Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight my Denon Receiver decided to start screwing around and setting the volume to max by itself for no reason so I will be throwing that junk out. Now I need to find a good 2.1 amp that can tide me over until I get a job and the money to buy a brand new receiver.

Does anyone know of a good reliable 2.1 amplifier that is preferably under $100?

I am currently using 2 Dayton B652 Bookshelf Speakers and a Dayton SUB-120 Subwoofer.

Thank you,
Matt

Solution: Dayton DTA-100a Amplifier

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Tough budget to work with, your best bet would be craigslist.

·
Premium Member
32,931 Posts
Dayton DTA-100a will work just fine. You'll have to run speaker wire to the sub, then from the sub to the speakers. But it'd work just fine, and be plenty powerful. That's the amp I've got.
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post

Dayton DTA-100a will work just fine. You'll have to run speaker wire to the sub, then from the sub to the speakers. But it'd work just fine, and be plenty powerful. That's the amp I've got.
smile.gif
This! Pioneer recommended this to me a few weeks ago and I just got it last friday and it works great. I have the same speakers you do so I know it can run them very well

·
Premium Member
32,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muels7 View Post

Quote:

smile.gif
This! Pioneer recommended this to me a few weeks ago and I just got it last friday and it works great. I have the same speakers you do so I know it can run them very well
I also have the same speakers.
smile.gif
Not using them on my PC right now (they're my rears in 7.1), but that's because I'm lacking a sub on my PC setup right now.

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
Quote:

I also have the same speakers.
smile.gif
Not using them on my PC right now (they're my rears in 7.1), but that's because I'm lacking a sub on my PC setup right now.
I get yelled at using my sub in my house. I guess my family has a problem with bass? It makes the entire upper level of the house shake plus the room directly below mine and that is with the gain turned fairly low.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Quote:

I get yelled at using my sub in my house. I guess my family has a problem with bass? It makes the entire upper level of the house shake plus the room directly below mine and that is with the gain turned fairly low.
try 8 12s on 24,000watts ( roughly ) in a 2 door celica.. lol car audio is a different world once you get out of the morons running walmart and "10,000"watt amps on stock electrical/alt/batt.

I shake everything, everywhere and that's my daily :/.. still working on doing a house install, totally different way of looking at things for me, used to spl.. now going for SQ

·
Premium Member
32,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by INFAMYBLADE View Post

Quote:

try 8 12s on 24,000watts ( roughly ) in a 2 door celica.. lol car audio is a different world once you get out of the morons running walmart and "10,000"watt amps on stock electrical/alt/batt.

I shake everything, everywhere and that's my daily :/.. still working on doing a house install, totally different way of looking at things for me, used to spl.. now going for SQ
Unless you walled it, there's no way you fit 8x 12's in a Celica. Also, how did you put 24kw in there? There's no way the electrical would take that, even with upgrades. There's not enough room. I would know, I had a Celly, and the best I could do 3x 12's with 9kw RMS to them (plus my speaker amps).

·
Registered
964 Posts
Quote:

Unless you walled it, there's no way you fit 8x 12's in a Celica. Also, how did you put 24kw in there? There's no way the electrical would take that, even with upgrades. There's not enough room. I would know, I had a Celly, and the best I could do 3x 12's with 9kw RMS to them (plus my speaker amps).
there actually is, fi oems, 2.5" coil al, 5 spider packs, all stiff. and yes, my electrical takes it just fine, 14.4 3 230 mechman alts, all shrunken batts.

i'll see if I still have my design on photobucket, otherwise im thelow on caraudio.com, 11k posts 95% in the classifieds and most everyone knows me there. k thx.

·
Premium Member
32,931 Posts
PM it to me.
wink.gif
No reason to dirty up this thread more.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

smile.gif
This sounds good, but I'm a bit confused on some areas.

Why can't I just run the speaker wire directly from the amp to the speakers?

I'm assuming that I would need a 3.5mm to dual RCA cable in order to plug my computer into the amp. Is that correct?

Since the amp appears to have no sub output I am assuming I will also need a 3.5mm to RCA cable in order to plug my computer into the sub. Is that correct?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
11,941 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmoSalt View Post

Quote:

smile.gif
This sounds good, but I'm a bit confused on some areas.

Why can't I just run the speaker wire directly from the amp to the speakers?

I'm assuming that I would need a 3.5mm to dual RCA cable in order to plug my computer into the amp. Is that correct?

Since the amp appears to have no sub output I am assuming I will also need a 3.5mm to RCA cable in order to plug my computer into the sub. Is that correct?

Thank you.
A single 3.5mm to RCA jack is needed, yes (stereo). And no, you run speaker wire from the amp to the sub, and then from the sub to the speakers. This will give your sub a signal through the speaker wires, and the speakers will still get the signal too, but amped. It'll also allow your crossover on the sub to work for the speakers as a high pass, cutting out bass from them.
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

A single 3.5mm to RCA jack is needed, yes (stereo). And no, you run speaker wire from the amp to the sub, and then from the sub to the speakers. This will give your sub a signal through the speaker wires, and the speakers will still get the signal too, but amped. It'll also allow your crossover on the sub to work for the speakers as a high pass, cutting out bass from them.
smile.gif
Awesome! From the looks of it the amp includes the 3.5mm to RCA jack as well. I just ordered one off of Amazon and opted for 2 day shipping because I'm going nuts without my new speakers. It should be here by Friday.

Thanks a lot everyone!

·
Premium Member
32,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmoSalt View Post

Quote:

smile.gif
Awesome! From the looks of it the amp includes the 3.5mm to RCA jack as well. I just ordered one off of Amazon and opted for 2 day shipping because I'm going nuts without my new speakers. It should be here by Friday.

Thanks a lot everyone!
It does come with a 3.5mm to RCA cable, yes. It's very short though, that's why I usually recommend to buy a separate one.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

It does come with a 3.5mm to RCA cable, yes. It's very short though, that's why I usually recommend to buy a separate one.
The cable shown in the picture is female to male and I already have a 3.5mm cable that is long enough so I'll be good. That is unless having another connection in the cabling will have a noticeable impact on sound quality.

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
Quote:

smile.gif
@OP: Don't do the above, that's ******ed. Run your line level source to the sub first, and then run the line level out on the sub to a 2 channel amp, then amplified levels from the amp direct to the speakers.

·
Premium Member
32,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdocod View Post

Quote:

smile.gif
@OP: Don't do the above, that's ******ed. Run your line level source to the sub first, and then run the line level out on the sub to a 2 channel amp, then amplified levels from the amp direct to the speakers.
Doing this will eliminate his desktop volume control, leaving him with only Windows to control the volume. This is why I recommend hooking it up the way I do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts