Overclock.net banner
11701 - 11720 of 11725 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Not sure why the 2nd link is not working. Your have to search for his site manually.

·
Registered
25 Posts
By default the 2 delete values are not there and if you read the ms doc sheet on bcdedit your see them settings are for debug only.
And they was saying about hpet disabled in device manager! And in video he leaves it alone. If you want to play with setting do more research, I use Islc too and get what he wants in video by default. 0.5ms
Yet most of the tweaks are not needed in later versions. Most was for windows 7-8 Yet work on lastest versions like 10 and 11. I use 3-4 of these settings. Like the first 2 he comments on then the msi, and use the msi utility v3, then the drivers to memory and 1-2 others
I think we'll just agree to disagree then, cause it seems like we agree that we want a .5ms timer, it's just we have different methods of getting there. Melody's notes for the Low Latency Software:
  • It is not advised to run this program in stripped/modified systems. Do it at your own risk.
  • When using my program, it is advised to use platform tick because of the way it works.
The dude in the video tells you to leave the device manager setting alone because disabling platform tick through Bcdedit does the same thing and it's redundant at that point. The only HPET setting that remains enabled is through the bios, if you even have the option, otherwise it's likely already on.

I can only testify to what I've experienced on my system which is running Windows 10 19043. I do appreciate the back and forth though, always looking to learn something new!

• Rep+
Reactions: Coldblackice

·
Registered
213 Posts
But as I said by default them values are not there, so by default windows has hpet off. In later versions of windows, the tick is not needed any more as the off set from windows as shown in his video is not there.
P.s look at the comments from his video ya see. Yet by default that vaule is no longer in the bcdedit file. So nothing to delete

• Rep+

·
Registered
25 Posts
But as I said by default them values are not there, so by default windows has hpet off. In later versions of windows, the tick is not needed any more as the off set from windows as shown in his video is not there.
P.s look at the comments from his video ya see. Yet by default that vaule is no longer in the bcdedit file. So nothing to delete
Ahh I see what you're saying, I was operating on old information and didn't look at the comments. Fair point!

·
Registered
213 Posts
But if you could help me with some advice oc my memory, I have g.skill 3200, 4 stick, 2 different dies I belive, 16cl. I have kind of oc them but sure I have not done it correct.
Were would you start, increase dram voltage to say 1.4v and vccio vcssa to 1.25v. Set ram to 3600, and disable memory fastboot?
See what timings I get?

·
Registered
25 Posts
But if you could help me with some advice oc my memory, I have g.skill 3200, 4 stick, 2 different dies I belive, 16cl. I have kind of oc them but sure I have not done it correct.
Were would you start, increase dram voltage to say 1.4v and vccio vcssa to 1.25v. Set ram to 3600, and disable memory fastboot?
See what timings I get?
As long as it's safe for your die, I would go to whatever voltage you can thermally handle. When I did 1.5v with no active cooling, the chips would get to 50c plus and would fail stress. Once I cooled it and kept them below 45c, I was able to go further. And then yeah, more than 3600Mhz I would go 1.25v VCCSA/IO, but you might find you can lower them. I was able to drop the VCCIO voltage once I had found stability.

While doing any memory tweaks, disable fast boot to allow the training to happen. After you've rebooted a few times and the timings remain, you can re-enable fast boot and that should lock them in. These boards are finicky though, keep an eye on the timings, mainly the RTL and IO-L, you want to make sure they have a maximum difference of only 4 and 2, respectively.

I learned a lot of what I know through this guide: MemTestHelper/DDR4 OC Guide.md at oc-guide · integralfx/MemTestHelper
And forums and google searches and all that fun stuff, but mostly through that guide.

• Rep+

·
Registered
213 Posts
@kikng Hi sorry for the slow reply had a long bank holiday weekend in the UK.
I Was going to link my timings from the Asrock UI but it gives me a error now about driver can not be loaded, prob this windows 11 build and its very old now.
But I had voltage of dram at 1.4v set boot ram voltage to 1.4v set vccio etc to 1.25v then went form there best I can get is 18-20-20 % 3600. 16-18-18 being the default at 3200. So if your willing to help I can take screen shots of the bios.
Font Parallel Rectangle Number Pattern

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey guys, I am running a gigabyte z390m gaming with an 8700k @ 5.1 on my guest build and am trying to tweak it a bit for warzone. Its a t-topology board with only 2 dual rank 8-bit sticks 2 x 16gb hynix CJR C16 memory which I wanted to push it to 3800+ if possible, or even attempt 4000 at looser timings if that benefits me in games. Currently have vccio/vccsa only at 1.15/1.20v but assume I'll have to raise that a bit for stability, just not sure the best approach for a t-topology board even though it has decent VRMs as i cant find much info for intel setups like this, and obviously what this "old trusty" 8700k's IMC is capable of. It's a decent clocker though! 5.1ghz @ 1.35v load, 49 uncore, HT on 0avx

my ram info here https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/kzlu87
Set the timings loose like from stock 3600 xmp @ 16-19-19-39 to 16-20-20 /17-21-21 for 3800 or 18-22-22 (4000?) etc and try to slowly up the speed @ 1.4-1.43v for CJR?

Will pushing uncore/ring too much affect my ram OC (currently 49 on an 8700k which I assume is pushing it a bit)? Also IO/SA Voltages to start with for 3800+? 1.2/1.25, 1.25/1.3?

Thank you all so much!

·
Registered
25 Posts
@kikng Hi sorry for the slow reply had a long bank holiday weekend in the UK.
I Was going to link my timings from the Asrock UI but it gives me a error now about driver can not be loaded, prob this windows 11 build and its very old now.
But I had voltage of dram at 1.4v set boot ram voltage to 1.4v set vccio etc to 1.25v then went form there best I can get is 18-20-20 % 3600. 16-18-18 being the default at 3200. So if your willing to help I can take screen shots of the bios.
View attachment 2559380
I was barely willing to go through the weeks of work for my memory. Sorry man I'm just not totally comfortable doing that, if you have specific questions I can try to help, but if I was you I'd go through that MemOC guide I linked on my previous post and work off of that. The mismatched DIMMS will, I believe, hold you back so maybe pick the better of the two pairs and work on them only.

Hey guys, I am running a gigabyte z390m gaming with an 8700k @ 5.1 on my guest build and am trying to tweak it a bit for warzone. Its a t-topology board with only 2 dual rank 8-bit sticks 2 x 16gb hynix CJR C16 memory which I wanted to push it to 3800+ if possible, or even attempt 4000 at looser timings if that benefits me in games. Currently have vccio/vccsa only at 1.15/1.20v but assume I'll have to raise that a bit for stability, just not sure the best approach for a t-topology board even though it has decent VRMs as i cant find much info for intel setups like this, and obviously what this "old trusty" 8700k's IMC is capable of. It's a decent clocker though! 5.1ghz @ 1.35v load, 49 uncore, HT on 0avx

my ram info here https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/kzlu87
Set the timings loose like from stock 3600 xmp @ 16-19-19-39 to 16-20-20 /17-21-21 for 3800 or 18-22-22 (4000?) etc and try to slowly up the speed @ 1.4-1.43v for CJR?

Will pushing uncore/ring too much affect my ram OC (currently 49 on an 8700k which I assume is pushing it a bit)? Also IO/SA Voltages to start with for 3800+? 1.2/1.25, 1.25/1.3?

Thank you all so much!
If you own Aida64 Extreme and can run the memory bench, you can track the performance differences through all your changes. Since the stock timings are already pretty loose, I don't know how much more you'll want to open them up, sacrificing memory latency. If you haven't already, work off of that guide I linked in my previous post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do I really need to do that for every game I play? Here is an example of a Forza Horizon 5 benchmark with high performance plan vs balanced plan. I am just wondering whether I should update my BIOS to see if it solves anything. Currently on F8. I know there is a modded one on this forum but not really sure what it does or whether to trust it. I know staying on high performance is technically safe, but not as efficient as balanced. Just a weird issue and was wondering if anyone else was facing it. My BIOS settings are basically all stock, so unsure why it's not seemingly boosting properly and causing stutters.

View attachment 2547139 View attachment 2547140
I know your post is pretty old but I had the same issue and thought it was my RTX 3080 card. Here is a long forum post where a chap investigated it and worked out it was an issue with the Gigabyte Z390 board playing poorly with CPU stepping in Windows Balanced plan. I just keep mine in High Performance now. No other option it seems.

[SOLVED] MSI RTX 3080 low-ish Time Spy score in comparison to others?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello guys,
My mb is Aorus Master, I've updated the BIOS from F11n to F11.
Everything was fine until I see my scores on Cinebench r20 in F11 at 5Ghz.
Before in F11n I was at 5100 and now with the last F11 I am only at 4800. I understood that they had updated the microcodes for more security that is why I want to install a modded version with faster microcodes.
I followed several tutorials found in the inside pages of this thread, I did everything with rufus, I put the last modded F11 bios on the key, but when I do (efiflash F11Final.F11 /c /x) an error message appears: Invalid boot image
I tried with several modded Bios, but always the same error message.

Who knows why and has a solution?
Do I have to go back to an older version of the official bios before installing the modded, example the F11n ?

Thank you all

·
Registered
26 Posts
@DrKZ You can use Intel's Flash Programming Tool (FPT) to flash a modified capsule BIOS. I have written a guide here on how to use FPT to downgrade to an earlier Gigabyte non-capsule BIOS but it can also be used to flash a modified capsule BIOS (to bypass the 'Invalid boot image' message).

Please read the entire guide as there is some risk involved, such as overwriting/deleting your Intel Ethernet Adapter's MAC address.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@chinobino First of all thank you for your answer, I tried a lot of times to follow your tutorial but when I write (fpt -SAVEMAC -f <F10.F10>.bin) an error message appear: Can not redirect output to file ' .bin'.
If I remove the <> another error message: Error 189: File does not exist.

What am i supposed to do? I tried to change several times the name of the Bios file, always the same message...

·
Registered
26 Posts
@DrKZ What is the name of the BIOS file you are trying to flash?

You must give the correct file name e.g. Z390AOMA.F10 is the name given by Gigabyte for the official F10 BIOS, did you change the file extension from .F10 to .bin?

If not then don't add the .bin extension e.g.

fpt -SAVEMAC -f Z390AOMA.F10

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I've been watching some Buildzoid videos on z690 mobo's, and he always says the Gigabyte z690, DDR4 boards anyways, are sub-par, and hard to use in terms of RAM.

I'm looking at the z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 ATX, that and similar class is my upper price. I'd be getting another 2x8 3000, for 32GB total, or 2x16 3600

I'm no ram oc'er anyways, so I probably shouldn't worry should I ? The elite AX is about the cheapest for me here. Then maybe the msi Tomahawk

·
Registered
189 Posts
This thread is for older gen Z390, i.e. 8xxx/9xxx processors, not Z690, which is 12xxx.

That said, my Gigabyte Z390 board turned me off Gigabyte for life, I would do everything possible to find an alternative.
Which Z390 Gigabyte motherboard do you have? My Z390 Aorus Ultra has been absolutely fantastic and I've been overclocking it for three years without any issues. The board temparatures, especially VRM's are always very low, even when under intense loadings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@chinobino Thank you very much, you’re a legend
I removed the . bin at the end and it worked. So I was able to install the F10 and after that, the F11o modded without any problems. I’m happy now, at 5Ghz I reach 5240 Points on Cinebench r20 with my 9900K.
Thanks again and all good for you ;)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Which Z390 Gigabyte motherboard do you have?
Z390 Aorus Elite.

The board itself was fine. Memory overclocking was garbo, but that's not a huge issue to me.

It's the company behind it. Gigabyte only offered "Is it plugged in?" canned responses in multiple support messages, and denied a warranty claim. So, ya know, not gonna fool me twice.

11701 - 11720 of 11725 Posts