Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was looking to install a linux distro on my old laptop. Its an armada P3 1Ghz, 512 mb ram, 20gb drive etc etc.

I wanted to know, in your opinion, what is the best distro out there at the moment. I was looking for something that has a decent amount of s/w and h/w support.

I was doing some research, and came across Suse 10 and Linux Desktop 9, both by novel, but the apps running on both seemed pretty limited.

I have used both Redhat and Knoppix a long while ago and found both to run pretty well but never really had a chance to dive deep into it. Your reccomendations/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by X3Nh4nC3D

I reccommend checking out this great site: http://www.linuxiso.org

I personally like SuSE and Ubuntu, both are very nice, and have pretty good hardware support.

linuxiso.org is a lil outdated as far as distros go, try www.distrowatch.com, they keep tabs on the latest and greatest of distros. personally, for that pc, I'd go for something like ubuntu...or mandriva.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
yeah - mandriva's pretty good for beginners

I like it - stable, easy to install - i find it doesnt have enough WiFi support. Thats not a problem for tower though

1 - 4 of 4 Posts