Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was suppose to buy another component of my Ultimate folding machine build (http://www.overclock.net/intel-gener...chine-log.html) however one of my cousins has some financial trouble, and asked if I can help her by giving her $2,000 tomorrow. If I do this, then I won't be able to buy a component for my PC Build putting it 2 weeks behind schedule. WHAT TO DO!

I'm also hesitant because she never pays me back, I've probably loaned her and her family over $15,000. The reason why they are having financial trouble is because they went all crazy with credit cards. Thus I only use my credit cards to build my credit history.

Honestly I dont give a **** about their troubles, because they are letting me pay for them.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Hmm, interesting situation you've got here.

The fact that she has never paid you back and you've given her family over $15,000, as well as she's a cousin and not your immediate family makes this one a no-brainer.

Don't loan them any more money until they pay you back what you're owed.

·
Banned
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's very hard since we are very close, honestly I dont want to give them money, but I must for some reason. I just want to know what someone will do if they are in the same situation lol.

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Powelly View Post
Don't loan them any more money until they pay you back what you're owed.
This.

There's being thankful, then there's being greedy and careless with money. Your cousin (and family maybe) seems the latter.

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
For family it's best never to loan them any money. Unless you are 100% sure they can pay you back.

Instead you just give it to them. Loaning money just causes all kinds of problems.

·
Registered
706 Posts
To be honest, even if you weren't planning on buying anything soon, don't do it. Family is a pain to get money back from. You have to jump through all these social rule hoops, and if you do put your foot down and demand your money back, your whole family might think you're a scumbag ("Oh, but they're in financial trouble! How would they be able to pay you back?!".

Do not do it, or at least don't do it again until you've gotten at least a fourth of you back.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
It's hard to just say no to family. I have a cousin who is a meth addict, always in and out of jail or this treatment place or that one. I think he's homeless right now, I dunno. We used to help pay for rehab stuff but at some point you just have to throw up your hands and give up.

I'm not sure how similar your situation is. It sounds like your cousin is just an idiot, in which case I'd be less inclined to help. But it's easy to say that from my perspective as some random guy on the internet.

·
Registered
953 Posts
So the way this works is, they are bad with their money and are expecting you to not spend yours (that you have and didn't have to borrow) to help them out of their hole?

I say don't do it.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Really, it depends on your culture and how much you want to follow it. For example, my culture is very strict and you have to provide everything your family needs. I'm quite happy following it.

·
Banned
4,814 Posts
They didn't earn the money, so they aren't allowed to have it. And the fact that they are that much under doubt shows that it isn't going to be changing soon. If you don't cut yourself loose, you will be stuck supporting them for a long time.

Fair enough.

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
You know that even if you give them the money right now nothing is going to change. They spend it on whatever and in the end, when all money is gone they prey on you for more. Protect your family from theirselfs and don't lend them money.

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ulawe View Post
I'm also hesitant because she never pays me back, I've probably loaned her and her family over $15,000.
That's really all I needed to hear...

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
$15,000!? and your giving them 2 grand more? I think they need to learn the value of money and not leech off other people. I know how you feel, i'm really close with my aunts/uncles/cousins, but if I give someone 15k, and they don't do ***** with it and ask for some more, there is a REAL big problem there. Your family first, your money, your needs.

·
Super Moderator
32,930 Posts
Honestly, if your cousin is close to being out of the hole, why not help her out? Just put it IN WRITING, and make her sign it. Tell her if you don't get payment back according to the agreed upon terms, it WILL be taken to court. I honestly wish I had a cousin that was willing to help me out. I'd make sure it was payed back.

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
Ultimate folding rig. I was siding with the cousin up until I read how they don't pay you back and they're in financial need because of credit card debt.

Let 'em learn their lesson the hard way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post
Honestly, if your cousin is close to being out of the hole, why not help her out? Just put it IN WRITING, and make her sign it. Tell her if you don't get payment back according to the agreed upon terms, it WILL be taken to court. I honestly wish I had a cousin that was willing to help me out. I'd make sure it was payed back.
But then there's the whole suing thing, and I'm not sure about the OP, but if I were him, I'd be too lazy to go to court and tell the judge why the cousin is an idiot.

·
Banned
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay I told her yesterday I dont have money, that I spent it investing on stocks.

Anyways I was able to buy the part for my folding rig, and 21.3 surround sound speakers for my current rig

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
I want your money. Mind picking me up an 850W and some GTX 460s for a folding rig?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts