Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Home Theater fanatic. I spend about 3 times as much on my hometheater each year than I do computers. Ya I know, it's sad. Who else has a home theater? It doesn't matter if it's a living room or computer based HT, tell me about it.

Here is my setup:

Television: 46" Toshiba Theater Wide rear projection HDTV
Reciever: Onkyo TX-SR601 DTS / Dolby Digital 6.1 / 85w x 6 channel, extrememly clean power.
DVD player: Sony DVP-S530D It's around 8 years old and still kicking, that old and still plays DVD-/+R. LOL
Satellite: Dish network, Dish 500 system
Speakers: Sony floor standing speakers for the front, Sony pyramids (bi-directional) for the rear and a Sony center channel. Ya I know, It's sony, but I'm planning on upgrading when tax money comes.
Sub: Infinity BU-120 150W powered 12" sub
Cables: Monster cable all the way baby!!! all shielded apporx $250+ worth.
Test Equipment: SPL meter for speaker level and placement calibration, DVD setup disks for sound and picutre calibration. Like I said, im a fanatic.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Yeh, well........I have $100.00CAD 5.1 speakers with a 8" sub and a 17" CRT monitor!!!

*sigh*

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
ok, man i love my room! this is my setup...
Television: Hitachi 60" LCD tv
Reciever: Onkyo Tx-SR701 100x7 watts THX
DVD player: onkyo dv-cp701 6-disk progressive scan
Satellite: dish network 811 HD box DVI
Speakers::shades2: all polk
center:CSi 3
front: 2 RTi12 towers
surrounds: 2 FXi3
rear: 2 RTi4
Sub: 3:
polk 303-100w 8"
polk 404-200w 10"
titanic MKIII- 1000w 15":shades2:
Cables: all monster cabling about 400$ worth
Test Equipment: volume knob

this system bangs so loud, my neibors across the street and across the pond can hear it!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by archer_456

I want to make a HometheaterPC like that but I havent tried yet. Does it sound pretty good with movies and games?

Run an S-video cable from your video-card, and use an adapter for the audio (or get a sound-card with RCA jacks) and plug them into your reciever... I hope this isnt too radical of a concept... LOL

*edit - nice towers... mids must be nice 'n' tight...

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Quote:

I want to make a HometheaterPC like that but I havent tried yet. Does it sound pretty good with movies and games?

I hope you're joking with that reply to my post lol. It sounds great for games, although watching movies on my computer seriously lacks because half the time I can't see what's going on. Lol, but I can't expect much for $100 bucks.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomhauer

Run an S-video cable from your video-card, and use an adapter for the audio (or get a sound-card with RCA jacks) and plug them into your reciever... I hope this isnt too radical of a concept... LOL

actually, more like using the dvi connector to the tv, and then u got super quality. play dooom3 with a 60inch o yeah!
thnx they are...SWEEEEET..and my prized posesions

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by adas123

ok, man i love my room! this is my setup...
Television: Hitachi 60" LCD tv
Reciever: Onkyo Tx-SR701 100x7 watts THX
DVD player: onkyo dv-cp701 6-disk progressive scan
Satellite: dish network 811 HD box DVI
Speakers::shades2: all polk
center:CSi 3
front: 2 RTi12 towers
surrounds: 2 FXi3
rear: 2 RTi4
Sub: 3:
polk 303-100w 8"
polk 404-200w 10"
titanic MKIII- 1000w 15":shades2:
Cables: all monster cabling about 400$ worth
Test Equipment: volume knob

this system bangs so loud, my neibors across the street and across the pond can hear it!

DANG! Nice setup,LOL.

I wanted the Onkyo 701.
We are thinking about the 811 dish network reciever, but cost to much right now.
How does that DVD player do? do you ever have a problem with it playing DVD+/-R disk? I was going to get a Onkyo but the sales guy tlaked me out of it. He was trying to get me to buy a Denon.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Any comments on using a projector for gaming and watching movies. I have a huge wall in my room that would fit just nicely with a projector. What kinda performace would that get me, would I see lag or crappy picture or anything?

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
living room:
Sony 25" flat screen (not plasma)
Bose 5.1 speakers
Yamaha receiver
Sony dvd player

my room:
my computer, specs in my sig plus my jbl creature speakers.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Quote:

DANG! Nice setup,LOL.

I wanted the Onkyo 701.
We are thinking about the 811 dish network reciever, but cost to much right now.
How does that DVD player do? do you ever have a problem with it playing DVD+/-R disk? I was going to get a Onkyo but the sales guy tlaked me out of it. He was trying to get me to buy a Denon.

thnx..i went for the 701 because of the sheer improvement over the 601, which i almost got.
the dvdplayer rocks, it playes like everything that i can think of, with really nice sound. the denon one is great too, i just wanted to match my components.
btw, the 811 is pretty nice, but i hate the remote. its different then the normal buttons, and too complicated. but its an RF so thats cool

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zokus

Any comments on using a projector for gaming and watching movies. I have a huge wall in my room that would fit just nicely with a projector. What kinda performace would that get me, would I see lag or crappy picture or anything?

My School uses LCD projectors and they look like crap unless you invest the 4 or 5 grand in a good one

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Quote:

projectors are great, as long as its a dedicated home theater one, not like computer. and its good to get a big screen on the wall to make better colors.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I don't know about that. The one at school looks alright to me, and I've used them as theatre type setups at school for watching DVD's and it's nice. I was just wondering if it would lag or anything. I could pick one up for about $500 that would suit me just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomhauer

Ya I have my PC hooked up to a 500w Kenwood receiver, it just dosent have any built DD and DTS decoders.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I just don't like them cause they don't have any depth, it's just like a faded out image plastered on a wall

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Quote:

I don't know about that. The one at school looks alright to me, and I've used them as theatre type setups at school for watching DVD's and it's nice. I was just wondering if it would lag or anything. I could pick one up for about $500 that would suit me just fine.

i guess if u sit really far away lol. but they might look fine, but they leave out alot of the nicer details

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Why does it have to be a dedicated home theater one. Well it sorta would be, just using my computer as the base for the home theatre

• Rep+
Reactions: Crash

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
wow, I'm so way behind the thread all the time with this 33.3K internet lol.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Just throwing out the idea for my own use 'cause I thought it would be a better deal to get a projector for the same amount of money it would cost me to get a decent LCD monitor. Luggin around that Hugemongous ol' CRT to lanparties all the time just isn't my idea of fun.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts