Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not too sure where to post this, but I have 8 Fans in my case including the CPU, GPU and PSU.

Well the noise tends to bother me just a tad even under my desk. I was wondering if somebody knew a Good, Effective way to block out sound.

I am guessing that I need some material to stick to the side of my case panel, but I am unsure what. Ideas?

·
Registered
939 Posts
The 300's use pretty thin steel. I have the 200 which is the same chassis. This is what I did. I cut away the mesh on for the front fans. Mine is plastic is yours? I also used some quieter fans. I used Slipstreams on the front, Antec 120 at med speed on the side. Set my top fan at med speed.

I have Gelids on th front here but they didn't move quite enough air. But you can see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkev View Post
The 300's use pretty thin steel. I have the 200 which is the same chassis. This is what I did. I cut away the mesh on for the front fans. Mine is plastic is yours? I also used some quieter fans. I used Slipstreams on the front, Antec 120 at med speed on the side. Set my top fan at med speed.

I have Gelids on th front here but they didn't move quite enough air. But you can see what I'm talking about.
Well In the front mine have removable little cages for the fans, and then their is a dust filter in front of that and then there is the case itself.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anybody know of stores where I could buy foam similar to what was posted above for much cheaper?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1keith1 View Post
Does anybody know of stores where I could buy foam similar to what was posted above for much cheaper?
Ask your office or school if they have any old foam mousemats. That material is just as good and much cheaper >.<

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by windfire View Post
Here has a wide selection:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ath=60_485_486

Read this article for further info.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article71-page1.html
That really helped a lot thanks!

I was looking at getting this. It is cheap, looks thick, and has enough to cover my whole side panel and then some.

I am looking for reviews but can't find any, do you think this would be good or is it a cheap knock-off?

EDIT: It in CM not Inches as I first thought, this will not cover what I need.

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1keith1 View Post
That really helped a lot thanks!

I was looking at getting this. It is cheap, looks thick, and has enough to cover my whole side panel and then some.

I am looking for reviews but can't find any, do you think this would be good or is it a cheap knock-off?
I have not used Akust NoiseBuster Pro "Extreme" before and I cannot comment by experience. But having read the article by SilentPC and then looked at the thickness and structural cross section of Akust NoiseBuster Pro "Extreme", it appears that it is a comparable product to AcoustiPack Standard. (This review was done back in 2003. If you go to Acoustic website, the current AcousticPack Standard is now only 7mm thick, vs 12.7mm back then.) So, I do not think it is a cheapo. You should can read through the article yourself and see if you are satisfied with the performance of AcoustiPack. If you are happy, then I think it is worthwhile to try Akust.

If you have not yet tried these, I suggest:
First, clean out all dust in all heatsinks (cpu, graphic card).
This should help heat dissipation and therefore the all fans can run at a lower speed (automatically or manually) and therefore wind noise is reduced.
And, putting a pc under a desk is usually not a good option (unless you have no other space to put it). First, a pc sitting on floor usually sucks in dust much more quickly than when it is raised above floor (eg on desktop). Secondly, ventilation under a desk is usually limited. Hot exhaust air will get trapped more easily/accumulated more quickly, even raising the ambient air temperature and thus increasing the fan speed (+ noise).
So, perhaps you can experiment by moving your pc to other locations with better ventilation?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gah looks like its in cm, not Inches. Okay 17x34cm will not cut, I will have to go with something else.

Moving my case is not an option it is in a sort of cabinent, my desk was built around my case basically and thats where it stays.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You said that the case buzzes?

If its making a buzzing sound you might have a loose fan that vibrating. Check all the screws that hold things in place.

Some cases only use those push pins to hold the fan in place which never get really tight to keep that buzz away. You can also try those neoprene gaskets that go between the fan and case to act as a vibration damper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts