Premium Member
20,339 Posts
Galactic Civilizations II

Age of Wonders Shadow Magic

both excellent (My friends and I run shadow magic weekly

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,930 Posts
Civilization III is really good, and Civilization 4 just came out.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by klewiss

Civilization III is really good, and Civilization 4 just came out.

Civilization 4 has been out for months. Fantastic game, highly recommended. If you prefer a sci-fi setting, Galactic Civilization 2 just came out and is getting great reviews, but I have not played it yet myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chosen

Whole fallout series

Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout: Tactics

But Fallout and Fallout 2 are RPGs, and he specifically said he is tired of RPGs at the moment.

The original C&C games were fun as heck back in the day. I only mention it because they just released a "C&C: The First Decade" collection that has everything from the original C&C all the way up to Generals in one package, with everything updated to work in WinXP. Might be worth a look, that's a lot of RTS for the price of one game.

Starcraft is still the best RTS ever made, IMHO. I assume you have already played it. If not, forget everything anyone has said so far and go get a copy of Starcraft.

·
Premium Member
20,339 Posts
Age of Wonders Shadow Magic! I bet almost no one on this forum has every even tried it. Its the third in the series and you can pick it up for under $20. I've been playing the series for years and its the best strategy game on the market with a huge mod community (Age of Wonders Heaven). The multiplayer is smooth and seamless for up to 8 players, the ai is pretty decent, the makers (triumph studios) have continued to release updates and patches. Its as good as it gets in turn based strategy. google some reviews.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by VulcanDragon

Civilization 4 has been out for months. Fantastic game, highly recommended. If you prefer a sci-fi setting, Galactic Civilization 2 just came out and is getting great reviews, but I have not played it yet myself.

But Fallout and Fallout 2 are RPGs, and he specifically said he is tired of RPGs at the moment.

The original C&C games were fun as heck back in the day. I only mention it because they just released a "C&C: The First Decade" collection that has everything from the original C&C all the way up to Generals in one package, with everything updated to work in WinXP. Might be worth a look, that's a lot of RTS for the price of one game.

Starcraft is still the best RTS ever made, IMHO. I assume you have already played it. If not, forget everything anyone has said so far and go get a copy of Starcraft.

Yahoo tis a weekend, I'll try some demos then of most of the suggestions.
Would like to try B&W 2 but doesn't seem to be a demo released.

Played C&C to death
Finished Fallout 1 & 2
Was pretty hardcore with online Starcraft (my first experience with online play...awesome).
Played Rome Total War demo, prefer the more traditional RTS format (although I did play ShogunTotal War to death).

·
Registered
447 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mauguai

Can anyone recommend a really good strategy game? I'm tired of FPS's and RPG's lately.

Really looking forward to this beauty

http://pc.ign.com/articles/652/652972p1.html

Wow, I need to get that game. Thanks for bringing that my attention. If I ever get over Oblivion I'll know what to wait for.

As for a game recommendation, I like C&C: Generals. I'm the kind of guy that turtles in and would easily get destoyed by rushes (there's a reason I don't play online
). I basically get my work done by using attacks that don't require building units (sending a nuke, calling air strikes, carpet bombing). While I like games like Starcraft and Warcraft, I actually have to build up an army, so I don't get the most out of them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chosen

Whole fallout series

Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout: Tactics

Those were great games, skimpy on graphics but loaded with gameplay. I so much would like to see that particular series revisited.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
6,588 Posts
I've been playing Command and Conquer: Zero Hour expansion for quite some time. Its a great rts with a decent number of online players.

Also, Ive just finished AOE III. I loved the game and the skirmishes are great. There is plenty of multiplayer action online. Overall a great game!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by m|dg3t

Warcraft III/Warcraft III:Frozen Throne

Finished

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roguecloud

Lord of the rings battle for middle earth 2 just came out and got good reviews

hammer and sickle

Getting the demo later, its 1.37gb

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by m|dg3t

Warcraft III/Warcraft III:Frozen Throne

I loved Warcraft 1 and 2, but was disappointed with 3. I never played the expansion, but something felt like it was missing with 3 for me. Did the expansion change a lot? If so, I might give it a second try.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts