1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YES!!!!

I FINALLY DID IT!!!
I GOT FEDORA CORE 3 TO WORK!!! W00T!!!!!!!!!!!!111
I went to our library after school because I was bored, and I found the Linux Bible 2005 Edition with free linux disks!! I thought, what the hell, and checked it out. I ran fedora setup as smooth as silk! 25 minutes from the time I booted from CD! I have 3 partitions on linux, I forgot what they are, and I kept 4 for windows. Now I have 7 partitions on a 120GB HDD.

I have a few problems though:
1. No internet - can't figure out how to get my drivers to work
2. No sound - can't update them without internet
3. No access to windows partitions (NTFS)
4. Graphics suck because nVidia doesn't support DRI....
5. No printer drivers.... one year late on this.... it has psc 1300, but not 1400.
6. I find another one soon....

Now I need to find out how to solve the above problems, maybe get a x550 to replace my 6600 (6600 would go to dell upgrade, so x550 is free to me), and get some kick-ass games for this!(or find a way to force directx to linux)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
number 1, and 2 is my prob with linux. after i installed ubuntu i suddenly realized how complicated connecting to a wireless network is, or setting up sound

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by klewiss

YES!!!!

I FINALLY DID IT!!!
I GOT FEDORA CORE 3 TO WORK!!! W00T!!!!!!!!!!!!111
I went to our library after school because I was bored, and I found the Linux Bible 2005 Edition with free linux disks!! I thought, what the hell, and checked it out. I ran fedora setup as smooth as silk! 25 minutes from the time I booted from CD! I have 3 partitions on linux, I forgot what they are, and I kept 4 for windows. Now I have 7 partitions on a 120GB HDD.

I have a few problems though:
1. No internet - can't figure out how to get my drivers to work
2. No sound - can't update them without internet
3. No access to windows partitions (NTFS)
4. Graphics suck because nVidia doesn't support DRI....
5. No printer drivers.... one year late on this.... it has psc 1300, but not 1400.
6. I find another one soon....

Know I need to find out how to solve the above problems, maybe get a x550 to replace my 6600 (6600 would go to dell upgrade, so x550 is free to me), and get some kick-ass games for this!(or find a way to force directx to linux)

klewiss, what desktop environment are you using? gnome or KDE? KDE will let you access your windows partitions via samba, but gnome won't.

also, I'd recommend personally, mandriva '06, because everything worked great for me.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
I have problems with my wireless internet on it...but linx certainly passed my strain tests, i ran 300 different windows in linux and still had plenty of resources to play over 40 games simeltamiously of ktron.

·
Premium Member
4,724 Posts
Thats weird, I used a different distro (ubuntu) and it automatically connected me to the net and sound worked immediately after instalation.

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
I liked SuSE 10 w/ KDE the best. Get the trial version which lasts forever but actually comes with some closed-source software. Great noob distro.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by selectodude

I liked SuSE 10 w/ KDE the best. Get the trial version which lasts forever but actually comes with some closed-source software. Great noob distro.

suse's too proprietary, so no I don't think that its a good noob one. Mandriva '06/ ubuntu are the best that I've used, because if you use it, you can pretty much do what you want to em.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
1. What's your network card? Do you primarily use a wireless connection?

3. mount -t ntfs /dev/hdX /mnt/mountpoint
where X is the partition number of your Windows partition

4. nVidia's drivers are superior to DRI and ATi's garbage. You'll need internet access to get them, though.

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xaimus

1. What's your network card? Do you primarily use a wireless connection?

3. mount -t ntfs /dev/hdX /mnt/mountpoint
where X is the partition number of your Windows partition

4. nVidia's drivers are superior to DRI and ATi's garbage. You'll need internet access to get them, though.

1. Trendnet TEW-423PI Revision A:

3. Hmm... I just read it over again... guess you're right.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Is it at possible for you to use an ethernet connection to connect to the Internet, to get drivers for your card?

Anyhow, I'm going to start looking for drivers. Hopefully, you wont need to resort to the NDISWrapper. This page may be of use to you:
http://featherlinux.berlios.de/phpBB...ic.php?p=8767&

Quote:

Originally Posted by klewiss

The following link probably explains it better than I could:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub...h_filesys.html
You'll want to open a terminal, and type:
mount -t ntfs /dev/hdYX /mnt/mountpoint
where /dev/hdYX is the path to the partition Windows resides on, and /mnt/mountpoint is a directory you want to mount it to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts