Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a new 5820k and MSI x99s SLI PLUS motherboard, 2x4gb Crucial DDR4 2400mhz.

Right now I'm trying for 4.5 ghz settings as follows:

Baseclock: 100
All core: 45
CPU voltage in: 2.00
CPU vcore: Offset + 0.275 (just froze overnight on p95 with 0.260
System Agent: Auto
Ring Voltage: Auto
Cstates: All enabled, and down clocking as normal.
Ring Ratio: Auto
memory: Auto settings w/ XMP off

Cpu-Z is showing: 1.316 vcore max

Temps in intel burn test are about a 78c Max.

I don't see LLC settings anywhere like I'm familiar with on IVY, nor do I know what to do with Ring voltage, System Agent. I saw in places to set cpu in to 1.9-2.1 to help stabilize overclock.

I don't want to push the voltage any higher for a daily overclock so if I can't stabilize this I'll shoot for 44 but I need to understand how this all works better

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread... I'm not nearly as far along as the OP, so if y'all don't mind, I'll stick a nose in here rather than starting a new one. If I'm in the wrong place, please point me to where I should be asking...

Asus X99 Deluxe, 5820K, 32GB 2400 Crucial ballistix memory, noctua NH-D15 cooler.

I'm just starting to play with the overclocking. Started with AI Suite and that got me to 42 or 43 multiplier.

I've also watched the video you recommended but had different results. In my case, I set a multiplier of 45 and a cpu voltage of 1.3, and it booted fine, ran fine. Temps are around 35 - 40C.

Started Aida64 and had it do a stability test. Watched CPU-z, and the graphs, and although it managed to load the memory over 90% and said it was running the CPU at 100% I never saw CPU speeds
anywhere near the 4.5 GHz AI Suite reports. According to CPU-Z it spent the vast majority of its time at 1223 MHz with a multiplier of 12.

Fired up Lightroom and had it do some actual work while watching the AI Suite information. It loaded things more, occasionally got to 4.3 or even 4.4 GHz, but again a lot of the time was spent at 2.2 GHz or even 1.2 GHz. Temps during all the above were in the 50's and occasionally in the low 60's C.

In the video he changes the strap from 100 to 125 and the multipler to 36 so the speed is the same. I tried it and the box wouldn't even post. Had to clear CMOS to get it back. Not sure if the problem was overclocking the memory too much or something else, but the system didn't seem to like it.

Is there a guide to Overclocking for Dummies somewhere that I can use to better understand what some of the various adjustments are and how they interact? I'm not trying to do anything bizarre or overly ambitious, but I'd like to get as much performance out of the box as is reasonable. I did some searching for specifics on overclocking the motherboard/cpu combination but didn't find much, so any pointers to how to make this thing as fast as possible while retaining good longevity would be welcome.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post

I'm glad I found this thread... I'm not nearly as far along as the OP, so if y'all don't mind, I'll stick a nose in here rather than starting a new one. If I'm in the wrong place, please point me to where I should be asking...

Asus X99 Deluxe, 5820K, 32GB 2400 Crucial ballistix memory, noctua NH-D15 cooler.

I'm just starting to play with the overclocking. Started with AI Suite and that got me to 42 or 43 multiplier.

I've also watched the video you recommended but had different results. In my case, I set a multiplier of 45 and a cpu voltage of 1.3, and it booted fine, ran fine. Temps are around 35 - 40C.

Started Aida64 and had it do a stability test. Watched CPU-z, and the graphs, and although it managed to load the memory over 90% and said it was running the CPU at 100% I never saw CPU speeds
anywhere near the 4.5 GHz AI Suite reports. According to CPU-Z it spent the vast majority of its time at 1223 MHz with a multiplier of 12.

Fired up Lightroom and had it do some actual work while watching the AI Suite information. It loaded things more, occasionally got to 4.3 or even 4.4 GHz, but again a lot of the time was spent at 2.2 GHz or even 1.2 GHz. Temps during all the above were in the 50's and occasionally in the low 60's C.

In the video he changes the strap from 100 to 125 and the multipler to 36 so the speed is the same. I tried it and the box wouldn't even post. Had to clear CMOS to get it back. Not sure if the problem was overclocking the memory too much or something else, but the system didn't seem to like it.

Is there a guide to Overclocking for Dummies somewhere that I can use to better understand what some of the various adjustments are and how they interact? I'm not trying to do anything bizarre or overly ambitious, but I'd like to get as much performance out of the box as is reasonable. I did some searching for specifics on overclocking the motherboard/cpu combination but didn't find much, so any pointers to how to make this thing as fast as possible while retaining good longevity would be welcome.
I think it would be good to post all your settings the same way I did so everyone knows what is up. As far as changing strap, I wouldn't do that, not worth the hassle.

It is odd that your cpu isn't boosting correctly, your settings should reveal why.

On another note I decided to shoot for 4.4 ghz as my permanent overclock currently at +0.200 vcore and I'm Intel burn test / aida64 stability test functional. Not seeing any whea errors or anything. I guess ill run p95 again tonight and see how it goes. Don't really care if i'm 24 hour prime stable though as I never do anything that intensive anyway.

·
Registered
77 Posts
OK........

Baseclock: 100
All core: 45
CPU voltage in: I'm guessing this is the CPU voltage I set - 1.3 V
CPU vcore: Or this one, although I don't know what the offset does for me.
System Agent: Left at default
Ring Voltage: Left at default
Cstates: Left at default
Ring Ratio: Left at default
memory: Left at default

I ran a short test with prime95 today. That got me to a consistent 4.5 GHz and 100% load. Max temp I saw was about 80C. I only ran for 20 minutes or so, but it appears if it's getting beat on hard enough, it'll run full speed.

I'd still like to find some kind of guide that provides information on the the kind of settings I left at default 'cause I don't know what they are... Off to see what I can find.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've found some overclocking guides online, and even a couple sort-of geared toward the X99, so I'm starting to figure out more about the process. Unfortunately, one of my big problems is deciphering the names given by ASUS compared to what's in the guides. For example, a guide that provides voltages for a bunch of parameters refers to "CPU Input Voltage - "CPU VRIN", but so far I can't find anything in the ASUS x99 Deluxe that looks anything like that. And since the vast majority of parameters are "Auto", I can't even go by the current value to make a guess.

I ran the AI Suite, and the first thing it did was change the bclk frequency to 125 from 100. It didn't change the CPU strap, but it did change the frequency. Then it started testing. I started at a multiplier of 35 and went from there. By the time I shut if off, it was using a multiplier of 48, and SUPPOSEDLY a frequency of well over 5 GHz. I had CPU-Z running concurrently, and that never got over 4.5 GHz, so I don't know WHAT AI Suite was doing.

Anyhow, it looks like next I need to find an ASUS to geek translation so I can figure out what the ASUS names really are.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the AsRock extreme 4M, that is a micro-atx board and I am looking just to get to 33x without bouncing up and down from 12x to 33x but I did learn to set the cpu voltage and it is at 1.299. These more expensive boards may just jump right in and work, but this board I have is the second most inexpensive and I sure wish a techie knew some things to tell me. I also did not use the xmp as on my other lga2011 ecs ddr3 board I had to set the ram first. So set the ram (corsair 2133) 15-15-15-36 and put in the command rate as the number 2, not typing 2n or it will not save it and another thing if you after entering anything in the command rate box and try to move the slider or click up and down arrows the system auto reboots saving nothing. I suppose there could be a better place for me to post this but looking on the web for "how to" this is where I ended up. r eckert

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well, I'm the LAST person to tell anybody how to do any of this, but there are folks in here that ARE really good at it, and I figure they'll provide plenty of help.

On mine, when I ran the aiSuite, it changed the vCore(?) to 1.29 and other stuff. It's been a month or so since my fiddling, but I finally stabilized at 4.6 GHz with the Ballistix 2400 MHz memory running at (if I recall correctly) something like 2633 MHz... Works fine so far, ran tests with Aida64 and realbench as I recall, and temps got into the 71C range over time, but the system is stable doing everything I've been doing......

I don't KNOW if I could get a reliable, stable system at higher settings, but when I was fiddling in my clumsy fashion, I did get things goofed up enough a couple times that I had to hit the CMOS reset and reboot a couple times to get it up and running again...

It has nothing to do with overclocking, but I found a Rosewill front panel bulkhead with more USB2 ports, 2 - USB3 ports, an eSATA port, and a half dozen card reader slots at Newegg and put that in. Since I switch data from the desktop to the laptop (or RV mounted desktop) for travel, it's really nice to have the USB3 ports and the eSATA on the front. ALTHOUGH, as near as I can tell, the card readers are USB2 speed, which makes them less useful for images coming from the D810 since it can take 30+ MINUTES to load a 64GB card at that speed... With a separate CF reader plugged into the USB3 port, the time dropped to about a minute and a half...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys

Just joined the forums and thought I would get in on this thread, since I also invested in the following new system:

Corsair TX 750W (PSU)
MSI X99s SLI PLUS (Mainboard)
Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E (with Noctua D15 cooling)
Kingston HyperX FURY Black Series - DDR4 - 32 GB : 4 x 8 GB - 2666 MHz / PC4-21300
2 x MSI GTX970 Gaming 4Gb in 2-way sli mode
Samsung 840 EVO SSD

I also wanted to do an overclock on this cpu and haven't played around with it alot yet, since I had some SLI issues which turned out to be solved with a BIOS update (remember that if your having weird crashes during sli). Anyways beside the point.

I wanted to get a fast result so I am currently on a very simple 4 ghz overclock which seems to pass prime95 tests and I haven't had any stability issues yet (running on 1 day).

I simply set my ddr frequency in the msi bios to 2666 and changed the ratio to fixed (40) with 100 mhz base clock, then adjusted the core voltage to 1.225.

I'¨m pretty sure that voltage is overkill, but I've never overclocked on an msi mainboard before and there are so MANY options.

I'm also hoping to achieve an oc of around 4.2 - 4.3 or higher if possible.

Update

I'm on same settings as before except core voltage set to 1.240 and multiplier on 42 (4.2 ghz) ran AIDA64 stability test for 30 minutes with max temp of 71 on one of the cores, damn this cpu has potential.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Hi Guys

I am in the same boat as OP, pew pew reactor in my sig is currently running at 4.4GHz with a 1.27v VCore, Adaptive - Offset voltage mode and everything else at default (MSI Mobo)

The system runs great until I start gaming, even then I usually get at least a couple of hours in on BF4 or GTA V before I get the 124 BSOD (which usually means give me more vcore)
I am wondering however if VCCIN or CPU Input voltage set at a static rate would help, as the system isn't unstable until it decides to crash out, games fluctuate cpu usage quite a lot, especially if you respawn a lot if you get my drift
smile.gif

So I was wondering , if the system keeps altering the multiplier and voltage to suit requirements, any lag in getting the vcore up to it's set level might cause a 124 BSOD?

trying to find another setting to regulate it a little, as even at 1.26v I was getting a good couple of hours gaming in, before crashing.

I do run Intel Extreme testing for a few minutes each time, but of course I am looking for gaming stability and BF4 is definitely a good stability tester.

These questions do get asked a heck of a lot, especially in those overclocking leaderboard threads , but they often get buried and there is hardly ever a great guide with a list of settings other than multi and vcore .

Good luck everyone and I hope to get my answer soon
thumb.gif

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi all !

I got my new PC with a 5820K cooled by a nh-d15 and 16Gb 2400Mhz Ram on a MSI X99A SLI Plus mobo.

I have a good 4,5Ghz at 1,250V (everything else set to "default" and Ram set on XMP), I'd like to push it a bit more maybe arround 4,7 or 4,8Ghz.

BUT ! (yes there's a "but"
biggrin.gif
) even at 4,6Ghz pushed to 1,320V I get a BSOD so I though there was some other settings to move but I don't know which ones.

So here's my question : what should I do to get more speed ?

Thanks guys for your futur replies
thumb.gif

Regards.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,

no I didn't touch that one, as said I set the other settings to "default", what's the average value I should set the input voltage ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
have a check in the Haswell-E overclock thread, lots of details on extra settings

LINK

it varies as it's a tweak thing, but the auto setting might fail to request enough.
I can't quite remember what settings I used when experimenting, as I couldn't get anything above 4.3 stable so I left it at auto

·
Registered
77 Posts
If I may piggyback on this thread...

I have an ASUS X99 Deluxe with a 5820K and an NH-D15 cooler. 32GB of Ballistix 2400 Mhz memory.

I just had the "opportunity" to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch due to a Windows 10 upgrade that DIDN'T go well.

I installed the 2001 BIOS firmware.

I used AISuite to do a quick overclock.

My settings are
Core Speed 4399 MHz
Multiplier 44
Bus Speed 100
Core Voltage 1.280

AISuite got me to 4500 MHz with me setting limits of 1.28v and 80C for temp, but although it booted and seemed fine, when I was playing the system appeared to be a bit wonky, so I backed off 1 so I could fiddle...

In the BIOS I took a look at some settings with an eye toward perhaps going to a core voltage of 1.29, but I couldn't find any way to set it. I had the AI Overclock tuner on XMP, which appears to not allow me to get at any voltages. I changed it to manual and found:

cpu core voltage: .944
cpu core voltage override: auto
cpu cache voltge: 1.209 (auto)
cpu system agent voltage offset mode sign: .968 +
cpu system agent voltage offset: auto
cpu input voltage: 1.904 (auto)
dram voltage cha, chb 1.209 (auto)
dram voltage chc, chd 1.209 (auto) - seemed to change from 1.206 to 1.212

Everything else was set to auto

I've read a bunch of stuff in here and other overclocking topics, and even watched the Linus video. What I'm not getting is that they seem to start by setting bclk or bus speed,then setting vcore (is THIS "cpu core voltage"?) to something like 1.2 or 1.25 or so on as long as it's 1.3 or less. THEN, sometimes they say to turn on XMP 'cause it'll do the memory settings. But when I turn on XMP it appears to take over everything...

So, with the values above, HOW am I getting a core voltage of 1.28?
Is there some advantage to setting Intel Speed Stepping on or off? On appears to slow the clock when idle...
How do I get control of the voltages and still use XMP to do whatever it does?
I'm sure there are more questions, but I'm not even sure what I don't know yet...

·
Dev
2,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post

OK, I'll start a new thread.......
Hey here is my advice for you. First do you do video editing, audio recording, anything that uses rendering a lot weekly? If yes, then make your top voltage 1.3v for your CPU as your max you should go. If not and you use the system just to game. Then make your max voltage on your CPU 1.4v and now starts the fun part which is overclocking and finding the save overclocking setting 24/7 for your system. Don't be upset if you don't get pass 4.4 or 4.5 etc.. A lot of these chips will not get that much and if you do consider your self lucky and should be happy with those results. Finally make your goal to have your CPU working heavy load no more than 70C if you do editing work. I like to keep that run even if you are a gamer but that is just me. lol
biggrin.gif

Okay here we go;
1. Reset your bios settings back to default optimized settings normally all motherboards have that feature. Also set the XMP profile for your ram.
2. Set your multiplier to 42x should affect all cores.
3. Set your cpu to adaptive and choose +125 as your start up test settings.
4. Save and boot into Windows and run AIDA64 for 10-15mins see if you crash or if you get some spikes on the CPU graph. Keep an eye on your temps make sure you don't burn your chip if temps start to go over 75C I would advice to back off.
5. If AIDA64 test works great now grab IBT and run that to see if you crash or not. Don't worry as temps may spike a little with this utility. You won't experience those kind of load in the real world which is why we test first with AIDA64. Prime95 bring temps to high I only used those two applications and call it a day. There are other test you can use but that is for another topic and can be done once you find that sweet spot on your CPU then we can run a lot of different test on the settings you have found.
6. If AIDA64 and IBT pass, I would be curious if you can drop your adaptive to +100 and repeat all the test. If the test failed that is okay just trying to find if the cpu can still run 4.2Ghz with a lot less voltage.

So from here on you can up the multiplier and test, if failed up the voltage and test. Continue until your temps during AIDA65 are consistent 68C-70C and call it a day. You can also be brave and jump to 46x and put a voltage of 1.3Ghz and see if you are stable and were the temps are. then back your way down or up depending on your profile if you are a gamer only or do anything major like I do with Editing and Rendering etc...

Other people can shine in here and provide some useful info if possible. We can easily move this over to your own thread too. Let me know I can try to help best I can and I am sure others experience / experts can provide useful tips and advice.

I got a second chip here that I was going to test but I am end up just selling it haha since mine does fine at 4.5 or 4.6Ghz. I have not tried to push it beyond that so I am pretty happy. Good Luck!
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 28 Posts