Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
A unit of Intellectual Ventures-the patent firm started by ex-Microsoft chief tech dude Nathan Myhrvold and funded partly by Bill Gates-called TerraPower is talking with Toshiba about using its nuclear reactor tech to build underground reactors.
Source

[Yahoo] Bill Gates, Toshiba in early talks on nuclear reactor

Quote:
The Nikkei business daily earlier reported that the two sides would team up to develop a compact next-generation reactor that can operate for up to 100 years without refueling to provide emission-free energy.

The daily said the joint development would focus on the Traveling-Wave Reactor (TWR), which consumes depleted uranium as fuel. Current light-water reactors require refueling every few years.
Second Source

The Wall Street Journal has an article up too, but I'm not a subscriber.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Travelling Wave Reactor is like a nuclear candle instead of a restrained bomb. It's really something cool.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable Blue Screen of Nuclear Death jokes.

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
I like the idea but i think the development time could be quite long due to safety testing.

Made me think of putting nuclear batteries in things. Too bad we can't refuel uranium. Could have potential.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Lets see if bill gates succeeds to monopolize nuclear power.. LOL

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
There hasn't been a new reactor in the US since 1979.

Would be neat to see if they can use spent fuel rods for something useful though.

·
Registered
147 Posts
This makes total sense. Bill needs something to power his secret underground grotto. The power source also needs to last long enough to sustain his children. You know, the ones he made by breeding with the supermodels picked by him, and screened for intelligence by his "wife".

It's so obvious.

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momsbasement656 View Post
This makes total sense. Bill needs something to power his secret underground grotto. The power source also needs to last long enough to sustain his children. You know, the ones he made by breeding with the supermodels picked by him, and screened for intelligence by his "wife".

It's so obvious.
oh man... to be him...

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mootsfox View Post
In a related story:

Quote:
President Obama, speaking to an enthusiastic audience of union officials in Lanham, Md., on Tuesday, underscored his embrace of nuclear power as a clean energy source, announcing that the Energy Department had approved financial help for the construction of two nuclear reactors in Georgia.

If the project goes forward, the reactors would be the first begun in the United States since the 1970s.

The announcement of the loan guarantee â€" $8.3 billion to help the Southern Company and two partners build twin reactors in Burke County â€" comes as the administration is courting Republican support for its climate and energy policies.

LINK
Im 100% behind nuclear power.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a reactor. No it can't.

• Rep+
Reactions: ejams

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa.Smurf View Post
I don't see why thorium reactors aren't making any headway, much cleaner and safer than anything out there...

source
Because people are scared of 'nukular stuff'.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mootsfox View Post

Would be neat to see if they can use spent fuel rods for something useful bullets though.
Fixed
I want depleted uranium rounds for all snipers. ^^

Back on topic: That's pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDeodorant View Post
Because people are scared of 'nukular stuff'.
None nuclear waste makes more sense than burying nuclear waste in some mountain.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xzeara View Post
Fixed
I want depleted uranium rounds for all snipers. ^^
Why? We can already load bullets heavier than we do. DU rounds really need a gun designed to fire them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa.Smurf View Post
None nuclear waste makes more sense than burying nuclear waste in some mountain.
Haven't you ever heard of a little thing called CHERNOBYL, man? They probably thought it was safe too!

As long as there are people who would lose money if we switched to nuclear power, there will be carefully cultivated ignorance holding us back.

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDeodorant View Post
Why? We can already load bullets heavier than we do. DU rounds really need a gun designed to fire them.

Haven't you ever heard of a little thing called CHERNOBYL, man? They probably thought it was safe too!

As long as there are people who would lose money if we switched to nuclear power, there will be carefully cultivated ignorance holding us back.
Russian made nuclear power plants are unsafe by design.

Had Chernobyl had a contentment structure around the reactor, that accident would not have had the same scale of destruction.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts