Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I picked up a GTX 470 a few days ago and it runs great in most games but bottlenecks in certain games and I'm guessing it's because of my CPU. Where is a good place to buy a new CPU and what kind should I get?

Thanks in advance, guys

·
Registered
391 Posts
Well if you just want to upgrade your cpu get a Q9650($329) or a Q9550($278, better choice in my opinion) both on www.newegg.com.

you can also try www.tigerdirect.com, my second choice for buying pc parts.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Your Q6600 should be fine. OC a bit more to 3.6GHz at least and you'll be better than fine.

If you must upgrade, there is no sense in upgrading a dead socket. You're going to be spending around $300 on the CPU if you go LGA 775, anyways. Just go i7.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I don't see it bottle necking you. But hey I could be wrong. I to have a q6600 it also runs at 3ghz. Just oc it some more so you can save that money for when you wanna do a full system upgrade.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Upgrading from a dual core on Socket 775 forces you to go AMD. The Q9550 would be an excellent path, but they're extremely overpriced and hard to find. After being in this same situation, here's what I did: I bought an AMD PHII 955 and a motherboard for $200. After selling my Intel dual core and Intel motherboard, I got $160 back, so the entire upgrade cost me $40. As you probably know, the 955 and the Q9550 are equal in performance. Keep in mind that all of this changes if you can find a cheap Q9550, but good luck on that

1 - 7 of 7 Posts