Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
artic silver 5 is the best IMO. CPU and GPU tim are the same stuff so your ok. I put AC5 on my 5770 and dropped a couple degree's.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I would never use AS5 unless you have taken GPU heatsinks on and off several times because it's conductive and the minor slip could send you 130 bucks (or whatever) down the hole.

Use some OCZ Freeze or MX-2 those are both non conductive and work pretty well. The Arctic silver Cream works rather well too.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just used some alcohol and q tips to clean off the old TIM. Then i used my finger with sryan wrap to apply a nice thin layer of TIM.

Thought it wasn't conductive, looks to be so though. I just did this to my 9500gt and i did manage to get some of it on the surrounding areas of the gpu.

Stolen form artic website.

Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have bought some mx-3 on Friday because I bought an X6 and a new cooler to tide me over till I get my block rad etc. I jus mean tips such as should I replece ther termal pads with some grease for the mem or should I leave the pads in place?

P.s. Sent from iPod touch so I will correct and grammar and spelling mistakes later.

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
Quote:
should I replece ther termal pads with some grease for the mem or should I leave the pads in place?
Don´t replace with grease.
If you have to remove them, do it gently like removing a sticker without tearing the sticky side.
Good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
AS5 isn't conductive, it's just slightly capacitive. You should still be careful with it though. Overall, it really won't matter what thermal grease you use as long as you nail the application (a very thin layer over the entire GPU chip).

·
Registered
903 Posts
The stock TIM is usually very thin. Apply new paste. I am not really sure about the RAM sinks though. They seem good enough, but feel free to apply new paste anyways.
I use Noctua NT-H1 pro-grade. I applied it onto my 8400GS. It used to be quite warm on the test bed when I ran 3D mark, but now it's quite cool.
The old paste was all cracked up and dry, very thin as I said before.
I'm not sure about other card manufacturers.

ALSO!

Apparently someone used tooth paste as TIM. It didn't last long though.. but it did pretty well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts