Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

Quote:

We were operating on the presumption that nothing's there. It was a shrimp you'd enjoy having on your plate. We were just gaga over it.

Those are the words of NASA's Robert Bindschadler. Until now, scientists thought that only microbial life could live under these conditions. Stacy Kimâ€"one of the biologists in NASA's ice science teamâ€"says that they don't really have a clue about what is happening down there, but that it is highly improbable that these animals swam all the way from open water.

SOURCE
Pretty amazing stuff

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
wait,
is this on Earth?

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
After reading this article, i believe more and more that there must be life forms on Europa the frozen moon of Jupiter.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowclock
View Post

There is actually an entire race of aliens living under Antarctica that we don't know about....wouldn't that be fun.

They wouldn't be aliens as much as an undiscovered species

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Shrimp...FROM SPACE!!! lol

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Basically, the scientist were shocked, SHOCKED, I tell ya, to drill a 6 inch hole in the ice and send down a camera and have a shrimp looking back at them. (+ bonus jellyfish). It's a system that doesn't get any sunlight, so by virtue that the ecosystem there is succesfully feeding relatively large & complex critters, it gives us hope for places like Europa that have a similar lack of sunlight to drive a system.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mjolnir
View Post

Basically, the scientist were shocked, SHOCKED, I tell ya, to drill a 6 inch hole in the ice and send down a camera and have a shrimp looking back at them. (+ bonus jellyfish). It's a system that doesn't get any sunlight, so by virtue that the ecosystem there is succesfully feeding relatively large & complex critters, it gives us hope for places like Europa that have a similar lack of sunlight to drive a system.

Yep very possible that there are life forms under the thick icy surface of Europa. I wish i could see us humans land on there sometime in my life time.

·
Banned
3,749 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cubanresourceful View Post
Sounds expensive....
It's actually an Ethiopian delicacy. But don't tell George Clooney, he still thinks they're his pet goldfish, Henry and Delilah.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Why were they so shocked? Obviously if they are drilling 600 feet into the ice and sending a camera down they are looking for something. I mean they had to expect to find something.

Still I think its pretty cool that life could exist in other places in the universe.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Surprising that, of all things, they would find a shrimp-like creature and jellyfish down there.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyPainter
View Post

Surprising that, of all things, they would find a shrimp-like creature and jellyfish down there.

Why is that surprising? I mean, yea the fact that it can live down there is, but what other animals were you expecting?

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
That is cool!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madman340 View Post
No, we found shrimp on another planet.

Would make for a much larger discovery, wouldn't it

1 - 20 of 28 Posts