Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After assembling my PC I had a 'normal' 4,5GHz overclock @ 1,21V, after a while i wondered how low I could go. When I got to 1,15V in the bios I assumed i was missing something. After 8 hours of P95 Blend testing it appeared stable with no WHEA errors @ 1,15V in the bios, 1,14V according to CPU-Z.

Validation 4,5GHz

After that I wondered what would be needed for stable 4,8GHz, i started 1,25V and had to go up several notches until no WHEA errors would occur. It appears stable when i got to 1,27V in the bios, 1,26V accordig to CPU-Z. Only did 6,5 hours of P95 Blend testing on 4,8GHz.

Validation 4,8GHz

At the 4,8GHz settings, the temps rise to 85+ when i run IBT, which is as high as I would like to go temp wise.
What kind of cooling would be needed for a stable 5,0GHz? I currently have a Scythe Mugen 3 PCGH, would a 'simple' AIO water cooling solution be enough? Or a high end air cooler (Noctua/Phantek/Silver Arrow)?
(I've ran 4,[email protected],3V benchable (3DMark11), but I haven't really tested that yet.)

Batch is Costa Rica # 3237B495.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
you will prolly have to delid to use a high end air cooler for 5.0 those temps are good though currently some cant get to 5.0 at all you have to test and see. I would say if you can be stable at 1.4v @5ghz other than that I personally wouldn't feel safe running over 1.4v and 80c, I use a modest overclock right now of 4.7 because I like to keep my temps low and voltage under 1.35v if I ever need more than 4.7 in the future I already know I can do 4.9ghz under 1.4 but temps are almost 77c. Good luck and even if you can't get 5ghz you have a good chip, unless you have a motherboard that is actually reporting the wrong vcore which is possible with that voltage and temps being as high as they are for that voltage.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
You would definitely need to delid to push higher voltages. If you delid, you could possibly do 5ghz on the cooler you got now, depending on how golden the chip is. Maybe not actually but I mean I'd delid, then look into cooling if that wasn't enough. You might just be able to only do 4.8, 4.9 after all.

You should do a 24 hour prime95 test as well, custom blend max ram, sum input and round error checking, priority 10. Just a few hours of p95 tells you nothing, and you should really do a 24 hour test to establish a baseline. I mean my chip is 'golden' too if we are only going with 8 hours of prime95, I could do [email protected] if you only need 8 hours.

The Zalman LQ320 is on sale at newegg for $39, I believe it slightly outperforms the Nh-D14 and H100, and based on fan specs I'm pretty sure it's better than the H100i (it has 1 slower, quieter fan vs h100i coming with 2 loud fans).

http://www.overclock.net/t/1247869/official-the-ivy-bridge-stable-suicide-club-guides-voltages-temps-bios-templates-inc-spreadsheet/0_100
A good reference for what voltages for what frequencies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I shave without cutting myself it's a victory, so no way I'm going to attempt to delid my CPU.
I'd butcher it 100%
rolleyes.gif

I don't live in the US, otherwise I would have most definately bought that Zalman water cooler! For comparison, the cheapest H100i costs 125$ here.
I know the increase in required voltage was not linear, but I never expected it to be almost asymptotical towards 5GHz.
Considering the cost of the cooling which would be needed, and the relatively minimal gain it would produce (and after checking my bank account). I think I'll just leave it at this (4,5/4,8GHz), and look into doing a custom P95 24hr in the weekend to ensure stability.

Thanks for the info
thumb.gif

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Yea without a delid you really can't overclock ivy far at all
frown.gif

You'll probably land around 4.7, 4.8ghz, which is a great result in my book, especially if you can do it at the voltage you talked about. I don't believe you can, that would really be insane, no one has ever done 4.8 on less than 1.3v...

no idea where your chip will really land. without a 24 hour test it's impossible to know, you might be very far from where your chip really is. hopefully you can do 4.7 though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.