Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to soak up the info for a couple of weeks and I'm getting really close to putting the loop together. I have all my parts and I'm just waiting until I finish modding my rocketfish to put it all in.

I forgot who it is, but he always recommends using only distilled and PT nuke. That's all that I planned on using but I kind of want some color in my loop. Now I really don't want to have to order dye, then pay ridiculous amounts for shipping. I have some BMW anitfreeze that is dark blue that I was thinking about adding to give a little color to my loop.

I read somewhere that VW antifreeze works well, I only want to add just a little for the dye effect. I had mixed it 50/50 with distilled when I flushed changed the coolant in my car and I have about half a gallon left of the mixed solution. I was thinking on diluting it some more then adding it to the loop. Hopefully it wouldn't negatively affect anything and it'd have a bluish tint to it.

Think this would work?

There was also some really nice guide in pdf that someone wrote on how to set things up but I can't find it anymore.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
If you want dye just use highlighters... it works

Don't add too much antifreeze to your loop as it is not as effective in transfering heat as pure distilled. The more you add to your distilled the less effective it is.

i use a 1/20 mix of antifreeze to distilled mix is good enough

ocing noob will post here in a minute with that guide lol... or is it ira-k?

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
I better leave it then..
..But yeah you don't want to add to much anti-freeze as a coloring, it will hurt temp's, I wouldn't go over 15%, I use around 10% the rest distilled, all my recipe is in this PDF I'll leave you..

Its based on this..Pentosin .If you have a Audi/VW dealership near you it can be had for less then $10 a liter, I just use it as a Ph buffer, blue is G11 and reddish/pink is G12..

This is some really nice copper based biocide...PT Nuke

Then a couple of other things you can fund locally that act as water wetters..

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, thats exactly what I was looking for. Based on what you say, I'd assume that VW anifreeze is pretty close to BMW antifreeze since they are both the same color, both for german cars...

If I were to go by your calculations, I can use 10:1 of that BMW antifreeze that I have lying around with some distilled water. Add a drop or two of both PT nuke and dish washing soap. I don't know what that glycerin is, but I already have the PT nuke.

Just to sample the color, I did a 10:1 mix of the bmw antifreeze with some plain water and this is what it looked like

This is also how the coolant looks 50/50, which is what was left over from when I did the coolant on my car.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Yeah that should work fine, anti-freeze is anti-freeze, I'm just using plain Prestone now. That made a real nice looking blue ..
..I like that..

You can get glycerin at just about any drug store, at mine I get it in little 4 ounce bottles for 3 or 4 bux, its used for a lot of things, from a baby laxative to removing make-up..You can run with-out it if you like, its not going to make or break your temp's...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts