Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
My girl friend is trying to play games that I bought her, but they aren't running well so she needs a new card.. the question really is,is there anything I could upgrade to from my and 290x and then just give her my card that would be worth it? I have a microcenter in my area and could maybe do a step up when the new cards (that I know nothing about) come out?

Or, should we just get a card for about 150 bucks for her? She wants to be able to play games like dayz, Ark, and a few others..and the 5850 isn't cutting it.

I don't care about brand as long as it's good:)
Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
just pickup a used 290 or 290x for her. should be able to find them used in the 180-230$ range

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
Maybe just find an on the cheap r9 290?

I think everyone will mention how new GPU's are on the horizon and buying in now may not be the most timely.

·
User
2,334 Posts
You should keep your 290X. For 150 bucks you've got a R9 380 on newegg. Granted it's 175 with a 20 bucks rebate.

Otherwise you have a GTX 950 for 145 with a 20 bucks rebate at microcenter. Check pcpartpicker for links.

• Rep+
Reactions: Steroids

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,755 Posts
Got mine a 270X. She's happy with it.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steroids View Post

Just curious,should we get the 380 or the 950 Nvidia version .. which would be better
380 is much better. It's a bit faster than 960

• Rep+
Reactions: Steroids

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
Be sure to get the specific model number for it, if you want accurate information as some times just brands or model lines can be a bit misleading
redface.gif

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steroids View Post

I wanna say the power supply is about 500 or 550, I'll have to double check... thanks for the help! Reps given
can you actually post her full system specs I mean a gpu upgrade would help but i believe those titles are more single threaded it might also be a cpu buttleneck. But most likely a vram issue with the 5850.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts