple core workloads, the cache will boost to 5ghz. 5.2ghz 4core-5core workloads cache will boost to 4.9ghz. The higher cache ratio gained from ring to core will also improve memory bandwidth/latency for 5core-1core workloads, aida64 benchmark will reflect that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello Everyone, hope you are all well?

I'm at my wits end, and hoping to gain the insight of people who know more than I do. I have a Master and am F11e bios, @KedarWolf's modded one. However much I try I cannot get my overclock to boot into windows on anything other than auto vcore, and I'm worried I'm dumping too much voltage into it. I readily admit to having little idea what I'm doing, and what I have picked up was from people here. I'm just hoping you would be kind enough to help out an old fool with his settings. Below are my bios settings, Note: all ram spd settings are on auto. I know that's terrible but I just want a stable overclock before I seek @XGS-Duplicity's help with that. I've also added a shot of HWInfo.

A little more info. Cooling is HD150i Pro. CBR 15 score 2112, Temp 75C. What else might help? I have recently been doing a lot of overnight downloading and very often the computer will crash. I think, the maximum it stayed on without a BSOD or a reboot into bios was around 36 hours. Most often there is a reboot straight back to bios. Hmm..I think that's all I can recall. Obviously, if you need further information please do ask. I will get back to you.

Just a quick final note to say how much I appreciate to work of the many contributors to this forum and all I have managed to glean.

Many thanks for reading and looking.

·
Banned
585 Posts
Hello Everyone, hope you are all well?

I'm at my wits end, and hoping to gain the insight of people who know more than I do. I have a Master and am F11e bios, @KedarWolf 's modded one. However much I try I cannot get my overclock to boot into windows on anything other than auto vcore, and I'm worried I'm dumping too much voltage into it. I readily admit to having little idea what I'm doing, and what I have picked up was from people here. I'm just hoping you would be kind enough to help out an old fool with his settings. Below are my bios settings, Note: all ram spd settings are on auto. I know that's terrible but I just want a stable overclock before I seek @XGS-Duplicity 's help with that. I've also added a shot of HWInfo.

A little more info. Cooling is HD150i Pro. CBR 15 score 2112, Temp 75C. What else might help? I have recently been doing a lot of overnight downloading and very often the computer will crash. I think, the maximum it stayed on without a BSOD or a reboot into bios was around 36 hours. Most often there is a reboot straight back to bios. Hmm..I think that's all I can recall. Obviously, if you need further information please do ask. I will get back to you.

Just a quick final note to say how much I appreciate to work of the many contributors to this forum and all I have managed to glean.

Many thanks for reading and looking.
Falkentyne/kedarwolf are the cpu overclock experts in here.Their knowledge far surpasses mine by a large margin. Use me as a last resort if you will. Also, may want to post your bios settings, i think you may have forgotten ^^

·
Registered
2 Posts
Flashing wiped out my old profiles/settings, just hoping to save a little time!

Try this modded efiflash, all checks removed. Should work. Attached as .zip.

Edit: Just use
Code:
efiflash biosname.F11
or whatever or
Code:
efiflash biosname.F11 /DB
if you want to flash both BIOS's at the same time.

Replace biosname.F11 with the name of the BIOS you are flashing.

Oh, and if the extension has like '.F11j' has four letters, rename it to three letters like 'F11'.

Make a FreeDOS USB like below, put the BIOS and efiflash.exe on it.

Boot into BIOS. Hit F7 to load BIOS defaults, F10 to save and reboot. As it reboots, hit F12 and boot from the USB NOT UEFI.

When it boots into DOS, type
Code:
efiflash 1.F11
Thank you so much for these! Would you mind sharing your OC settings with this board via some images? Also, I don't mind reading through the forum if you already have a post. Apologies I'm a newb!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you so much for these! Would you mind sharing your OC settings with this board via some images? Also, I don't mind reading through the forum if you already have a post. Apologies I'm a newb! I've already OC to 5.0 at 1.32V, disabled C-states, and changed LLC to high. I wouldn't ask, but the flash wiped all of my previous profiles for f11c!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the prompt reply @XGS-Duplicity.

I thought I had posted them? I dragged them over. Oh well. A I doing something wrong here. I know it's late here or am I losing the plot. Try, try again.

Attachments

·
Banned
585 Posts
Thanks for the prompt reply @XGS-Duplicity .

I thought I had posted them? I dragged them over. Oh well. A I doing something wrong here. I know it's late here or am I losing the plot. Try, try again.

Definitely a job for Falkentyne, sorry buddy. wish i could help. There is also an official gigabyte z390 aorus master overclock guide on youtube.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Your welcome. What happens when you try to train the memory with pwm phase control extreme, 101.5 busclock, 4133mhz memory strap, 1.35v sa/io, 1.5v vdimm, 32768 trefi(rest of timings the same,with 4.7 or 4.8 cache) avx offset=auto, and then once it is done training, go back into bios, set sa/io to 1.3v, set busclock to 100.00, set memory strap to 4200 and then enable memory fast boot, save/exit.

Below are the timings I use for similar set up as yours, 5.1ghz(turbo ratios set) HT ON 4.7ghz cache acdc-1 vcore llc high, vcore=normal dvid mode +70mv offset, EIST + C3 enabled, 1.5v vdimm, 1.3v sa/io, avx offset=auto, pwm phase control extreme. Used training method shared above, slightly different timings.

On a side note, If you want to use your configuration exactly how it is and get some extra core speed and extra cache speed for 5Core to 1Core loads- enable ring to core, set cache to 54, pwm phast control extreme, Eist + c3 enabled(all other cstates off, c-state package limit on auto)and set turbo ratios to 54/54/53/52/52/51/51/51 with acdc-1, vcore llc low, vcore normal dvid mode +200mv offset(this is assuming your 1.33v for 5.1 was 1.33v load voltage in something like aida64 fpu with avx enabled, all core would still be 1.33vish under full load in aida fpu or cbr20 still while 5core to 1core will vary depending on the load). Just know that vcore llc low is not the best for ultra tight memory overclocks at high frequencies for passing heavier memtests, you'll have to see if it gels well with your memory overclock. This is a config to use with windows balanced power plan so you downclock volts/clocks on idle, alternatively, you can also use it with maximum performance power plan with clocks boosting as high as possible at all times, could also turn on speedshift in addition to EIST + C3 for just a hair better performance with the windows maximum powerplan version. Just know you may not always see 5.4ghz single/double core if you have tons of stuff running. Cache ratio gets automatically controlled based on the core demand of the workload with this configuration when ring to core is enabled as long as cache ratio in bios is set to no less than 300mhz lower than highest turbo core ratio. This means if you are boosting to 5.4ghz on a single or double core workload, cache will boost to 5.1ghz. 1.3v SA/IO should be enough to handle 5.1ghz cache on single/double core workloads with hyperthreading enabled provided you are not on an insanely demanding memory oc. If you are boosting to 5.3ghz on on triple core workloads, the cache will boost to 5ghz. 5.2ghz 4core-5core workloads cache will boost to 4.9ghz. The higher cache ratio gained from ring to core will also improve memory bandwidth/latency for 5core-1core workloads, aida64 benchmark will reflect that.

Wow that looks incredibly confusing to setup.
I am currently having loads of fun with the new settings thought I would love to try yours at a later time.

I did see 54/54/53/52/52/51/51/51 setup and it did remarkably well in CB20.
I would like to try this out but am not sure where to start. Maybe I will try it over the weekend based on your post. :)

9641 - 9660 of 9787 Posts