Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've heard a number of times on these forums that glycerin and dish washing liquid help with thermal transfer, the dish washing liquid is just supposed to reduce surface tension of the water for better performance.

Where does one get glycerin to use? Would any soap and dish washing liquid be ok or is something more pure needed?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
I think the thought behind the glycerin is for lubricating the pump..but I could be wrong. Ethylene glycol also has a lubricating effect.

Glycerin is a a baby supposotory you can buy at any pharmacy, look for BabyLax, comes in little tubes.

That or maybe it just gives your system the runs!

·
Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could be, also the dish washing additive seems true also:

Quote:
Lowers the surface tension of the water, emulsifies oil, lipid and fat food deposits, prevents droplet spotting on drying.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dishwasher

I'm not sure how much effect reducing surface tension has, but it must be something because most coolants include some kind of additive to do this.

·
Registered
427 Posts
pure distilled water has the best thermal transfer, hands down

any additives will lessen its ability

surface tension only matters if the water is boiling on the source of heat, in which case a surface tension reducer would make bubbles smaller, once again returning the transfer to normal

here is a flash demonstration http://www.redlineoil.com/products_c...coolantFlash=1

to wrap up, unless your water is boiling on your CPU or GPU block, straight distilled water is best.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Glycerin aids the thermal transfer of the water and is a pump lube...I get it in 4 ounce bottles at a drug-store...Dish-washing liquid breaks the surface tension, only use a couple of drops in your loop, it will also help thermal transfer, it softens the water...I mix about an ounce and a half of glycerin to 40 ounces of distilled, 2 drops of the dish-washing soap, 4 ounces of Pentosin and 2 drops of PT Nuke....

EDIT: I use the blue "Dawn" dish-washing soap but I would think any would do...I don't think I would use the scented kind...

...UV Blue Pentosin

...PT Nuke

1 - 5 of 5 Posts