Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a coworkers custom-built (by another person, not the coworker) machine I'm working on. Win XP Pro SP2 installed, but not running (will restart upon loading windows, safemode or not). I'm figuring a repair install will fix it, but I have no disks or COA sticker from the owner, and the repair install is asking for a product key.

Now, I've run Hiron's Boot CD, and managed to capture the product key from that, but it's a volume license product key. I have an XP Pro SP2 disc, but the volume license key will not work with it.

Any ideas what I can do? I'm going to ask him if he has the product key or any other information with regards to the system, but I kind of doubt it. If anything, I'd bet that the key is illegitimate. I don't want to repair install with my own illegitimate methods, even though I could probably figure out how to do it, but I can't fix his computer unless Windows gets reinstalled, and I don't have a "volume-license-compatible" disc.

·
Dream Chaser
3,765 Posts
I'm willing ot bet if you call Microsoft and tell them something like you sent your computer to a guys business to fix it and he went out of business and skipped state but you got your computer back and its now all messed up they'd give you another key. With Windows 7 out, the guy or girl on the phone would probably give you there key haha. Or buy a key off fleabay.

If you could get into the hard drive there is a system file that has the key that that OS uses on it. But you said you can't get into it....good luck tho.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts