Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Senior OCN Member
39,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Pretty interesting and maybe this will be a better option then most of the CLC crap on the market

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Pretty interesting and maybe this will be a better option then most of the CLC crap on the market

? it has the same 100% thermals as an asetek 280mm and with in error margin of other asetek units at noise normalised dba while costing significantly more cash. I can watercool my gpu and cpu for the cost of one of those units using two AIO's.

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
Yeap, total fail. Why go to all this trouble and extra money and extra component weight/dimensions/chassis issues only so as to get standardized 280s thermal dissipation..?
Rhetorical question; you don't :)

What is of note here is the conclusion of this "review":
1) They show how it performs identically to units costing 100 bucks or so less, yet proceed to call it "excellent" nonetheless.
2) They count its allowing for an expansion (ie so one may add a GPU) as a bonus, when i) considering its thermals, why would one add even more to it, they'd be worse off than they'd be with an air blower and ii) the cost for such an expansion is at best prohibitive as there are "gaming" liquid cooling kits that perform similarly; or more to the point, GPU-centric solutions; that also cost less.
And yet, "excellent" product.

Had a lot of respect for Steve, his videos are are on a different level than most (numbers rather than wow-factor builds, hype-diffusing rather than regurgitating, etc) but this? Second time and in a row too. Their previous video has a wonderful title of "AMD APU crashes", giving the impression we're in for a Ryzen-two-point-o kind of launch, when in fact it was two non-AMD related software suites that simply needed updating. That's all, a mere updating. Talk about building the wrong image.
Disappointing.

As to EK, like i said and people got angry, they've managed to become the 'Asus' of water cooling. There's money to be made when you're the 'Asus' of something, but not much in terms of quality. I sincerely hope they enjoy their profits (ain't easy and hats off to them for making it there), but i'm more and more inclined to look elsewhere.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,218 Posts
Yeap, total fail. Why go to all this trouble and extra money and extra component weight/dimensions/chassis issues only so as to get standardized 280s thermal dissipation..?
Rhetorical question; you don't :)

What is of note here is the conclusion of this "review":
1) They show how it performs identically to units costing 100 bucks or so less, yet proceed to call it "excellent" nonetheless.
2) They count its allowing for an expansion (ie so one may add a GPU) as a bonus, when i) considering its thermals, why would one add even more to it, they'd be worse off than they'd be with an air blower and ii) the cost for such an expansion is at best prohibitive as there are "gaming" liquid cooling kits that perform similarly; or more to the point, GPU-centric solutions; that also cost less.
And yet, "excellent" product.

Had a lot of respect for Steve, his videos are are on a different level than most (numbers rather than wow-factor builds, hype-diffusing rather than regurgitating, etc) but this? Second time and in a row too. Their previous video has a wonderful title of "AMD APU crashes", giving the impression we're in for a Ryzen-two-point-o kind of launch, when in fact it was two non-AMD related software suites that simply needed updating. That's all, a mere updating. Talk about building the wrong image.
Disappointing.

As to EK, like i said and people got angry, they've managed to become the 'Asus' of water cooling. There's money to be made when you're the 'Asus' of something, but not much in terms of quality. I sincerely hope they enjoy their profits (ain't easy and hats off to them for making it there), but i'm more and more inclined to look elsewhere.
I see them as much more the 'Corsair' of liquid cooling. A couple of very good products that they built a reputation on, followed by a slew of overpriced, mediocre products. EK makes very good blocks for the most part. They should stick to making good blocks and forget about the other lackluster components they are marketing.

This whole aluminum series was an absurd idea from the start. We already have the awful Asetek units to show how bad of an idea it is. Why does anyone need to make bad cooling solutions expandable?

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
I see them as much more the 'Corsair' of liquid cooling ... We already have the awful Asetek units

I've mixed feelings about Corsair, or rather, component-dependent ones :)
- I would disagree with you 100% regarding their AIOs, have used almost all of them in one build or another (family ones included obviously) and have had zero issues or complaints, ever. I could name you heavily OCed CPUs i run on a steady 24/7 schedule that are way below the 70s even under Prime, so like i said, considering that's coming from a cheap mass-targetted AIO? No complaint.
(perhaps one could single out their latest, the 360 one, which in terms of performance is rather lacking. But then that would be their own fault, as it is clearly meant for the "must be quiet" ""sensitive"" type of people. And in matters of noise-versus-temps, it also performs admirably)
- I do however religiously avoid their RAMs (as things are, it's like asking for trouble) and have also come to develop a negative impression regarding their peripherals; mostly 'cause they're made of as much plastic as they can get away with.
Since however you mentioned cooling in specific, i'd check things out a bit more in your shoes.

As to your latter observation? One only has to read this very review to comprehend just how wrong this kind of thinking is (regarding Asetek units i mean).
I fail to see what's awful in a unit that costs peanuts compared to a proper liquid cooling solution, does its job and then some and even comes with software so as to further ensure it can accommodate everyone. Units such as Corsair's 115i v2 or EVGA's 280 CLC put an end to all this, or should have, if bias was not a factor. Sorry.
(have mentioned this elsewhere, the one thing Asetek should be condemned for is its practices, namely dragging everyone to court for no good reason and having managed to pretty much become the one player in the AIO pump business by means of excluding everyone else. But abhorring as such practices are, they've nothing to do with their pumps' performance, nor are they a reason to keep repeating this "Asetek fail" i keep seeing in this forum. Facts are facts. Some.. 'trends' in this forum i just cannot grasp. Do people even use these "Asetek fails" before forming an opinion?)

We do agree that EK made some very good CPU blocks and it's the same exact pattern that they continue to use on their newer ones, where (die size) applicable. And that is where the emphasis lies, on 'made'; past tense. I look at newer designs (or lack of), i look at the competition and i ultimately look at the price differences and i get as clear an image as i need it to be. I will still consider them, but only because no one else makes cpu+vrm monoblocks and only if i cannot find a separate VRM cooling solution elsewhere. If i can? I steer clear altogether.
Again, just my opinion :)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
This whole aluminum series was an absurd idea from the start. We already have the awful Asetek units to show how bad of an idea it is. Why does anyone need to make bad cooling solutions expandable?

so awful that they cool just as well as a full copper system. you don't half talk nonsense.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,218 Posts
so awful that they cool just as well as a full copper system. you don't half talk nonsense.
If believing that helps you sleep at night, you go right on doing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts