Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to use adblock'd firefox to visit another website that had terrible ads, and I visited OCN while that browser was still open. I've noticed that the plain text google ads appear in some of the ad spots still.

I think it would help out the revenue of the site a bit if these were able to run in all spots, since lots of users seem to use adblock.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I'm thinking something like what HEXUS.channel has would work better. Check it out with AdBlock Plus enabled and see what I mean. This could be used to encourage OCNers to whitelist OCN in ABP.

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Core2uu
View Post

I'm thinking something like what HEXUS.channel has would work better. Check it out with AdBlock Plus enabled and see what I mean. This could be used to encourage OCNers to whitelist OCN in ABP.

lol, that is pretty cool. Anyways something should be done if possible, since whenever I see anything about ads mentioned 3-4 people come out of nowhere telling the user to get adblock.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Oh awesome. That's just what we need. A way for them to be able to advertise to us, even more. You guys like spam?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,922 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennylava View Post
Oh awesome. That's just what we need. A way for them to be able to advertise to us, even more. You guys like spam?
These ads help pay for Overclock.net. Do you like Overclock.net?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Yeah I like OCN. I just think they have enough ads as it is. And 99% of the time I only read/reply to the threads that I myself started. The only reason I posted in this one was because I misclicked looking for my own thread here. Then I read a little and got interested/formed an opinion. This is just a little side OC'ing forum for me, (not my main one, or even second one) so I could really care less about any rep I may have here, or when I can "sell stuff" lol. And is this not the suggestions forum, where opinions can be voiced? You wouldn't find me saying anything like that in an inappropriate forum.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,922 Posts
Quote:

Yeah I like OCN. I just think they have enough ads as it is. And 99% of the time I only read/reply to the threads that I myself started. The only reason I posted in this one was because I misclicked looking for my own thread here. Then I read a little and got interested/formed an opinion. This is just a little side OC'ing forum for me, so I could really care less about any rep I may have here, or when I can "sell stuff" lol. And is this not the suggestions forum, where opinions can be voiced? You wouldn't find me saying anything like that in an inappropriate forum.
My point was this: if you like OCN, then don't complain about the ads because they help pay for it.

And regarding looking for your own thread by searching through the forums: you don't have to do that. Just click "Quick Links" on the black bar above (over on the far left), then choose "Your Profile". Then click on the Statistics tab and the rest is self-explanatory.

Or, you can simply set up your OCN account so that you're automatically subscribed to every single thread you create and post in. Then you can just check for new replies by clicking on "User CP" at the top.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
I used to whitelist OCN. Then, the rash of popups happened. I turned ABP back on. I love OCN as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to browse with popups.

I support completely replacing the current ad provider with Google AdSense. Their text ads aren't obnoxious, aren't annoying, don't have popups, and can generally be ignored.

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull
View Post

I used to whitelist OCN. Then, the rash of popups happened. I turned ABP back on. I love OCN as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to browse with popups.

I support completely replacing the current ad provider with Google AdSense. Their text ads aren't obnoxious, aren't annoying, don't have popups, and can generally be ignored.

You'll find that the popups were removed within a couple days of when they appeared. We hate them as much as you do.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipp View Post
You'll find that the popups were removed within a couple days of when they appeared. We hate them as much as you do.
Really, are the ads all Google Adsense now? I pretty much run my browser in locked down Ad mode so have to have other people tell me when it's actually safe to white list anymore

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by werds View Post
Really, are the ads all Google Adsense now? I pretty much run my browser in locked down Ad mode so have to have other people tell me when it's actually safe to white list anymore

Our ads are not exclusively AdSense - however, we do not ever support obtrusive roll-over or pop up ads of any kind and promptly remove them should they appear.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipp View Post
Our ads are not exclusively AdSense - however, we do not ever support obtrusive roll-over or pop up ads of any kind and promptly remove them should they appear.
Cool, should allow me to whitelist then, I remember I blocked ads here around the time I saw some popups a while ago, didn't realize they were gone now. Thanks!

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipp
View Post

I still don't trust the ad provider. You guys specified from the getgo that they wouldn't show up, and yet there they were.

Every time I whitelist OCN, a new strain of popups appears. :swearing:

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull View Post
I still don't trust the ad provider. You guys specified from the getgo that they wouldn't show up, and yet there they were.

Every time I whitelist OCN, a new strain of popups appears. :swearing:
It is unfortunately not the ad provider that the issue lies with on the (very) rare occasions that is occurs. The companies listing the advertisements themselves will misrepresent the type of content they submit to the syndication network - OCN is not the only site affected by these blunders (or deceptions).

·
Registered
990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Core2uu
View Post

Well, thanks for mentioning adblock, everyone. I was looking for a good ad-blocker, and now I can't see any ads. Here, or anywhere else! Awesome!
I need it more than most people, though. My download speed is the max for my area, a mere 1.5mbps. Of which I am able to get 1.31 as per speedtest.ne t. So it really helps me out.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Quote:

Well, thanks for mentioning adblock, everyone. I was looking for a good ad-blocker, and now I can't see any ads. Here, or anywhere else! Awesome!
I need it more than most people, though. My download speed is the max for my area, a mere 1.5mbps. Of which I am able to get 1.31 as per speedtest.ne t. So it really helps me out.
In my opinion you should run Adblock Plus in conjunction with NOScript addon.

Together they work phenomenally. I also use RIP (Remove It Permanently). As this will collapse and hide frames where ads are being blocked - that way forum layouts don't always look so hideous.

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Please do not use adblock on our site, guys - we rely 100% on ad revenues to cover the massive costs of keeping a website like this running, and never turn a profit. We dont ask for dontations, and we try to make the ads we run as tolerable as possible - please respect that.

·
Registered
990 Posts
All right, I will whitelist this site. But I do have one request, and if it's not met I am going to have to blacklist again. You know those incredibly dumb ads that target us computer guys? Can you sorta steer those away from us please? It's pretty much like we are being sterotyped. I see weight loss, dating sites, and genital enlargement ads.

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Quote:

All right, I will whitelist this site. But I do have one request, and if it's not met I am going to have to blacklist again. You know those incredibly dumb ads that target us computer guys? Can you sorta steer those away from us please? It's pretty much like we are being sterotyped. I see weight loss, dating sites, and genital enlargement ads.
If you ever run into an ad you feel isn't appropriate, let a manager know and we'll have it blocked from our rotation.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts