Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My onboard audio supports 5.1 surround but it doesnt pump out enough power on the rear/center/bass channels to get a good effect. The front channel is too strong and drowns the rest out. I tried adjusting the volumes but the other channels dont see to have enough power. What would be a good sound card to power all 6 channels on my headphones and still have a mic connector left over.

I was thinking of this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102178
Im hoping all those caps mean that it puts out decent power on all channels.

·
Banned
658 Posts
In a word, yes, I've messed around with Audigy2's on other systems and they work well but the sound quality and clarity from the X-Fi is unbelieveable. Plus it has alot of cool features, 24-crystalizer is awsome. It is worth it. Try and pick up a firewire card on ebay they are pretty cheap.

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweako_420

Then dont get it.
If you didnt need firewire Id say it is worh the extra 30bux

A firewire expansion card could also be added.

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
Quote:

LoL
But that costs more money.
IMO that would be the best.
Extreme music and firewire card.

True but the sound quality gained with an X-fi would be worth it. At least in my opinion.

Some firewire cards, if you decide to go this route.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...d&InnerCata=73

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Theoretically it should make a HUGE difference in games.

I think Ill just go for the Audigy 2 for now, then sell it later and get the Fatal1ty once I have more money and the price goes down a bit.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Quote:

Theoretically it should make a HUGE difference in games.

How so? I'd say it'd make a mediocre difference at best, not like 64MB of onboard RAM can make that big a differnence, especially since most systems are running 1-2GB of system RAM already and the X-RAM isn't any faster.

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Xram isnt faster but its closer and dedicated.
Its like the L2 cache on cpus.

It basically will allow more higher quality sounds to be processed at one time (as far as I understand).
Now right now that doesnt mean much at all but when games have more and more complex sounds thats when the Xram will help you out.
Now of course in the real world it could work good and it may not.
But theoretically its supposed to give you a boost. And ok maybe not huge difference but when you arent processing certain sounds without xram while you will be with xram to me thats a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Ehhh, you could liken it to that, but L2 cache on the CPU is also about five times (literately) faster than the system RAM, so the comparison isn't quite the same. Either way, hardly anything to justify the $130 price hike if you ask me, most of the price of that card is for paying for that ******'s name on it.

I think you should go for the X-Fi, no one is gonna pay good money for an Audigy down the line with the X-Fis dropping in price and being a significantly better card.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
It's not the performance that makes the X-Fi such a great card, it's the sound quality. If you listen to headphones, you'll be glad you got the X-Fi. It simply sounds a lot better and makes the price difference worth it right there. You don't need the Fatal1ty, just get the Xtreme music version. You'll have EAX 5.0HD for future games and you can even configure the digital out to work with optical for $20 bucks. (adapter)

• Rep+
Reactions: HrnyGoat

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

Ehhh, you could liken it to that, but L2 cache on the CPU is also about five times (literately) faster than the system RAM, so the comparison isn't quite the same. Either way, hardly anything to justify the $130 price hike if you ask me, most of the price of that card is for paying for that ******'s name on it.

I think you should go for the X-Fi, no one is gonna pay good money for an Audigy down the line with the X-Fis dropping in price and being a significantly better card.

Ok then how about turbo cache on video cards.
Video card w/ turbocache = slow
Same video card wo/ turbocache = faster
LoL
I wouldnt say its worth 130$ price hike either.
But it comes with the drive bay allowing for spdif out, midi in/out, guitar in (dunno the connecotr name).

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Ok then how about turbo cache on video cards.
Video card w/ turbocache = slow
Same video card wo/ turbocache = faster
LoL
I wouldnt say its worth 130$ price hike either.
But it comes with the drive bay allowing for spdif out, midi in/out, guitar in (dunno the connecotr name).

You can have spdif out on the Xtreme Music version also. Just buy a $20 adapter. You can pick up the card for $105 now. Here's one for $25...
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cg...P-COAX-OPTICAL

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Supposdely.
X-fi+headphones = phenomenal
Xfi+surround headphones = more than phenomanel.
LOL
But you gotta put it to the right settings.
I myself havent used headphones yet so I couldnt give u a first person account of what its like.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts