Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get 13000 gpu score in vantage, and 25000 cpu score...

but when i play crysis warhead, (All on Gamer) no aa, no V-sync.
i get 15-30 fps. 60 is max (when looking at sky) in combat i get 15, and sometimes it goes to 10.

Why can this be ?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Something seems out of place. I have a single 8800GT and can run it at a cross between gamer and enthusiast settings (i have a custom config, and my 8800GT is overclocked) and I am averaging 35-45 fps, sometime 25 during intense fighting.

I think i can help. I have spent a fair amount of time optimising Crysis. Here are some ways to improve your performance:

1.) Because the game lags during the fighting, i am wondering if it is your processor causing the bottleneck? (the video card doesn't seem to be a likely culprit). Find some way to monitor the load on your processor as your play. Vista is known for being a processor hog, and if you have alot of processes running in the background your processor could bottleneck alot. Try turinging down the physics effects in Crysis.

If you need help find ways to monitor the load on your processor while simulateouly playing Crysis, just ask. ^__^

2.) What screen resolution are you running at? Screen resolution KILL's Crysis! Try turning your monitor resolution down a notch (make sure to keep the currect aspect ratio). Personally, I would rather crank down the monitor resolution so i can crank up the AA. Turning the monitors resolution down 1 notch from my native resolution gives me 10-15 FPS more in Crysis!

3.) Custom config files can make a HUGE improvement in Crysis. There are hundreds of custum configs, which one works for you depends on your system and the look you want.. Just google "crysis warhead custom config" and you will get a gazillion results. Here is a link to a few. Custom config can give you another 5-10 FPS.

4.) Make sure you have the latest Nvidia drivers, the latest version of direct X, and all of the updates for Crysis Warhead. Out of date drivers can cost you like 5-10 FPS. Also, defraging your hard drive can help the load times by about 10+ seconds shorter.

5.) I don't know if Crysis Warhead got any better than the orignal Crysis in the area, but...the orignal Crysis had way better performance on a 32 bit operating system then a 64 bit operating system. I think there is a way to run the game in 32 bit mode on a 64 bit OS. I don't know if that would help, but it is worth a try.

Oh, one last thing i remmbered....

The Nvidia controll pannel has this option where you can force better AA or AF filtering on everything. Once, I turned this option on to force AA in Masseffect. Then, I forgot that I forced AA on everything, and spend like 3 hours wondering why Supereme Commnder was running like crap. Make sure nothing is out of place in the Nivida Controll Pannel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsontears809739 View Post
Something seems out of place. I have a single 8800GT and can run it at a cross between gamer and enthusiast settings (i have a custom config, and my 8800GT is overclocked) and I am averaging 35-45 fps, sometime 25 during intense fighting.

I think i can help. I have spent a fair amount of time optimising Crysis. Here are some ways to improve your performance:

1.) Because the game lags during the fighting, i am wondering if it is your processor causing the bottleneck? (the video card doesn't seem to be a likely culprit). Find some way to monitor the load on your processor as your play. Vista is known for being a processor hog, and if you have alot of processes running in the background your processor could bottleneck alot. Try turinging down the physics effects in Crysis.

If you need help find ways to monitor the load on your processor while simulateouly playing Crysis, just ask. ^__^

2.) What screen resolution are you running at? Screen resolution KILL's Crysis! Try turning your monitor resolution down a notch (make sure to keep the currect aspect ratio). Personally, I would rather crank down the monitor resolution so i can crank up the AA. Turning the monitors resolution down 1 notch from my native resolution gives me 10-15 FPS more in Crysis!

3.) Custom config files can make a HUGE improvement in Crysis. There are hundreds of custum configs, which one works for you depends on your system and the look you want.. Just google "crysis warhead custom config" and you will get a gazillion results. Here is a link to a few. Custom config can give you another 5-10 FPS.

4.) Make sure you have the latest Nvidia drivers, the latest version of direct X, and all of the updates for Crysis Warhead. Out of date drivers can cost you like 5-10 FPS. Also, defraging your hard drive can help the load times by about 10+ seconds shorter.

5.) I don't know if Crysis Warhead got any better than the orignal Crysis in the area, but...the orignal Crysis had way better performance on a 32 bit operating system then a 64 bit operating system. I think there is a way to run the game in 32 bit mode on a 64 bit OS. I don't know if that would help, but it is worth a try.

Oh, one last thing i remmbered....

The Nvidia controll pannel has this option where you can force better AA or AF filtering on everything. Once, I turned this option on to force AA in Masseffect. Then, I forgot that I forced AA on everything, and spend like 3 hours wondering why Supereme Commnder was running like crap. Make sure nothing is out of place in the Nivida Controll Pannel.
OMG ! Thanks alot. i will try all of it !.

But its not only crysis. i also only run far cry 2 on 30-40fps (no aa) with high settings.

its wierd.

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Braekon
View Post

I get 13000 gpu score in vantage, and 25000 cpu score...

but when i play crysis warhead, (All on Gamer) no aa, no V-sync.
i get 15-30 fps. 60 is max (when looking at sky) in combat i get 15, and sometimes it goes to 10.

Why can this be ?

Depends on your resolution. I usually run Crysis at 1440x900 or 1680x1050 and get around 40-50fps average with High settings. But with your cards you shouldn't be getting 10-15 fps unless you're at 1920x1200 or something large like that, and at high/very-high settings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordikon
View Post

Depends on your resolution. I usually run Crysis at 1440x900 or 1680x1050 and get around 40-50fps average with High settings. But with your cards you shouldn't be getting 10-15 fps unless you're at 1920x1200 or something large like that, and at high/very-high settings.

Iam running 1440x900

aint there something u can do that will reset all your hardware ??

iam willing to do anything to be able to get what i payed alot of money for,

·
Registered
227 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MOCAMBO
View Post

Sigh........I still dont see this hype about crysis and stuff......what so appealing about it other than its visuals?

I actually quite enjoyed the gameplay.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Braekon View Post
Iam running 1440x900

aint there something u can do that will reset all your hardware ??

iam willing to do anything to be able to get what i payed alot of money for,
You can reset the hardware in the BIOS, but this likely won't help you unless your problem is overclocking related. I.E. related to a frequency or voltage that something is running at. The bios has a "reset all settings to default" in one of the options.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braekon View Post
OMG ! Thanks alot. i will try all of it !.

But its not only crysis. i also only run far cry 2 on 30-40fps (no aa) with high settings.

its wierd.
Yeah, I am running Far Cry 2 on high settings with 2x AA @ 1440x900 and getting 35-35 fps on a single 8800GT. You should be running Far Cry 2 on WAY higher settings than that.

Assuming the hardware isn't faulty, and your drivers are up to date.....

It could be more likely that your operating system is messed up (and therefore using the hardware incorrectly). Troubleshooting a OS is a bit more challenging then optimizing a game.

Maybe your OS has a virus, or is really poorly optimized?

Here are somethings that would make me question if the operating system is causing the problem:

1.) When you hit ctrl+alt+delete how many processes are running in the background? If you have 25-40 process in the background you are okay. If you have like 85 processes running in the background your problem is a poorly optimized OS.

2.) It sounds like your CPU could possibly be a bottleneck (by the way the games are acting). When you don't have any games or programs running in the background, how much of your CPU is being used? If more then 3% of you CPU is being used with no programs running, there is likely a optimization problem or a virus.

3.) How much of your memory/virtual memory is being used with no programs running? Vista uses typically about 700 mb to little over a gig of memory. If like 2 gigs of your page file are bieng used with no programs running, i would assume the problem is in the OS.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsontears809739 View Post
You can reset the hardware in the BIOS, but this likely won't help you unless your problem is overclocking related. I.E. related to a frequency or voltage that something is running at. The bios has a "reset all settings to default" in one of the options.

Yeah, I am running Far Cry 2 on high settings with 2x AA @ 1440x900 and getting 35-35 fps on a single 8800GT. You should be running Far Cry 2 on WAY higher settings than that.

Assuming the hardware isn't faulty, and your drivers are up to date.....

It could be more likely that your operating system is messed up (and therefore using the hardware incorrectly). Troubleshooting a OS is a bit more challenging then optimizing a game.

Maybe your OS has a virus, or is really poorly optimized?

Here are somethings that would make me question if the operating system is causing the problem:

1.) When you hit ctrl+alt+delete how many processes are running in the background? If you have 25-40 process in the background you are okay. If you have like 85 processes running in the background your problem is a poorly optimized OS.

2.) It sounds like your CPU could possibly be a bottleneck (by the way the games are acting). When you don't have any games or programs running in the background, how much of your CPU is being used? If more then 3% of you CPU is being used with no programs running, there is likely a optimization problem or a virus.

3.) How much of your memory/virtual memory is being used with no programs running? Vista uses typically about 700 mb to little over a gig of memory. If like 2 gigs of your page file are bieng used with no programs running, i would assume the problem is in the OS.

1.) i have 50 Processes running in the background

2.) When i have Google chrome open and typing this, i use 0-1% of my Processor (i see it on the logitech g15 display screeN)

3.) 31% of my ram is being used when i have no apps open.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Nothing seems to be wasting system resources in the operating system.

Just out of curiousity, what version of Nvidia Nforce and GForce drivers are you using? A driver related problem would be the next thing i would suspect.

You could try dual booting 32 bit XP along with your 64 bit vista? It's just a idea you could try if you wanted. That would be ALOT of work to set up, but would give you better performance with your games.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts