Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would be a good heatsink for a P4 2.8ghz ("E" prescott) on a asus p4p800se mobo? im not looking to spend alot of money so something better than the stock piece of crap.

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
Thermalright XP-90 / XP-120 are top notch. But, if your not afraid of a cracked mobo, go with the TT T112

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
i reccommend the zalman 7000 copper, or if ur really ballsy go with the 7700

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
thermaltake tower 112 shares the lead with teh XP-120, don't pay attention to what these people tell you about cracked mobos or anything, it's a good investment.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I invested in a Thermaltake Tower and havent recieved it yet, but I noticed something just now. ATV, you have the tower in your comp, so this question is primarly for you. Can you turn the tower whichever way you want it on the cpu. I noticed yours was vertically fan placed, up and down with one fan on the bottom. I want my fans to have a push pull config so the hot air is going out the rear, is this possible? If not I dont know what im going to do with the thing if its going to blow hot air down onto my graphics card.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OzziKing

I invested in a Thermaltake Tower and havent recieved it yet, but I noticed something just now. ATV, you have the tower in your comp, so this question is primarly for you. Can you turn the tower whichever way you want it on the cpu. I noticed yours was vertically fan placed, up and down with one fan on the bottom. I want my fans to have a push pull config so the hot air is going out the rear, is this possible? If not I dont know what im going to do with the thing if its going to blow hot air down onto my graphics card.

Ozzi....i have the thermaltake silent tower(same design as 112) the position depends on the way the socket is setup on your mb...some are horizontal some are vertical...

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OzziKing

well ozzi, mine faces that way because it's supposed to. the only reason i have 1 fan on it is because i don't have the space to fit 2 tornadoes... if you look, there's a quite large metal bar that runs the length of the case. i also do not have a fan controller for them. if i had space/controller, i'd have 2 tornadoes in there. i have both of them, too.

well, RE your second question, I can't exactly answer that. i don't believe you will be able to mount it w/ the fans left and right. i don't think so. check how your heatsink's mounted now. if the long side of the rectangle created by the bolts are top and bottom, you're gonna have to mount it up/down. if they're sideways, you can do it sideways.

if you're doing push/pull, you won't be blowing hot air onto your graffics card, you'll be pushing it towards the top of the case. hopefully, you'll take the liberty of installing a blowhole w/ a fan on it to exhaust that hot blown air out the top of your case.

let me know if you have any more questions.

ATVkid

·
Registered
787 Posts
Well, I had though that I posted a reply last night but I guess I was wrong, I guess I was drunk from all that Mountain Dew.
Anyway, away from the humor to what I was thinking. If I set that thing up which way should I push the air towards, the top of the case where the PSU air intake is ( I would be half blowing hot air into the PSU intake) or down towards my x800. I have two side intake fans, one is blowing onto my x800s fan, and the other would be blowing right ontop of the tower once I get it.... Hell 3 fans cooling the tower, w00ts. I also have 2 fans in the back of my case (pretty close to where the tower would be) and another in the top of my case an 1in from my PSU. Those three fans came with the case and dont move very much air but they move air so heck I put them in there. I also have a question about one thing, I have seen alot of pictures with guys that have miniheatsinks cooling their chip in their motherboard, should I get one of these, or do you think my asus heatsink will keep it cool enough with the combo of my 80mm side fan blowing onto it 5 in away. I am hopefully planing to get my 3.0 to about a 3.6.

Thanks,
Ozzi

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
onto your first question. you need it blowing up, since hot air rises, the air'd eventually rise, you're just aggravating it by blowing it down. your PSU will handle the semi-heated air by compensating by having the fan blow harder.

next, your heatsink on your northbride (i'm assuming, since you were talking about heatsink on mobo), it depends on whether it's passive or active. what i mean is if it's passive, it has no fan on it. if it's active, it has a fan blowing on the northbride's heatsink. if you have an active heatsink, you won't need a new one. i might suggest, however, to get some AS5 under the chip, though.

let me know if it works,

ATVkid

1 - 10 of 10 Posts