Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MAJOR EDIT::
-------------
Okay thought about it more and played more on newegg and i wont be going amd anymore.
The i7 i built will be more performant and costs less...
see for yourself.
(have do ditch asus on this one ... sad)

Thanks to everyone who posted here.

vs

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
the board and card are so expensive. but i guess you're just being a big fan of asus

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Might wanna consider a new CPU cooler. The S1283 isn't too great for quad cores. I suggest going with the S126384. It has a bigger base that will cover the whole top of the CPU unlike the S1283. It also comes with a bolt through with the crossbow back plate.

Id say throw in another 40 on the cpu and get the Phenom II x4 at 3.0ghz. Then OC it. Just to eliminate the chances of a bottleneck.

Any reason you need 8gb of ddr3? I never see a need for more than 4gb of ddr2 let alone ddr3. Unless your doing some HD video editing. Or rendering.

• Rep+
Reactions: Teknix

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerikoh
View Post

the board and card are so expensive. but i guess you're just being a big fan of asus

For boards, always was.
As of the GPU, the cheaper one was a saphire and don't like the stock cooling as much as this one. I do like Asus over Saphire.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sickened1
View Post

Might wanna consider a new CPU cooler. The S1283 isn't too great for quad cores. I suggest going with the S126384. It has a bigger base that will cover the whole top of the CPU unlike the S1283. It also comes with a bolt through with the crossbow back plate.

Id say throw in another 40 on the cpu and get the Phenom II x4 at 3.0ghz. Then OC it. Just to eliminate the chances of a bottleneck.

Any reason you need 8gb of ddr3? I never see a need for more than 4gb of ddr2 let alone ddr3. Unless your doing some HD video editing. Or rendering.

the phenom x4 on there is am2+ , the board is am3
i'm still debating wether to go 8 or 4 gigs of ram, but i tend to enjoy MMOs with everything maxed and in crowded pvp areas i thought 8 gigs could help smooth things up, and would go well with the 64 bits os, still not sure here.

ill definatly be getting another cooler with this info you brought , rep +

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
well it seems you don't mind the cost.

get this one instead:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814121294

you would want to keep the cards as few as you could and avoid crossfirex as possible. especially when you're not used to ati cards coz a lot are complaining about the drivers. (but not me)

you can also wait for the release of 945 for ddr3. or get that 720be and upgrade later.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
That build is great. Absolutely no flaws whatsoever.

You could even save some cash by getting a smaller power supply. A Corsair 850TX would get the job done without a hitch, as your power consumption will be nowhere near 1000W.

• Rep+

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

View Post

well it seems you don't mind the cost.

get this one instead:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814121294

you would want to keep the cards as few as you could and avoid crossfirex as possible. especially when you're not used to ati cards coz a lot are complaining about the drivers. (but not me)

you can also wait for the release of 945 for ddr3. or get that 720be and upgrade later.

But would it really perform better? considering i don't mind spending days tweaking things up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shift.
View Post

That build is great. Absolutely no flaws whatsoever.

You could even save some cash by getting a smaller power supply. A Corsair 850TX would get the job done without a hitch, as your power consumption will be nowhere near 1000W.

not modular :) but definatly a logic option, rep +
thinking about it the TT might not be modular either

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teknix
View Post

But would it really perform better? considering i don't mind spending days tweaking things up.

yes! 1 4870x2 is about the same or a tiny bit less than 4870 crossfired. plus you may want to save another pci-e slot for the incoming 4890(x2 possible, and then crossfire)

plus, that asus 3ple fan is the best cooling solution for that card.

• Rep+

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

View Post

yes! 1 4870x2 is about the same or a tiny bit less than 4870 crossfired. plus you may want to save another pci-e slot for the incoming 4890(x2 possible, and then crossfire)

plus, that asus 3ple fan is the best cooling solution for that card.

sounds fair, definatly be looking into this, still wondering about the 2 gpus sharing same pcie lane vs each gpu on its full 16x

and your suggestion is still asus and i do like that cooling, rep +

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teknix
View Post

not modular :) but definatly a logic option, rep +
thinking about it the TT might not be modular either

No, actually you're right.

The Toughpower W0132RU is the modular version.

There's also the Antec Signature Series, which are great units. Modular as well, and not too expensive either.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16817371009

Best of luck with your purchase my friend.

·
Cheesebumps!!
3,034 Posts
nice build man do you really love asus??

man check the clearance between the case's side panel and your Xiggy HSF..it might result to some clearance probs..

however the 4870x2 as a single card is effective as a 2x4870 on Xfire on that board since it utilizes dual x16 lanes..
single dual gpu cards have some cpu bandwidth issues that i have experienced with my sig card..it pulls my CPU score down a bit..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kairi_zeroblade View Post
nice build man do you really love asus??

man check the clearance between the case's side panel and your Xiggy HSF..it might result to some clearance probs..

however the 4870x2 as a single card is effective as a 2x4870 on Xfire on that board since it utilizes dual x16 lanes..
single dual gpu cards have some cpu bandwidth issues that i have experienced with my sig card..it pulls my CPU score down a bit..
thats what i was thinking, still debating on that one (GPUs).

the hsf should fit in the 1200, my current xiggy fits in the 900 so im pretty convinced.

Yeah like asus cause if anything happens after the one month newegg offers, i can get it replaced from work wich will go faster (we have tons of asus parts in our comps.)

·
Premium Member
16,928 Posts
i'd get either:

a 4870X2
i7

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post
i'd get either:

a 4870X2
i7
4870x2, maybe, dunno, thinking.

i7, no, AMD nostalgy hit me.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Nice build, but some of the things Ive noticed about the your build is the no need for 8g of Ram especially DDR3 and the PSU. I dont personally think that with your setup your gonna need much more then a 850TX and that powersupply is on sale at newegg (in USA at least).

Also the Phenom II 940 is about $60 more then the 720BE. I say get the 720 (my build is going to have one too) and upgragde to whatever new AM3 chips they build in the future. Building on the AM2+ platform in this time with the money your going to spend, severly hampers your ability to upgrade in the future due to the 940 being the biggest and baddest card AMD will build on that arciteture (sp?).

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
7,012 Posts
Honestly how is that an upgrade from what you currently have disregarding video cards?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts