Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i could buy an '77 bonneville heater core or should i just buy a rad? if i buy the heater core, ill have to fix it up, make it look good, make a shroud to mount the fans to and a mount it my case or leave on the desk.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Heatercore

You'll get great temps for nothing. The shroud isn't that much and it's fun to do all of that stuff.

• Rep+
Reactions: Blue_Fire

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Well then make it look pro

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
If you don't want to put any time or effort into it and don't mind spending an extra 20 dollars the black ice x is a nice choice plus a lot easier to mount somewhere than a heatercore. If you like the diy stuff get the heatercore
Id personally get the bix if I could do it again be cause mounting it is kind of a big issue.

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue_Fire

hmmmmmmmmmm

You sure do think a lot...

Get the heatercore, for $13 you can't beat the performance. All you have to do is paint it and put a nice home made shroud on it, and BAM, instant cool-looks (not really like that, but you get the point
).

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well they sell a triple 120mm fan rad. lol the black ice xtream 3 lol. i dunno, what kind of comparison of performance am looking at here? i think i can make a shroud, no problem. but at what performance will i gain over the dual 120mm rad?

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Quote:

well they sell a triple 120mm fan rad. lol the black ice xtream 3 lol. i dunno, what kind of comparison of performance am looking at here? i think i can make a shroud, no problem. but at what performance will i gain over the dual 120mm rad?

The dual HC with a shroud and good fans will beat a BIX III, adding my home made shroud lowered my temps by 9C!!!

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Some_Idiot2

The dual HC with a shroud and good fans will beat a BIX III, adding my home made shroud lowered my temps by 9C!!!

From what I have seen the BIX III will beat a Dual Heatercore with the same fans attached.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
My bad...It was the Thermochill PA 120.3 that's better then the Dual Heatercore.

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snerp

My bad...It was the Thermochill PA 120.3 that's better then the Dual Heatercore.

Yeah, with low speed fans, you cannot beat the PA series. The HE series do better with high CFM fans, 100+ CFM each though.

The PA 120.3 is expensive, but it looks very professional and it is a rock solid performer. I say if you have the cash, go for it 100%

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
PA (left) vs HE (right)

the PA is better than a HE because it basically is a dual heatercore

and they make comp radiators the size of car radiators, it was something like twelve 120 mm fans...

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
If you have the cash, and the room I say do it. But when you're *****in about not having any money don't come crying to me

The Heater Core is the best bang for your buck, but the Thermochill will give you the best temps. If room is no problem at all you should get one of the HUGE rads that Thenut was talking about and see what temps you get. My bet is you'd be .0001 above ambient.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Quote:

Ok i could buy an '77 bonneville heater core or should i just buy a rad? if i buy the heater core, ill have to fix it up, make it look good, make a shroud to mount the fans to and a mount it my case or leave on the desk.

Ever heard of something that was both good and easy?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts