Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Amateur Games Dev
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Horn
NASA's Hubble Telescope peered deep into a cluster of galaxies called Abell 68 recently, and found a wicked space invader that looks like it's headed right for us. Brace for impact!

So what's a classic video game baddie doing hanging out two-billion light-years away? NASA explains that the gravitational field surrounding the galaxies works like a magnifying glass, brightening and stretching light from far away. So you're seeing stretched and mirrored images-a phenomenon known as gravitational lensing-that just happens to look like a space invader. Sure, it's not real, but it's fun to let your imagination run light-years away and imagine that the old game is actually happening out there in the universe. [NASA]
NASA Finds Space Invaders Deep in the Cosmos

Check the article for the image. It's staring at us, evilly.

·
Dream with your eyes open
3,842 Posts
And so... it begins.
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
That's amazing, hahaha!

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
I knew it! We are not alone...

... the government has known about this for years but big pharma and the oil companies covered it up
rolleyes.gif

Actually I believe that we are not alone, the universe is just too darn big for us to be the only intelligent race. The chances of finding them though...

·
Premium Member
7,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post

It's Harbinger !
I heard reaper sounds in my head when I saw this comment
wha-smiley.png

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJohn View Post

I knew it! We are not alone...

... the government has known about this for years but big pharma and the oil companies covered it up
rolleyes.gif

Actually I believe that we are not alone, the universe is just too darn big for us to be the only intelligent race. The chances of finding them though...
Intelligent race?

What are you talking about..

Where's the first one??

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I agree, we are definitely not on our own. It would be illogical to think so. But when I hear about all the UFO sightings , the pics etc, I mean here on planet earth, I just laugh!

Think about it. If they had the tech to get here, believe me, they would not have to hide! There presence would be made so you you could get out your camera and take a real good pic, or a movie for that matter
biggrin.gif

There are some clever authors out there who have made a lot money duping you all
wink.gif

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vspec View Post

It looks more like a metroid than a space invader.
Yup. But seriously NASA really needs to find something constructive to do. "Hey, it looks like a..." yea those kids need a bike or a baseball or something.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
I can't blame NASA for trying to get people interested in what they are doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMattes View Post

Intelligent race?
What are you talking about..
Where's the first one??
You make a valid point.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by un-midas touch View Post

Yup. But seriously NASA really needs to find something constructive to do. "Hey, it looks like a..." yea those kids need a bike or a baseball or something.
Why are you assuming NASA was actively looking for silly shapes? You think gizmodo is the forum of publication for NASA? Go look at astronomy and cosmology journals and see what actual research is being done.

This is like if a cancer researcher came across something that vaguely resembled Homer Simpson in the microscope and just posted it online for sites like these.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faraz View Post

Why are you assuming NASA was actively looking for silly shapes? You think gizmodo is the forum of publication for NASA? Go look at astronomy and cosmology journals and see what actual research is being done.

This is like if a cancer researcher came across something that vaguely resembled Homer Simpson in the microscope and just posted it online for sites like these.
Oh I'm sorry I didn't realize this thread was to be taken seriously.

·
Registered
123 Posts
"Chamomiles Davis
NASA would have spotted this image sooner if they had looked at where it was going to be, instead of where it just was. "

Best comment ever.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Not even gonna comment. Oh wait, I just did.
doh.gif

1 - 20 of 26 Posts