Overclock.net banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Vandelay Industries
2,840 Posts
I tried Fi last year. When it worked (1 week out of 4) reception was non-existent inside. I think I spent 12+ hours on the phone with support. When I finally left them...their "unlocked phone" was only good for 3g speed on other providers. I fortunately dropped that phone and bought the exact phone straight from amazon....it has been working at full lte from the start. I won't ever go back to FI unless they change something drastically.

· Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I tried Fi last year. When it worked (1 week out of 4) reception was non-existent inside. I think I spent 12+ hours on the phone with support. When I finally left them...their "unlocked phone" was only good for 3g speed on other providers. I fortunately dropped that phone and bought the exact phone straight from amazon....it has been working at full lte from the start. I won't ever go back to FI unless they change something drastically.

I'm in a rural area surrounded by cornfields next tower next to me is 10 mi or more.

I'm looking at a hiboost 4k SmartLink booster.

Should do the trick but for that amount of money to have services crazy.

I'm sure farmers pay for it.

· Registered
50 Posts
You may need to manually set up your APN - Google Fi APN Settings [year]

Just wanted to mention that I have Verizon and in 99% of my city I get 50megs+ DL speed, but sitting on my couch at home and running a speed test over 4G LTE I see results like the 2.6 meg speed test you posted. As it turns out my old house is quite good at blocking cell signal - Moving out to my driveway and testing again increases my speed 10 times over or more. Might help, might not I dunno.
Not sure if this will help but I have verizon and only got 1 bar and always dropped. I had to outside the house to stop from dropping. Even then, it was only 2 bars.

I purchased a Samsung 4G LTE Network Extender for verizon model SLS-BU103 and now I have full bars all the time with the max speed. It also helps with the battery usage since it is not always scanning for a signal.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.