1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
d4e812df3deb1f810b6c0118e3b89e23.jpg

Source

Quote:
Ultimately, while he admits that iOS is more immediately user-friendly, he went on to explain that with Android phones "if you're willing to do the work to understand it a little bit, well I hate to say it, but there's more available in some ways."
Quote:
Still, fan boys needn't worry their pretty little heads. Because Woz is proud that the iPhone is simple for you to use! "For that kind of person who is scared of complexity, well, here's a phone that is simple to use and does what you need it to do," he said. Apple: happy to make tech for people that are scared of tech.
The great Woz has spoken. As said in the article, he still uses his iPhone as a primary device while still admitting the shortcomings of iOS and that Android is much more capable in other areas. You can't really fault him for taking different sides; he's a tech enthusiast and doesn't need to patronize any one brand or OS.

So everyone, what say you on his opinion?
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
The biggest shortcoming Android has is that with each new phone (compare # of different Android phones with number of iPhone models) there is the chance that some hardware or firmware got screwed up for some percentage of the phones shipped, and that the phone has problems as a consequence.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
So, is he the head of apple, the way Jobs was since Woz was the Co-Founder, IIRC?

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsoviet View Post

d4e812df3deb1f810b6c0118e3b89e23.jpg

Source

Quote:
Ultimately, while he admits that iOS is more immediately user-friendly, he went on to explain that with Android phones "if you're willing to do the work to understand it a little bit, well I hate to say it, but there's more available in some ways."
Quote:
Still, fan boys needn't worry their pretty little heads. Because Woz is proud that the iPhone is simple for you to use! "For that kind of person who is scared of complexity, well, here's a phone that is simple to use and does what you need it to do," he said. Apple: happy to make tech for people that are scared of tech.
The great Woz has spoken. As said in the article, he still uses his iPhone as a primary device while still admitting the shortcomings of iOS and that Android is much more capable in other areas. You can't really fault him for taking different sides; he's a tech enthusiast and doesn't need to patronize any one brand or OS.

So everyone, what say you on his opinion?
biggrin.gif
i agree. iOS has its benefits, as does Android. up to the user to decide

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post

Why can't more people have this rational and logical viewpoint? I've never really understood flameboy wars over this stuff, lol. My wife has the 4S, I've got the Nexus, and I love using both phones. Smooth and fast and user-friendly, glad to see Woz gets it
cheers.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: GivingHope

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
The Woz speaks the truth, I respect this man.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Seems right to me. Both have their Pro's and Con's.

Like said above, it's just user preference. Same for anything a consumer purchases. Even toilet paper.
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Well, the page isn't loading atm, so I can't see the whole interview, but from the snippets in the OP, I would agree wholeheartedly.

One of the major up-sides to iOS is its simplicity of the UI. One of the major down-sides to android is the complexity of the UI (until you've finally customized it to your liking).

I have no interest in having an iphone. I have an adroid phone. I don't really think android is a good OS. Think I said this in another thread somewhere. People have gotten so consumed and excited about the idea of root + flash that they can't see how complicated and non-intuitive android is. One of the things people love about it is how customizable and tweakable it is. That's great, but it doesn't change the fact that a user must go through many more user interactions to accomplish a similar result with android than with other mobile OS UI's--unless the user has properly configured their live widgets, etc., which aren't always possible on some handsets/OS versions. You shouldn't have to root + flash to get the proper functionality, UI experience, and performance you desire from a handset OS...

I do like the idea that I can "do" more on my android phone than I can on my ipod touch, but I like the front end of the iOS interface so much more.

Really hoping the next round of windows phones helps to change the game and force all the other mobile OS makers to step up their game. It's interesting to think that iOS was pretty stagnant until android devices became more popular. I hope a similar effect is seen with windows phone.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post

Well, the page isn't loading atm, so I can't see the whole interview, but from the snippets in the OP, I would agree wholeheartedly.
One of the major up-sides to iOS is its simplicity of the UI. One of the major down-sides to android is the complexity of the UI (until you've finally customized it to your liking).
I have no interest in having an iphone. I have an adroid phone. I don't really think android is a good OS. Think I said this in another thread somewhere. People have gotten so consumed and excited about the idea of root + flash that they can't see how complicated and non-intuitive android is. One of the things people love about it is how customizable and tweakable it is. That's great, but it doesn't change the fact that a user must go through many more user interactions to accomplish a similar result with android than with other mobile OS UI's--unless the user has properly configured their live widgets, etc., which aren't always possible on some handsets/OS versions. You shouldn't have to root + flash to get the proper functionality, UI experience, and performance you desire from a handset OS...
I do like the idea that I can "do" more on my android phone than I can on my ipod touch, but I like the front end of the iOS interface so much more.
Really hoping the next round of windows phones helps to change the game and force all the other mobile OS makers to step up their game. It's interesting to think that iOS was pretty stagnant until android devices became more popular. I hope a similar effect is seen with windows phone.
Steve Wozniak On iPhone vs Android

Woz never fails to impress me. If the man has opinions, he doesn't mind sharing them, whatever the consequences. I just didn't expect him to openly admit to preferring many Android features over those of his iPhone.

Speaking to The Daily Beast, Woz openly chatted about the pros and cons of Android. "My primary phone is the iPhone," Woz said. "I love the beauty of it. But I wish it did all the things my Android does, I really do."

What things, Woz, what things? Turns out he's particularly impressed by, of all things, the voice recognition, GPS navigation and, since the launch of the iPhone 4S, battery life.

It doesn't come as a huge shock that Woz likes Android. After all, he headed straight to Google HQ to pick up a pre-release Galaxy Nexus.

It also turns out that, just like us, Woz isn't currently a huge fan of Siri. Speaking again to the Daily Beast, he said:

"I used to ask Siri, 'What are the five biggest lakes in California?' and it would come back with the answer. Now it just misses. It gives me real estate listings. I used to ask, 'What are the prime numbers greater than 87?' and it would answer. Now instead of getting prime numbers, I get listings for prime rib, or prime real estate.

"With the iPhone 4 I could press a button and call my wife. Now on the 4S I can only do that when Siri can connect over the Internet. But many times it can't connect. I've never had Android come back and say, 'I can't connect over the Internet.'"

Still, fan boys needn't worry their pretty little heads. Because Woz is proud that the iPhone is simple for you to use! "For that kind of person who is scared of complexity, well, here's a phone that is simple to use and does what you need it to do," he said. Apple: happy to make tech for people that are scared of tech. [The Daily Beast; Image: OnInnovation]

·
Registered
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post

I agree with this. I myself use Android and I love it. I don't like Apple as a company because I feel that they have lost their way.... strayed from the path so to speak.

I do recommend iPhone to my less tech savvy users... some of them have a hard time learning how to get email on iOS so I know Android is out of the question. Like Woz said... "if you're willing to do the work to understand it a little bit....", and some people aren't, some can't.

"Apple: happy to make tech for people that are scared of tech." Great tag line. They should replace "Think Different" with that. lol

·
Registered
855 Posts
pretty honest and objective, coming from a man that firmly has his interest (he owns a big chunk of apple) in one camp.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Ice Cream Sanwich is so much better than previous versions of android in terms of UI design and the user experience it provides.

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,086 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I thought that was a really fair assesment. For 90% of people who just want a phone that works, with safe apps the iphone is great. For anything more Android is better at the cost of stability.

I think ICS with it's more unified style and better stability will bridge the gap more and really take the fight to Apple.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
well the guy did get a pre-release Nexus from Google. I'm sure he's a fan.

i would also agree, for those that want a phone that just works, iphone.

Android if you want to toy and play around with it, installing custom ROMs, beta LTE radios, etc.

that said, i'm in the first camp, but i have an unrooted GNex using it without anything special done to it. Works fine.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.