Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
*cough*Stock*cough*
Joined
·
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yeah, stepdad has finally upgraded his 9 year old rig to something considerably newer, and i got the processor out of the old one. Its a core 2 extreme X6800, and is basically the piece of hardware needed to let my spare motherboards rip.
Thusly i went and did this:

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2709768

Stable too, the voltage is high because this EVGA board has some less than stellar voltage regulation, and when i put the processor under load i get a 0.04v drop. Also didnt help that the heatsink was weak, so load temps were VERY high.

Still, i got a Core 2 extreme to play with
biggrin.gif
 

·
*cough*Stock*cough*
Joined
·
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicsphere View Post

I remember drooling over these things in high school. I had an e2160 @ 2.97Ghz which was decent in it's day
Same, although at the time i was lucky to have a working Athlon XP computer thrown together out of half an Emachines rig and whatever scrap parts i could get my hands on, and my stepdad at the time was still sitting on his hot and horridly slow Pentium D 945.

Just wish i had better cooling for the C2X, because this thermaltake heatsink is horrid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,079 Posts
Awesome chip, I wish I had some of the Core 2 Extreme family.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,429 Posts
2ghz bus! I couldn't get over 1.6 / 1.7 on my P5E3 and that is supposed to be a good board.
 

·
*cough*Stock*cough*
Joined
·
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoublejj View Post

2ghz bus! I couldn't get over 1.6 / 1.7 on my P5E3 and that is supposed to be a good board.
Ive done 2ghz FSB on my desktop rig as well on this processor, AND the Q9400 thats currently installed there. I tried going higher on the EVGA board but the 90nm northbridge hit its limit shortly after cresting 2ghz. Havent let it rip on the main rig board just yet, last time i had it i just took it to 2ghz FSB (with minimal effort i might add) and left it there for 3 hours. Not a hiccup. Now that the chip is permanently mine, hehehehehe
biggrin.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,429 Posts
hhhmm maybe i should try to improve my MB cooling when i get a replacement board (hopefully a better clocker)
 

·
*cough*Stock*cough*
Joined
·
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoublejj View Post

hhhmm maybe i should try to improve my MB cooling when i get a replacement board (hopefully a better clocker)
Yep, try to get a P45 board, as they are all decent overclockers, and to make life easier get one that supports DDR3 so you dont have to go after super friggin expensive DDR2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedroc1999 View Post

Join the extreme FSB club on OCN

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Ace II Using Tapatalk
Already have, but the thread's dead and has been for some time now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,429 Posts
actually i'm trying to replace my P5E3 Deluxe (for several reasons). just about to post a wanted add. however i'm gonna try and see if i can't fit a fan around the VRM area since it all mounted a heat pipe any ways.
 

·
*cough*Stock*cough*
Joined
·
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoublejj View Post

actually i'm trying to replace my P5E3 Deluxe (for several reasons). just about to post a wanted add. however i'm gonna try and see if i can't fit a fan around the VRM area since it all mounted a heat pipe any ways.
I would take that P5E3 off your hands just so i'd have another board to work with, but i be broke man.

Actually, stick the fan on the heatsink that is on the northbridge. The direct cooling will eliminate most of the heat and the heatpipes will handle the rest.
 

·
*cough*Stock*cough*
Joined
·
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowtek View Post

exploring the possibility of a suicide run in the near future?
Nope, i lack sufficient cooling to attempt such a thing, and i dont trust my EVGA board's stability for such a thing, and i would like to keep my P5Q-E where it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrious View Post

I would take that P5E3 off your hands just so i'd have another board to work with, but i be broke man.

Actually, stick the fan on the heatsink that is on the northbridge. The direct cooling will eliminate most of the heat and the heatpipes will handle the rest.
ALL memory throws errors.
sad-smiley-002.gif
need a new one.
 

·
*cough*Stock*cough*
Joined
·
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoublejj View Post

ALL memory throws errors.
sad-smiley-002.gif
need a new one.
...... freebie? If anything i can at least salvage the heatpipes off the board and stick em on my own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrious View Post

...... freebie? If anything i can at least salvage the heatpipes off the board and stick em on my own.
yeah would think so but, i found i mine they were epoxied on. (#$%#!)
mad.gif
I found acetone helps with that. I'm still kind of bitter about have to do all that work to take them just to bake it just to have still fail. Obviously i just as5. you owuld definitely need a specific application for the heat pipe/s.
 

·
*cough*Stock*cough*
Joined
·
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoublejj View Post

yeah would think so but, i found i mine they were epoxied on. (#$%#!)
mad.gif
I found acetone helps with that. I'm still kind of bitter about have to do all that work to take them just to bake it just to have still fail. Obviously i just as5. you owuld definitely need a specific application for the heat pipe/s.
Oh well, at least you tried to resurrect the board. Getting a replacement is going to be a pain cause DDR3 boards = expensive as all hell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,429 Posts
well the next option would be a full on 205 USD for brand new one or 205 for new i series board and hopefully a cpu that would be almost as good as my q9550 AND work with err my uh "third" operating system listed in my core 2 haf machine and have legacy support. I figure any way i look at it 150 for replacement is going to allow me to keep all my currently installed oses and have all my legacy connections.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top