Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Your fine sticking with 4gb unless your actually going to use the 8gb, Like if you render encode HD video and ect ect

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I honestly don't think there are any benefits, except for extra bragging rights. As it stands right now, not that many programs even use all 4 GB's.

I mean look at me. I wish I had 4 GB's, but I still use 2 GB's. I need the upgrade, not you, lol.

·
Banned
5,890 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BioHzrd View Post
What are the benifits of more though ?
You get to be forgetful and lazy! One day I had GTA IV, Crysis, Tomb Raider 5, and two instances of WoW open and my ram usage topped 6GB, but I had no performance loss. My quad might have had a helping hand in that but I'd like to see you do that with 4GB of ram

And no, I didn't mean to have all of those open, I think I might just have ADD

·
Borking Builds Since 2020
861 Posts
Out of the 8Gb I've got, the most I've ever used (without a system stress test, ie OCCT Linpack 90% available memory) is around 2.5Gb and only a couple of games actually get close or a little over 1Gb for RAM usage.

Is it worth it? Meh, bragging rights is about all. I probably would have never gotten the extra 4Gb had I found and read these forums before doing my build.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by reberto View Post
You get to be forgetful and lazy! One day I had GTA IV, Crysis, Tomb Raider 5, and two instances of WoW open and my ram usage topped 6GB, but I had no performance loss. My quad might have had a helping hand in that but I'd like to see you do that with 4GB of ram

And no, I didn't mean to have all of those open, I think I might just have ADD
GTA IV + vista is around 4 gig used already.
GTA IV kinda is the reason why I upgraded to 6 from 3.
Getting 8 seems pointless to me but everyone can upgrade what they want

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I had 4gb of ram until I sold 1 stick and downgraded to 2gb.... So I think even 4gb is overkill.. (I am using XP)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inktfish View Post
GTA IV + vista is around 4 gig used already.
GTA IV kinda is the reason why I upgraded to 6 from 3.
Getting 8 seems pointless to me but everyone can upgrade what they want

Crysis only ever uses around 3GB max and that occurred when i was running a Real life mod which uses super high res textures. I don't see any reason to upgrade, especially because of the performance hit.

·
Banned
5,890 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarngate View Post
I'm sure that maxing out your DIMM's also reduces overall performance on the Northbridge, so unless you are actually using all 8 Gigs then you are doing yourself more harm than good.
On older, crappier chipsets that used to be very true, but my Rampage Formula (X48) has all of its DIMM slots filled and its taken my Q6600 to 3.6ghz 24/7 (1.325 VID @ 1.447v) and did a quick run to 3.8 (crashed after 20 minutes though
)

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Last night I got a low memory warning while surfing the net

well, IMO it is still early for a 8GB, next year it may worth it

·

29,532 Posts
You can never have enough RAM - Vista caches everything, meaning the more RAM the faster your computer should run.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BioHzrd
View Post

Its either that or save some more upgrade to an AM3 board nt DDR3 ram ?

This would be a better choice IMO.

·
Borking Builds Since 2020
861 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BioHzrd
View Post

Its either that or save some more upgrade to an AM3 board nt DDR3 ram ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by budgetgamer
View Post

This would be a better choice IMO.

I agree, upgrade to an AM3 motherboard first, you can always upgrade to 8GB+ ram later.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts