Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize a lot of people have switched to Win 7, even as their main OS. Everyone talks about how great it is and how it's the best. I tried build 7000 64bit at one point and it felt awkward. So, I have some questions before I try the latest update.

1. Are there important programs you can't run in Win7 64bit that you can in Vista 64bit?

2. Do you guys ever get crashes/BSODS/lock ups?

3. Do any programs perform worse in Win7 compared to vista or XP?

4. Are there any other big annoyances you experience?

I'll really appreciate and rep anyone who can provide good answers and/or links

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
Understand W7 is still beta. There will aways be one or two things that dont work

here is what I suggest: Load it up in another partition and see if you like it. if you do, delete your vista Partition and just extend the W7 partition over it to regain space.

I love my Windows 7. Ill never use anything less after being spoiled by its speed and functionality

·
Initializing...
23,796 Posts
Use Vista for now until the full release of Win7.

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Win 7 felt way to ahead of its time, the beta that is. I cherished it until it went haywire and i had to reformat drive, but when it is fully released, im gonna get that **** at midnight!

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
If you can get Build 7048, it's noticeably better than Build 7000 in many aspects once you start working within the OS, and I've been trying to fight the urge to re-format my entire laptop to run only that build.

• Rep+
Reactions: aod2002

·
Overclocked TI-83
671 Posts
I'd be wary of running a beta OS as main because it expires in August, so you could be out of an OS until release.

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
View Post

I'd be wary of running a beta OS as main because it expires in August, so you could be out of an OS until release.

That is true, I forgot to mention that tiny detail.

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
make the switch WHEN w7 goes retail. I have the beta on another PC, its very nice, but it will expire in august and you wont be able to just downgrade to vista and w7 retail wont be out so you will have to back up everything or lose it all. And its not really that much better. Its a little better, but just wait til retail. You could make a partition though.
edit: someone else said everything i said LOL.

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Considering putting this on my 1000HE. Should I even bother partitioning and just keep as main OS over XP Home (yuck).

Is the Win7 beta even still available

·
Premium Member
16,094 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by skatingrocker17
View Post

I use Windows 7 but I dual boot with Vista. I wouldn't use it as my main operating system because it's still in beta and you could have some software issues. Plus the fact that it will be unusable in August.

That's the thing that stops me from trying it out. This and the massive file size.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by XFreeRollerX View Post
Understand W7 is still beta. There will aways be one or two things that dont work

here is what I suggest: Load it up in another partition and see if you like it. if you do, delete your vista Partition and just extend the W7 partition over it to regain space.

I love my Windows 7. Ill never use anything less after being spoiled by its speed and functionality
I went to download the beta today. It gave me a beta key, but then said that beta downloads are no longer available.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I'm still using Win XP PRO. I love Win XP and I will never switch to Vista..I will though, switch to Windows 7 when the official release appears.

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
Wait for Windows 7 RC Release.. they have the Release Candidate coming out around what I'm told is April 10th.. and that will be one of the best builds out.

I currently Dual with 7000.. I haven't upgraded to 7022, or 7048 or whatever since most the Nvidia driver releases, and the Windows support is all for 7000..

wait for RC

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have been using W7 Ult 64 since beta release and I have no issues running anything yet. Initially some problems w/Catalyst but 9.1 resolved all of my issues and all my games are working find (PunkBuster included).

Overall Win7 is what Vista should have been. It brings back some level of sanity to the desktop, reduces memory footprint and seems to genuinely manage memory much better. Also every benchmark I can find is faster then in Vista and either on par with XP or also faster then it there as well.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
I have used XP, Vista and W7 and i can say that W7 is the fastest of all. I am running build 7000.

For those of you trying to find it. M$ released it and the keys to the public then stop the downloads. You can now find the torrent for it and it should be legal

1 - 20 of 27 Posts