Overclock.net banner

Going to migrate from Windows 11 to Ubuntu 21.04, Advice?

3476 Views 31 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  enorbet2
Hi I have a Acer Aspire One 722 with 8gb ram ddr3-1600 samsung moduel at ddr3-1066 and a amd c-50 dual core 1ghz processor with a 128gb liteon ssd which benchmarked limited by the netbooks sata ii interface @ 280MB/s read & 180MB/s write.

This netbook doesn't use pwm for the fan so i cant pull the blue wire to go full speed (it needs more fan speed) since it idles at around 70*C & load browsing the web at around 88*C. The fan is so quiet & i know its not at full speed because it goes full speed during a bios update & cools it down a lot more. Unless someone knows how to enter advanced bios menu in the netbook to adjust the fan?

If I install ubuntu, will i need to install the display driver or will it install automatically?

Also can you assist me with how to control the cpu clock (overclock) & how to control the fan speed in Ubuntu? Since it's basically a good looking Linux essentially.

I plan on selling the device ready for word processing & internet browsing. I'd like to tweak it before hand if possible but will be available to the buyer for long term support.

Thanks

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
It appears the A6 1450 is quite powerful it can decode in software h265 1080p no problem in windows on MPC BE x64.
Thanks for the heads up! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Your welcome buddy. Yeah I picked up this HP 215 G1 without a power supply for $39 shipped with the A6-1450 APU. It's not good for games really, but for general tasks & multimedia it's great.

Looks like it uses NV12 to decode H265. It uses the GPU too which I think is unusually nice.
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Slope

10 year OCN Vet
Hello Chris89
SDince you've apparently used Slax but have some problems with a permanent install you might find Liveslak interesting. It has persistence (keeps updates) even in USB Live usage and has a script (usb2hdd.sh) designed to place it properly on any HDD, SDD, NVME whatever.

Look here liveslak - Slackware Live Edition by AlienBOB . There are several versions available including 15.0-RC2 which is actually already more solid that a few earlier Official Final Releases. Alien Bob lists it as 15.0 because he is of the opinion it's been done for months but Patrick Volkerding is a perfectionist. Anyway it's REALLY good.

Registered
@enorbet2 I got bored of using Linux. Typing all these commands in all day gets annoying for me because I hate coding. Maybe some people love it but I prefer Windows, although I do not support the values of its creator.
Use what you want to use. Find the best fit for your use case and go with it!

I find myself using the terminal a lot even in Windows; simply because with a few minor exceptions I can do things faster in a terminal than with a GUI/mouse. :)

Registered
I like both OSes for each of their own things that make them useful. For Windows I like the RGB stuff ( when it works ) and I like the games that you can play on them ( Flight simulator, Racing simulator ) and the ease of use of the OS itself. I like Linux for it's capability to roll your own in your own image. You can edit to your hearts content and nothing is set in stone. I really would love for Linux to support RGB, then I think I would change to Linux only.

10 year OCN Vet
RGB does have some Linux support already. It's written for Corsair keyboards and mice. GitHub - ckb-next/ckb-next: RGB Driver for Linux It works perfectly on my Corsair mechanical keyboard but not on my SteelSeries gaming mouse. There may be more already but the only reason I got ckb-next was to change the lighting to an off-white that doesn't animate.

I don't know if you watch any Linus Tech Tips (not Torvalds) on YouTube but he has something just shy of 18 Million subscribers and he and his partner just launched on a challenge to use nothing but Linux for a month, largely on the influence of Valve's SteamDeck. The loser has to dye his hair in colored quadrants like the old Windows logo... permanently (whatever that means) LOL. Between Valve and all of the subscribers and reactions to LTT Linux is about to catch serious Fire. Already, several game devs have solved an important issue getting anticheat working on Linux games. It's gonna be a helluva year!.

10 year OCN Vet
BTW Chris89 I need to ask, exactly what were you doing and what distro were you using that required typing in commands all day? I've been using Slackware Linux over 20 years and I LOVE CLI but most days I might spend 10 minutes in 24 hours typing commands. There are occasional days that I spend hours in 24 for a particular project, like compiling a custom kernel, but it's pretty rare.

Registered
RGB does have some Linux support already. It's written for Corsair keyboards and mice. GitHub - ckb-next/ckb-next: RGB Driver for Linux It works perfectly on my Corsair mechanical keyboard but not on my SteelSeries gaming mouse. There may be more already but the only reason I got ckb-next was to change the lighting to an off-white that doesn't animate.
I meant RGB for GPUs and motherboards and other peripheral devices. As for keyboards, I use Razer BlackWidow X Chroma and the mouse is Razer Naga Trinity.

10 year OCN Vet
Pretty nice OC, jiffysound. I managed a 5.2GHz on my i5-10600K but I backed it down to 5.1GHz since I'm stuck for awhile on a GTX 1070 Ti that even overclocked shows 99% GPU bound on SOTR Benchmark. I surely hope Intel's entry has some impact on pricing soon. I'm pretty resigned to having to wait at least a year for a solid upgrade GPU :(

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.