Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone suggest a good board for OC'ing my core i5 760? I hope for something in the $100 range, and I only need 1 x16 pcie slot. I do not need onboard video.... rather not even have it on there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would recommend anything from the gigabyte p55A series, the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 on upwards really. I was tied for weeks between gigabyte and asus boards but ultimately it comes down to what you prefer and require. The VIA sound chips on the asus p55's are relatively bad in comparison to the gigabytes, although many claim you won't notice a difference unless you have higher quality speakers.

As far as overclocking goes, both use different bios menus which is simply subjective to what you prefer. I prefer gigabytes layout which also offers some great features. Some prefer the asus bios which from what I have read can be a slower process but no overclock should be rushed through anyway.

No ONE person can offer you perfect advice though, would be good to hear what others recommend. Personally I would suggest between gigabyte and asus options and maybe have a look at this article...

http://www.techspot.com/review/214-i...board-roundup/

·
Registered
840 Posts
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 - it's an incredible OC'ing board (GA-P55-USB3 is also a cheaper alternative if you're really not willing to spend a little more). I've had mine at 3.8 for months now as I've always liked that number being the sweet spot, and it can easily reach 4.0+ on air cooling.

Here's my settings on it: http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/506/dsc01605ie.jpg (pretty much the same for all of gigabyte's boards).

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can second that, UD3, with a 760 can sit 4ghz stable with h50 in my case but even with cheap after market cooler you'll get it way above the stock clock

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've had a Giga p55a-ud3.It lasted about 2 mnts till it died
.Claimed the warranty at the store and upgraded to my current Asus p7p55d Evo.
From my prespective,the asus altough has a heavier price tag,its superior almost in every way.The connectors designed with much more practical approach.With the UD3 board you will never be able to get a decent crossfire(it doesn't have SLI,and the cheap bastards not include even a bridge in the box
) setup cause if u fit a 20 cm card on PCIE slot 2 it will render all the SATA connectors hidden below.And it has much lesser space to install a larger cooler,because it will render dimm slot 1 unusable(and it cant boot from slot 2-4).And i liked the VIA chip rather then the REALTEK,which tending to cause a lot of problems.Also the asus has indicator lights near each component(cpu,mem,vga) and it lights them when a component is faulty,so turbleshooting is much easier.It has turbo button,and memOK feature.It has overvoltage switch if you wanna really tinker with it.And a clear cmos button,so dont need screwdriver to shortcircuit the cmos,and also reset button and powerbutton on board.The Asus bios also have an automatic OC feature(wich working great) if you are lazy,and far more options.It has the express gate,wich is a pretty nice feature if u ask me.And the software package and programs usable with it are by FAR better, usable and practical.
The minus: it doesn't have USB 3 or SATA 6.If i'll need them so badly i think i will buy an adapter for 5 $.
Edit: Its just my opinion,i've had both GB and ASUS components,Asus even they are pricier a bit, never gave me any headache,while for the last 2 mnts i can count a dead GB MB,and a 480gtx wich is right now under warranty claim evaluation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deelix View Post
I've had a Giga p55a-ud3.It lasted about 2 mnts till it died
.Claimed the warranty at the store and upgraded to my current Asus p7p55d Evo.
From my prespective,the asus altough has a heavier price tag,its superior almost in every way.The connectors designed with much more practical approach.With the UD3 board you will never be able to get a decent crossfire(it doesn't have SLI,and the cheap bastards not include even a bridge in the box
) setup cause if u fit a 20 cm card on PCIE slot 2 it will render all the SATA connectors hidden below.And it has much lesser space to install a larger cooler,because it will render dimm slot 1 unusable(and it cant boot from slot 2-4).And i liked the VIA chip rather then the REALTEK,which tending to cause a lot of problems.Also the asus has indicator lights near each component(cpu,mem,vga) and it lights them when a component is faulty,so turbleshooting is much easier.It has turbo button,and memOK feature.It has overvoltage switch if you wanna really tinker with it.And a clear cmos button,so dont need screwdriver to shortcircuit the cmos,and also reset button and powerbutton on board.The Asus bios also have an automatic OC feature(wich working great) if you are lazy,and far more options.It has the express gate,wich is a pretty nice feature if u ask me.And the software package and programs usable with it are by FAR better, usable and practical.
The minus: it doesn't have USB 3 or SATA 6.If i'll need them so badly i think i will buy an adapter for 5 $.
Edit: Its just my opinion,i've had both GB and ASUS components,Asus even they are pricier a bit, never gave me any headache,while for the last 2 mnts i can count a dead GB MB,and a 480gtx wich is right now under warranty claim evaluation.
I guess I'll try the asus, I've had two asus board go out on me though. It was over 2 years, so I guess that is normal? But I've had my MSI board for about 3 years now and it still runs great. I don't know I haven't seen the prices and features yet I may end up going with the gigabyte, I'll keep you posted. Thank you for all of your help!

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darco19 View Post
*snip*
Haha, I'm actually looking @ your cpu/ram/board in my newegg cart right now. The 5870's in another page via Fry's crazy specials over the weekend.

The only thing stopping me's the i7 deal. It'd only be another $65 to go 930/ud3r/6gb. What to do...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deelix View Post
The connectors designed with much more practical approach.
So true. The UD6 much closer to an ideal board IMO. Here's a pic...

On the USB3/UD3/UD4 my Forte would have to go right next to the GPU. The UD6 would allow me to put it on the bottom via that last pcie slot. Better cooling, right angle SATA cables, just a better overall board. $ier tho, of course.

·
Registered
31 Posts
just stay away from the h55/p55 usb3 and you'll be kicking goals. me personally? evga p55 ftw. marvellous. though in hindsight, my asus p7h55-v reached the same speeds of 4.2ghz on air equally as stable.. poor thing collecting dust in the spare room since i upgraded to evga.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I went w/ the P7P55D-E Pro. Excellent slot layout. I would have room for a sound card up top, 2 GPU's, and a full slot under each for airflow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by beletz View Post
just stay away from the h55/p55 usb3 and you'll be kicking goals. me personally? evga p55 ftw. marvellous. though in hindsight, my asus p7h55-v reached the same speeds of 4.2ghz on air equally as stable.. poor thing collecting dust in the spare room since i upgraded to evga.
I'm thinking of going with this board -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130240

It's the MSI P55-CD53, it's because I've had bad experiences with asus boards dying in a year, and things not working right on them right out of the box and being DOA.

Also, I hear bad things about the gigibyte and their placement of the different slots on the board interfering with each other.

·
Premium Member
6,774 Posts
1.) EVGA (lifetime warranty, great overclocking, fast friendly RMA)
2.) Giga
3.) Asus

My personal opinion when buying motherboards...

Have a MSI 965P Neo, was nothing but a headache for overclocking. But is has been running for a few years with no issues...

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 10acjed View Post
2.) Giga
3.) Asus

Have a MSI 965P Neo, was nothing but a headache for overclocking. But is has been running for a few years with no issues...

Just my 2 cents...
Yea I have an msi board and overclocked my core2duo e6750 to 3GHZ. Was about the first board I ever oc'd anything on though. So it seems there are better boards to OC, but these are solid boards. I was looking at the evga boards but I wasn't sure because I had not heard anything about them.

They really have a lifetime warranty!?!!

I'll be glad to put an evga in my box, but one thing, if I get the micro atx form factor, isn't that cramming the peripherals together so that I might have trouble putting a larger heatsink on, or a large graphics card to cover up the sata ports.

Edit: Oh, and take asus off your list, they are dead in a year, and sometimes things don't work the way they should on the board.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Quote:

2.) Giga
3.) Asus

Just my 2 cents...
If a product has excellent quality to begin with, then you would not even need lifetime warranty.

Let's put things into perspective.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by zollen View Post
If a product has excellent quality to begin with, then you would not even need lifetime warranty.

Let's put things into perspective.

ASUS REEALLYY?
I've had such bad experiences with their boards!

I'm willing to try evga after seeing that, as they seem to be third down on the list of best quality.

·
Premium Member
6,774 Posts
Factor in user error and lifetime warranty goes a long way for me... Both times I had to use evga RMA was because of me, not a faulty product... So long as your not doing physical damage of coarse..

Do you need a micro atx board? That makes a difference.. Also is there a $ cap on what you can spend...
Asus boards are great and are a little cheaper than the evga line..

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Dont let one bad exp online deter you from ASUS/GB/EVGA etc. Anything can fail. Are you going over the $100 range and into the $175-200 range that most people are suggesting?

You should be fine with the GB ud3 suggestion.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Quote:

All the EVGA boards I had been looking at had 2 yrs.

Asus or Gigabyte for me. Sure do miss Abit though.
The other guys STILL haven't figured out how to do proper fan controlling.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Im thinking of going with a EVGA. My MSI GD 65 Burned up with 1.56v. I do heavy OCing 4.6ghz was it seemed to' be' limit with my MSI.

This thread is good one thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts