1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the 4090 will be 1600USD, ~Oct 12
The 4080 16GB more cores, 256-bit , 1200USD I think ~Nov3rd
The 4080 12GB has less cores/, only 192-bit, 900USD

And AMD announced they will paper launch RX7000 on Nov3rd, just before 4080 iirc.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Welp, like the poor that I am, here I come 7900XT.

• Rep+
Reactions: speed_demon

·
Overclocker
5,394 Posts

Here is some info on why OFA is not available on the 3000 series gpus.

"Introducing NVIDIA DLSS 3 – A Revolution in Neural Graphics
DLSS 3 is a revolutionary breakthrough in AI-powered graphics that massively boosts performance, while maintaining great image quality and responsiveness. Building upon DLSS Super Resolution, DLSS 3 adds Optical Multi Frame Generation to generate entirely new frames, and integrates NVIDIA Reflex low latency technology for optimal responsiveness. DLSS 3 is powered by the new fourth-generation Tensor Cores and Optical Flow Accelerator of the NVIDIA Ada Lovelace architecture, which powers GeForce RTX 40 Series graphics cards. "

NVENC
"GeForce RTX 4090 and GeForce RTX 4080 graphics cards feature two of our new eighth-generation NVIDIA Encoders (NVENC), now with support for AV1 encoding, enabling a raft of new possibilities for livestreamers, video editors and video callers.
For livestreamers, AV1 improves encoding efficiency by 40% - your livestreams will look as if you were using 40% more bitrate. OBS Studio, the leading streaming app, is collaborating with NVIDIA to enable AV1 encoding within its next software release, expected in October.

For video editors, the dual encoders are up to 2X faster, saving creators hours upon hours each week. We’ve collaborated with DaVinci Resolve, Voukoder - a popular plugin for Adobe Premiere Pro - and Jianying - China’s most popular video editing app - to enable this feature on the top video editing apps. The updates will be available in October. And if you are interested in capturing high-res content for your videos, GeForce Experience users with GeForce RTX 40 Series graphics cards can now use NVIDIA ShadowPlay to capture gameplay at up to 8K at 60 FPS, in HDR."

It's also been said that the lower variant 4080 (yes there are two 4080's) is a rebadged 4070.

4090 performance with 4K/RT without DLSS

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Super disappointed by DP 1.4a. I have a 3080 now, recently tested a Neo G8 at 4k 240hz and I could only use that monitor on its own if i plugged in my 1440p 165hz monitor I had to drop the Neo G8 to 4k 120hz to use both monitors. Fingers crossed AMD has DP 2.0. though I'd much prefer to stay with Nvidia for some of their features.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So with the AI, are they just analyzing the data better to predict patterns in how they draw stuff, so it's just better and faster data analysis, so that they can make more predictions, which would cut down on some other calculations ?

·
Registered
3700x, 4x8GB 3200C16, x570 Aorus, RTX2070S, LG C1 | 3770x, 4x8GB 2400C12, z77-UD3H, GTX1070, VG248QE
1,268 Posts
Super disappointed by DP 1.4a. I have a 3080 now, recently tested a Neo G8 at 4k 240hz and I could only use that monitor on its own if i plugged in my 1440p 165hz monitor I had to drop the Neo G8 to 4k 120hz to use both monitors. Fingers crossed AMD has DP 2.0. though I'd much prefer to stay with Nvidia for some of their features.
How many displayport ports do you have? Don't you have to stagger them if you want full bandwidth? e.g. if you have four ports you need to use port 1 and 3.

·
Iconoclast
32,822 Posts
Super disappointed by DP 1.4a.
Lack of DP 2.0 is a rather glaring omission and is the single biggest factor, short of physical size, that might lead me to prefer AMD for my next upgrade.

• Rep+
Reactions: Sir Beregond

·
LTSC for life crew
4,633 Posts
I am just not impressed with their ray traced game performance in cyberpunk and in Microsoft fight simulator before they enable DLSS. For a video card that they are charging $1600 plus for I find that very disappointing.
Absolutely agree. For the number of cores and the clock speed the 4090 seems to be less the juggernaut of performance it should be. Nvidia relying heavily on DLSS 3.0 seems like a crutch to me, almost like their performance gains year over year did not meet their goals and they had to improvise.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
How many displayport ports do you have? Don't you have to stagger them if you want full bandwidth? e.g. if you have four ports you need to use port 1 and 3.
3080 ftw3 ultra only 3 dp ports and one hdmi 2.1. My regular setup is a 42 c2 using hdmi 2.1 and the monitor on the side using DP. Honestly don't really care too much the Neo G8 is garbage compared to the OLED lol, I just wanted to see how bad it was for myself I guess.

·
Registered
3700x, 4x8GB 3200C16, x570 Aorus, RTX2070S, LG C1 | 3770x, 4x8GB 2400C12, z77-UD3H, GTX1070, VG248QE
1,268 Posts
3080 ftw3 ultra only 3 dp ports and one hdmi 2.1. My regular setup is a 42 c2 using hdmi 2.1 and the monitor on the side using DP. Honestly don't really care too much the Neo G8 is garbage compared to the OLED lol, I just wanted to see how bad it was for myself I guess.
Np, just an FYI I suppose to people who didn't realise, especially since theres a lot of posts saying DP1.4 can't power high-end displays when it can with DSC, or saying DSC is a bad thing (lol).

The important part:

When a display is connected to the GPU and is set to DSC mode, the GPU may use two internal heads to drive the display when the pixel rate needed to drive the display mode exceeds the GPU’s single head limit. This may affect your display topology when using multiple monitors. For example if two displays with support for DSC are connected to a single GeForce GPU, all 4 internal heads will be utilized and you will not be able to use a third monitor with the GPU at the same time.

Yea it's a shame DP2.0 wasn't put in the roadmap for 4xxx but majority of setups DP1.4 DSC and HDMI2.1 port should still suffice.

• Rep+
Reactions: Blameless

·
WaterCooler
5,258 Posts
How's the 42 C2? I picked up the 48 C1 on sale for $790, been liking it a lot, though does feel slightly too big. I might wait till the 42 C2 hits those sorts of on sale prices next year and then retire this to the living room and use the C2 as a monitor. Been using HDMI 2.1 as well.

Then again, I don't need to spend any more money on this stuff. 😂

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
How's the 42 C2? I picked up the 48 C1 on sale for $790, been liking it a lot, though does feel slightly too big. I might wait till the 42 C2 hits those sorts of on sale prices next year and then retire this to the living room and use the C2 as a monitor. Been using HDMI 2.1 as well.

Then again, I don't need to spend any more money on this stuff. 😂
I got lucky I had a 48CX for almost two years had 7k hours on it, then did a pixel check and found like 50+ bad pixels around the perimeter of the display. I bought from Costco so 5 years total warranty ended up being able to return it for a full refund and bought the 42 C2 for less than I paid for the CX. At first it felt small on my wall obviously, now it feels the same as the CX as if i didn't change a thing, which is another way of saying the picture quality is identical just a bit sharper due to pixel density.

I'm happy with the display but I REALLY want to have at least 240hz with OLED, that would be a massive jump and so far only a laptop does it and it looks glorious

HDTV Test:

·
WaterCooler
5,258 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts