Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Post:

Has anyone here done the Glossy U2711 Mod?

I just got my U2711 today and first thing I noticed was the AG coating. I didn't know what it was at first til seeing other users complaining about it.

I'm about to do it right now after just getting it. I got it used too, not sure how old it is, but I can't stand the AG. If a few hours will make it the way it's meant to be I'll do it.

Edit: Going to buy distilled water and paper towels.

It's just removing the anti glare film/coat, but apparently it's tricky with the U2711, so I hope mine doesn't go awry.

Here is where I first saw it:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1035794974

And here's the guide he used:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=878149

I'm following a more step by step, mainly more into how to get the panel out of the bezel:

Post 35

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=878149&page=3

BEFORE:

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0578.JPG

IN BETWEEN:

IMG_0612.JPG

AFTER:

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just started soaking it. I've been taking plenty of pictures + video.

I did a bit more reading and it seems a bunch of ppl that try this mess up the polarizer film. I ordered a protective glossy film to replace the AG film I take off. It gets here tomorrow, so hopefully it doesn't crack or something in 24 hours.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Hmm, interesting. I personally love the AG on my U2711, but I know why they can think it appears blurry, I hate reflective monitors. Then again, glossy screens do look much crisper.

Each to their own.

Be good to see how this turns out, I could never do anything like this to mine for fear of breaking it,
redface.gif

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Oh my lord I just read through the guide, it looks much better glossy, but it's a hell of a big risk.

Take lots of pictures, if it goes well I may even pluck up the courage to give it a go.

Good luck, man.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They found if you break the polarizer you can get it replaced...for ~$250. Better than no fix. Uploading pics. Still soaking.

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Still, it's a scary concept. It's like trying to touch up the Mona Lisa, one slip and boom
redface.gif

Again, good luck to you, can't wait for the pictures. Maybe when you have done it we can run some Games or pictures and take photos and compare AG to non AG, that'd be interesting.

I saw they did it in the thread you linked, but not to a good extent.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinWaffle;11917592
Looking good, how long have you been soaking it for?

Edit: you are not worried at all?! I'd need to wear a diaper if I did this,
tongue.gif
About an hour now, I tried peeling it half way as some guy got his off after 30 minutes. I'm figuring the less time the water is on there, the less chance the polarizer gets damaged.

Edit: Forgot to mention this is my first hardware mod...on anything. Not really a mod though I think, it's simple, just risky!

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aden Florian;11917624
About an hour now, I tried peeling it half way as some guy got his off after 30 minutes. I'm figuring the less time the water is on there, the less chance the polarizer gets damaged.
Yeah, I assume so. What is the function of the Polarizer anyhow, what will happen if it gets damaged?
Quote:
Edit: Forgot to mention this is my first hardware mod...on anything. Not really a mod though I think, it's simple, just risky!
As Boyd said, massive plums.
eek.gif

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
First peel attempt tore, I got maybe 1/10 off, but now it makes soaking again more complicated trying not to get the polarizer wet.

Here's what can happen to the polarizer:

p6230172.jpg

p6230175a.jpg

·
Registered
564 Posts
oh noes

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.