Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.

I was thinking about purchasing a new monitor for my rig. I'm still using the Samsung 226BW. It's the S-panel so it's all good.

Lately there have been 120hz monitors appearing on the marked and I'm wondering if they are great for gaming. I'm one of those who is very sensitive to refresh rates (yes, even on LCD monitors) when gaming.

If they're not that great, I can manage with a normal LCD panel, forcing it to 75hz as I do now.

Surely there must be better LCD's out there now for gaming?

·
Premium Member
10,900 Posts
I'm sure there are better monitors out there fro gaming, but 120hz is really only for the 3D stuff I'm pretty sure... So unless you need that, I'd stick to what you have, or move onto a larger 16:9 2ms monitor...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks for clearing that up with the 120hz monitors. But as i said, my eyes is very sensitive to refresh rates and shouldn't these monitors help with that? what I mean when I say I'm sensitive to refresh rates is the side to side panning on low refresh rates. The pictures movement seems very jerky to me and unplayable even. Forcing my current LCD to 75hz helps tremendously with this issue.

Until about 2 years ago I was used to play on a 17" CRT flatscreen pushing 100hz in 1024x768 which was the native resolution and the transition to LCD's was hard. Only thing that made it bearable was the ability to force my current one to 75hz. You can read more here about it if you want.

So, any more recommendations on good gaming LCD's of 2010.. 120hz or not?

·
Registered
843 Posts
I may be wrong but due to my recent researches. Not all 120hz monitors support 3D. My eyes are also sensitive to low refresh rate's and i can't even look into the monitor because my brains hurt. Mum doesn't understand me she thinks i'm trying to live luxury but that's not even a part of the real case. I was actually there in electroline seeing the monitor Samsung XL2370. It's 2ms and 120hz. 1080p etc. But in samsung's website all the 3d monitors are labeled as such but not this. So this leads me to the conclusion that it has to have a different thing for 3d.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by PlUgOuT
View Post

I may be wrong but due to my recent researches. Not all 120hz monitors support 3D. My eyes are also sensitive to low refresh rate's and i can't even look into the monitor because my brains hurt. Mum doesn't understand me she thinks i'm trying to live luxury but that's not even a part of the real case. I was actually there in electroline seeing the monitor Samsung XL2370. It's 2ms and 120hz. 1080p etc. But in samsung's website all the 3d monitors are labeled as such but not this. So this leads me to the conclusion that it has to have a different thing for 3d.

The review says it's only 60hz.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking about this monitor. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Babel View Post
I was thinking about this monitor. Any thoughts?
Can't believe I'm quoting myself here but, anyone have experience with this monitor?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So no one have ever seen this monitor in action at all? I find that hard to believe.

·
Registered
151 Posts
From what Ive read so far on the 120hz monitors, they are actually 2 monitors ontop of one another each running at 60hz at different polarities, this is to give you the 3d effect when using the glasses (or a blurr if not!). when not in 3d mode, only one of the monitors is in use at 60hz.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
If you play FPS games then please don't take 120Hz lightly. If you can get up to 120fps in the games you play, then I would have to recommend a 120Hz monitor. If you pay WoW, or any other mmoRPG then please save up for an IPS panel..and notice how colors are better than a TN panel. If you want to save some money, but wouldn't mind coughing up a decent amount.. go for a TN LED panel... great response times + great picture.

I myself would recommend the ACER 120HZ 23.5" 1920x1080 @ 120Hz LCD for $400.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PlUgOuT
View Post

so does that mean xl2370 is 120 hz and supports 3d?

It is 60hz and not 120. I had it and it's a really nice monitor.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ra1nman View Post
From what Ive read so far on the 120hz monitors, they are actually 2 monitors ontop of one another each running at 60hz at different polarities, this is to give you the 3d effect when using the glasses (or a blurr if not!). when not in 3d mode, only one of the monitors is in use at 60hz.
Where'd you read this, because I was under the impression that the 3D effect was achieved with alternate frame sequencing.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I got 120 hz. NICE Like Bf2 going from 2/1 kdr to 4/1 . 120hz no [email protected] With old hanns-g But mite sell this. Not sure. Going to sell 24in i got @ my moms. If you Cant tell 60hz to 75-72 hz on a crt Then no point for 120hz. But if you can tell. Then 120hz+ is way to go. Dirt 2 and all flying games SO much smoother No v-sync But Smaller screen, Mite go to touch screen too. on large screen.

·
Why is it smoking?
4,024 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrimstar View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001377
It's a newer model, a reviewer claims it has 120Hz refresh. I think I'm gonna get this model in my next build too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximus20895 View Post
It is 60hz and not 120. I had it and it's a really nice monitor.
I almost bought that one myself, but newegg happened to put this Asus on sale the day I placed my order, and I couldn't pass it up.

·
Why is it smoking?
4,024 Posts
I don't have a lot to compare it to really. I've seen store models and such, but the only other LCD's I have used at length were some really old 17" models at a job I had a couple of years back, the screen in my wife's lappy, and the Acer 21" I had before this. With that said, this Asus is by far the best I've ever used. It is noticeably brighter than the Acer, and the colors are more vibrant without being over saturated. Banding, while still visible, is less noticeable than it was on any of the others as well.

Right now the Asus has an instant $10 price advantage, and a $20 MIR. However, the Samsung has free shipping, which almost negates the MIR with the Asus. The only obvious difference is that the Asus has an HDMI port, but that may not matter to you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts