Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi I have a Acer Aspire One 722 with 8gb ram ddr3-1600 samsung moduel at ddr3-1066 and a amd c-50 dual core 1ghz processor with a 128gb liteon ssd which benchmarked limited by the netbooks sata ii interface @ 280MB/s read & 180MB/s write.

This netbook doesn't use pwm for the fan so i cant pull the blue wire to go full speed (it needs more fan speed) since it idles at around 70*C & load browsing the web at around 88*C. The fan is so quiet & i know its not at full speed because it goes full speed during a bios update & cools it down a lot more. Unless someone knows how to enter advanced bios menu in the netbook to adjust the fan?

If I install ubuntu, will i need to install the display driver or will it install automatically?

Also can you assist me with how to control the cpu clock (overclock) & how to control the fan speed in Ubuntu? Since it's basically a good looking Linux essentially.

I plan on selling the device ready for word processing & internet browsing. I'd like to tweak it before hand if possible but will be available to the buyer for long term support.

Thanks

·
Gamer
3,659 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
@paulerxx Thank you also may you suggest a good place for a custom kernel for my CPU, the AMD C-50? I'd like to get it overclocked but I also want to set my fan to full speed. Which distro is compatible with the custom kernel?

This source says this about my APU = Ontario C-50 is just supported in Linux kernel 2.6.38 and above. Driver Amd Fusion C50 For Windows 10 Download (nytrngsecure.com)

Thanks

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
rdr09's recommendation is a good one - copy a few different distros to a USB stick and have a play around to see how they perform. Installed baremetal they'll probably run a little better, but it'll let you know if the desktop environment is too heavy for it.

I'm not a big fan of modern Ubuntu (but then I loathe Gnome Shell) but a lot of the "Ubuntu based" distros are pretty good. I'd suggest Linux Mint MATE (I prefer Cinnamon but it needs more GPU) or an XFCE based distro...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
If I install ubuntu, will i need to install the display driver or will it install automatically?
If the manufacturer does offer Linux drivers support, then your wish will stay as wish.

• Rep+
Reactions: chris89

·
Registered
41 Posts
@paulerxx Thank you also may you suggest a good place for a custom kernel for my CPU, the AMD C-50? I'd like to get it overclocked but I also want to set my fan to full speed. Which distro is compatible with the custom kernel?

This source says this about my APU = Ontario C-50 is just supported in Linux kernel 2.6.38 and above. Driver Amd Fusion C50 For Windows 10 Download (nytrngsecure.com)

Thanks
For custom kernel Id advise you to get the Xanmod kernel, it's a real fast kernel with great support XanMod Kernel I run it on my Debian & Ubuntu Mate install and it flies :) Good luck

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
41 Posts
@jiffysound thank u which one do I download? [ Tree ] [ Tarball ] [ Patch ]
Once you have Ubuntu / Debian installed, you install the kernel via package manager, there are instructions on that page, you scroll down to where it says * Install via Terminal * and you follow the directions posted. First you add the repository, second the gpg key, then you update and install the kernel. If you want more detailed instructions ask me via private message and I am sure to help you out.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Why do you need a custom kernel? If C-50 support has not been explicitly removed in newer kernels, it should be fully supported. You also shouldn't need to install graphics drivers as the AMD driver in the kernel is pretty decent.

You seem to want to make this much more complicated than it needs to be... :(

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I already installed 21.04 Ubuntu & it runs better than Windows 11 (or maybe its placebo) lol but anyway only issue is the default max res of the internal display is 1366x768 but when I mirror the display over hdmi it forces them both to 1280x720, not 1366x768 like it should run at...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah I already installed 21.04 Ubuntu & it runs better than Windows 11 (or maybe its placebo) lol but anyway only issue is the default max res of the internal display is 1366x768 but when I mirror the display over hdmi it forces them both to 1280x720, not 1366x768 like it should run at...
Are you on a AMD or Nvidia system, because if you have a Nvidia card you have to install the Nvidia driver and all your issues should subside, same goes for AMD driver.

·
Gamer
3,659 Posts
rdr09's recommendation is a good one - copy a few different distros to a USB stick and have a play around to see how they perform. Installed baremetal they'll probably run a little better, but it'll let you know if the desktop environment is too heavy for it.

I'm not a big fan of modern Ubuntu (but then I loathe Gnome Shell) but a lot of the "Ubuntu based" distros are pretty good. I'd suggest Linux Mint MATE (I prefer Cinnamon but it needs more GPU) or an XFCE based distro...
I literally recommended him to do the same in the post above his...lmao

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just wanted to test out the latest first & then go from there since the latest runs fine for me for the most part. Maybe it's a little laggy on Youtube, it can't keep up with the stream sometimes at 720p. Other times it runs it fine. I know it's the 1Ghz processor because everything runs fine on my Ryzen laptop.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I kinda want to install Slax 64 bit to the SSD so it's as fast as possible since this laptop is USB 2.0, it's I/O is slower than the SATA II 3Gbps SSD interface.

Any advice on how to install it to the SSD?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
What res is the external display?

Also, I do remember having issues with a little 768p Acer laptop I had (Intel, though) which would do 1080p on the HDMI out if I disabled the internal screen, but would only do 720p if I left the internal screen running. Used to do it in both Windows and Linux, so may have been a limitation of the hardware.
I literally recommended him to do the same in the post above his...lmao
Sorry, I must have blinked and missed that! :oops:
I just wanted to test out the latest first & then go from there since the latest runs fine for me for the most part. Maybe it's a little laggy on Youtube, it can't keep up with the stream sometimes at 720p. Other times it runs it fine. I know it's the 1Ghz processor because everything runs fine on my Ryzen laptop.
I've found YouTube to be a bit of a system hog. I could play 4K movies without frame drops or audio issues on an ancient laptop I picked up from a refurb shop for giggles (obviously couldn't see 4K on the 768p screen) but 720p YouTube struggled.

Check out CPU and RAM usage in a terminal with top (or htop if it's installed) to see what the likely culprit is.
I kinda want to install Slax 64 bit to the SSD so it's as fast as possible since this laptop is USB 2.0, it's I/O is slower than the SATA II 3Gbps SSD interface.

Any advice on how to install it to the SSD?
IMO, Slax wasn't really designed to be installed to a HDD. If you need it as fast as possible, just copy it all to RAM when you boot it up. With 8GB you aren't going to run out of space, and it'll slow boot time only a little. I just tested it and it slowed boot by about three seconds. However, that is off an internal HDD (but a dog slow low-power 2.5" one which tops out at about 45 MB/s...)

But Slax runs as root by default, which is not something you want to get into the habit of doing.

I don't really like Slax very much, which is odd because I like things like Puppy Linux and Lithium, which is the spiritual successor to one of the best lightweight Linux distros I've ever used, Crunchbang. For those who want to live life on the edge, there is also ArchBang. It's been a long time since I used it, but Bohdi Linux used to do well on low-end hardware.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Paradigm Shifter 1080p was the external resolution of the 24" Freesync Acer & internal is 1366x768. That's interesting you didn't like slax? I thought it was ultra nice have a tiny download rather than a large iso file. I kinda want a distro that has the option to run on RAM as well as off the SSD. Do I press ESC on boot to get the boot menu on any linux distro?

Also I sold that laptop it was too slow for me. I need the possibility to overclock & decode H265 off the CPU if hardware doesn't support it. Do you think an HP 215 G1 with AMD A6-1450 Quad Core boosts to 1.4Ghz & 8GB RAM & 128GB SSD will work with H265 video?

Is there any easy way to find out which AMD APU Has the UVD Level to decode H265 in hardware? Is it only Ryzen that does it? Since I wanna use the 11.6" HP 215 G1 as a media player & I have a lot of H265 video but need to the hardware acceleration or pure CPU grunt to decode it without lag...

Thanks

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
@Paradigm Shifter 1080p was the external resolution of the 24" Freesync Acer & internal is 1366x768. That's interesting you didn't like slax? I thought it was ultra nice have a tiny download rather than a large iso file. I kinda want a distro that has the option to run on RAM as well as off the SSD. Do I press ESC on boot to get the boot menu on any linux distro?

Also I sold that laptop it was too slow for me. I need the possibility to overclock & decode H265 off the CPU if hardware doesn't support it. Do you think an HP 215 G1 with AMD A6-1450 Quad Core boosts to 1.4Ghz & 8GB RAM & 128GB SSD will work with H265 video?

Is there any easy way to find out which AMD APU Has the UVD Level to decode H265 in hardware? Is it only Ryzen that does it? Since I wanna use the 11.6" HP 215 G1 as a media player & I have a lot of H265 video but need to the hardware acceleration or pure CPU grunt to decode it without lag...

Thanks
Sorry for the long delay in reply.

Slax is a distro designed to be run as root, which is fine for a distro you boot from read-only media, but on a writable setup is begging for trouble, if only from an accidental typo...

Way to access the boot menu depends on distro. If it's installed to an internal disk, if GRUB doesn't show up itself, you may need to hold the shift key during boot.

h265 decode in hardware is GPU dependent. Anything newer than a Radeon Fury should do it, but I've not kept up with AMD GPUs because I need to use CUDA for work and so I tend to just stick with nVidia. That said, I've got a little Ryzen 3750 APU which is nice and copes with everything I throw at it, but it's hardly a solution for a tight budget. :(

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
@Paradigm Shifter It sounds interesting to run the OS in RAM though for speed purposes. I may test out Slax but need to make sure it auto installs the AMD Radeon HD 6250 graphics driver on the AMD C-50 APU. Although I am getting a new netbook in today, the AMD A6-1450 Quad Core boost to 1.4Ghz, HP 215 G1. With AMD Radeon HD 8250 graphics. I'll test it out on it as well. I just need enough performance to decode H265, idk if the A6-1450 is powerful enough.

PS - I tested slax & it didn't have any sound, idk why but it worked okay I guess for the time I tested it.

Update Didn't get my HP 215 G1 AMD A6-1450 Quad Core 1.4Ghz in today. FedEx is running super slow. Hopefully it will be able to playback H265 video...

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I don't think an 8250 will do h265 in hardware. It'll be software decoding I suspect.

Running an OS from RAM can be quite fun. The bootable Linux CDs a decade ago used to offer it as a boot option, because reading off optical media is dog slow when doing what is basically random reads. Most now don't offer it, because they assume you'll be running off a USB stick and random reads are usually more bearable.

Good luck with the Federal Express delivery. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts