Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of information can be found on the web when one searches "Buying a Home Theater System" or something in regards to that. I've been researching for a few days now and have found some good sources, but there are always those AMAZING gold nuggets of knowledge that don't get on the first page of google search.

So, OCN hifi group, what are your amazing resources of knowledge in regards to purchasing a HT system that you've pinned because you've learned so much from them?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
AudioGon, If you're looking for really high end stuff or just some good info.
Reviews, Forums and Buy/Sell.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

AudioGon, If you're looking for really high end stuff or just some good info.
Reviews, Forums and Buy/Sell.
Depending on my wife's reluctance, my budget varies. Just purchased a new home and it has a nice, finished basement that is screaming for a HT make-over. I will probably end up spending a maximum of $3,500 dollars on the whole shebang, which I know isn't a lot. Looking to get a A/V receiver that meets my needs and a nicer 5.1 speaker system like the Dynaudio D2/6 and that's kind of it.

Thanks for the resource!

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
If it was me I'd start out with the best 2.1 system I could afford, more bang-for-the-buck sound quality wise, and add the rest later. But then, I'm more into music.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkchopExpress View Post

pro audio speakers for home theater. their effortless volume and midbass. another benefit is less amplifier power needed.
I'm sorry I didn't quite understand that.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Studio monitor speakers are mostly used in professional music production for playback of tracks and mixes during the mix down of studio recordings. As such they tend to be uncolored (ie. they don't add anything to the sound) so that the recording engineer isn't making compensation for the particular "sound" of the speakers. They tend to be designed for "near field" listening where they are relatively close you your ears so that room acoustics have less affect on the sound. Some people swear by them for home listening. Considering that most higher end home speakers are "voiced" to work with room acoustics, the utility of monitors is debatable.

OK...bring on the hate!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
That's a pretty decent budget. Since you live in the twin cities i'd suggest going to some local audio stores and listening to as many speakers as you can. Within your budget of course..
tongue.gif
Whats the size of the living space?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyFox View Post

That's a pretty decent budget. Since you live in the twin cities i'd suggest going to some local audio stores and listening to as many speakers as you can. Within your budget of course..
tongue.gif
Whats the size of the living space?
When you're auditionong speakers, also listen to some that are half your budget and twice your budget. That way you will get an better idea of the differences between speakers and you'll be able to choose those within your budget in a more informed manner. Of course, that opens up the possibility of blowing your budget wide open!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for taking so long to respond! Holidays and a new job happened for me, so I've been busy.

I haven't moved into the home yet, but on the listing for the house, the room size is "15x15" so I would assume it's 225 sq ft. It's all carpeted as well. The upstairs is entirely wood, so when you go downstairs the lack of reverberation is contrastingly apparent. It seems just so quiet!

Thanks for the advice, Bill. I will definitely audition higher quality parts just to see if I can hear a difference/if it's worth it for me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i won't wade into main speaker/surround recommendations, but here are some miscellaneous suggestions based on my own experience:
  • get a receiver with audessey multeq. it really works well, especially if you mix and match speakers.
  • throw some acoustic panels on the walls. acoustimac sells nice panels for not much more than cost of materials if you tried to DIY.
  • subwoofer placement REALLY matters. try it in different places.
  • dayton audio powered subs like the sub-1200 are amazing performers for the money. no reason to spend more than that unless you're going truly insane high end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts