Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I'm a total noob to this case modding scene but I am getting annoyed at my cable management and I need to do something about it. It literally took me almost two hours just to replace my stock fans with some orange Xigmateks earlier.

So I'm wondering if it's possible to work with my current PSU without buying a modular one and doing something like...

Turning it upside down so I can drill a hole right next to where the wires come out on my inside panel so the wires can go through there? There are two things that worry me about this.

1) I have about ~1.5 cm of room on my right side panel so if I stick all my cables behind my motherboard I don't think I can put my panel back on....

and

2) the fan that is normally on the top of the PSU will be at the bottom, which will require me to make another hole, but on top of that it doesn't seem very efficient since I have my case on the carpet and the entire PSU fan will basically be blocked/clogged

So should I just spend some money to get a modular PSU or try to get this one to work? Also, as you can see from the pictures, the lengths of some of the PSU cables are a bit short for my mobo so I had to get rid of some of my corner zip ties and let the cables come free

The area behind the hard drives is a complete mess lol I stuffed as many cables as possible beneath the hard drives

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Alright, what you want to do its cut a hole next to the PSU so you can get all your cables between the case and the right side panel. Then cut some more holes near the top of the mobo tray so you can route your cables from behind and have them pop out where you need them.

Btw, I support the idea of modding the case to make the PSU work instead of blowing money for a new one

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Non-modular PSU + Antec 900 = bad news for cable management.

People have done really nice jobs with the 900's, reversing hard drives and drilling holes and such, but it will be very difficult to make it very clean with a non-modular PSU.

If you want to do some good cable management, then commit to it. Get you a nice PSU for it, get extensions, drill holes, go crazy.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Its really fun if you're dedicated, especially when you see the results after you're done.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Not necessarily for the U-Channel/grommets. What I did was I covered the holes with electrical tape which I found I like much better IMHO, and free most of all.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by defoLinY View Post
If I drill holes, do I have to get some rubber tubing to cover the edges or can I just sand it so there are no sharp edges? Also I plan on doing what CyberDruid did with his YouTube- Antec 1200/900 HDD Flip Mod Completed
What I did was take an old power cord and cut it, then splice it down the middle and take out the actual cabling, leaving only the actual rubber sleeving. Then take that and use to cover the edges of the freshly cut hole. You can see a pic at http://www.overclock.net/case-mods-g...ml#post5362276.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkey92 View Post
Yeah that's the mod I did on my 1200.

Contrary to what cs says, I think u-channel is much more professional looking that the electrical tape, it's pretty cheap too (not free though
). I wouldn't leave the edges bare though, whatever you do.
Well that was just my lazy way to do it, just as effective, not as sexy though obviously haha

I don't use grommets/U-Channel because all the holes I made are hidden and out of sight (under mobo). Looks like cables are coming out of nowhere in my case.

EDIT: Never mind I was thinking of my CM690.

·
Registered
252 Posts
the 750i ftw wasnt made for the 900 because the dam SATA slots are laying down instead of pointing up and my 295 takes up a fair amount of space, and my PSU has so many dam extra power cords I just used the hole thats besides the hdd mountings and weaved the wires thru it. Like on warlords pics.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Nice post Freak, I'm curious why so many people flip the psu though? Doesn't that really limit the airflow from it?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark $
View Post

Nice post Freak, I'm curious why so many people flip the psu though? Doesn't that really limit the airflow from it?

Most that do the flip, cut a hole so the PSU can breathe.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cs_maan
View Post

Most that do the flip, cut a hole so the PSU can breathe.

Do they then put larger feet on the case, or perhaps raise the psu off the floor an inch or so?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark $
View Post

Do they then put larger feet on the case, or perhaps raise the psu off the floor an inch or so?

Usually if the case rests on the carpet or something you want to raise it off the floor, otherwise if its on your desk you just get some bigger case feet and call it a day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts