Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I'm going to need some help.

The PC is a Hewlett Packard A6745F ... 4gb of RAM, ATi 3200 onboard, some weird Athlon x2 and a wireless thing built in.

Full specs here: http://www.shopping.hp.com/shopping/html/fq570aa.html

I am really inexperienced with prebuilts but this came as a gift. So I am going to need help. I'm looking up the parts for it, but the copy of Vista x64 it comes with is ridden with HP junk and I don't like Vista, especially since I'm going to use it to game, and Vista will take a decent amount of processing power away from my semi-weak Athlon x2. The HD3200 is an impressive IGP, I can actually max out Half Life 2 Deathmatch at 1440 x 900, with 2x AA and 8xAF. That gets me like 14-20FPS, though, so I keep it on medium settings. The performance is similar to a 7600GS in my opinion.

Anyhow.

I'm unfamiliar with this chipset, and unfamiliar with onboard video, and unfamiliar with this build-in wifi, and I can't find any great information on any of them.

Please give me a hand here. I don't even know where to start. I just badly want to get XP on this PC.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
What, Why would you want to use XP 64bit instead of Vista 64bit, Vista has been fixed up since release. Xp 64bit is horrible. I have used Vista 1 year after release till now.

OR, download a copy of Windows 7 64Bit and use that instead.

I don't get how anyone would not like Vista.

HP junk can be removed easily in about 25 minutes. Just did that a month ago to my sisters HP laptop

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkknight512 View Post
What, Why would you want to use XP 64bit instead of Vista 64bit, Vista has been fixed up since release. Xp 64bit is horrible. I have used Vista 1 year after release till now.

OR, download a copy of Windows 7 64Bit and use that instead.
I am considering using a fresh copy of Vista 64 ... the software that this HP comes with is incredibly annoying.

Well.

I don't know how to tweak Vista. I have never used it. But I know I'm getting worse performance in some games than I was with a much weaker PC running XP.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Overclocked TI-83
671 Posts
I doubt HP is even developing XP drivers anymore, and I'd be seriously surprised if they were developing XP 64 drivers.

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
Use 32-bit XP if you must have XP.

64-bit XP always had horrible driver support, even when it was new.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
View Post

I doubt HP is even developing XP drivers anymore, and I'd be seriously surprised if they were developing XP 64 drivers.

Is that your real picture?

Anyway, you will have no problem loading XP, there will still be XP drivers for all the hardware, regardless of whether or not HP hosts them or not, which they probably do.

Laptops are the only things that XP drivers become an issue for, when wanting to "downgrade".

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mygaffer
View Post

Is that your real picture?

Anyway, you will have no problem loading XP, there will still be XP drivers for all the hardware, regardless of whether or not HP hosts them or not, which they probably do.

Laptops are the only things that XP drivers become an issue for, when wanting to "downgrade".

Not true at all.

Attachment 100356

Looks like he's SOL for even 32-bit XP.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to try and go directly through MSI for my motherboard's drivers.

**** Hewlett-Packard, they didn't make any of the parts or develop any drivers.

Guys. This can be done. I just want help and advice doing it. Biggest issue is going to be the chipset ...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Quit spreading the lies about xp64 having horrible driver support. I've been running it for 2 years now with no problems. Everyone supplies drivers for xp64 and in fact IMO 64>32 xp. Mine has run faster and more stable than my previous 32 install.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If your having trouble finding the drivers even with msi. You can go straight to the source and get the chipset drivers from the maker. You can find the exact chipset by running cpu-z.

Also with the HPs I've worked on, I found the wifi to be more of a headache and sub par performance. I suggest run a ethernet cable or buy a real adapter.

·
Banned
5,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkknight512
View Post

What, Why would you want to use XP 64bit instead of Vista 64bit, Vista has been fixed up since release. Xp 64bit is horrible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redmist
View Post

Use 32-bit XP if you must have XP.

64-bit XP always had horrible driver support, even when it was new.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
View Post

Rubbish. The lot of it. Would any of you care to provide specific examples (brand and model) of hardware* that has driver support in Vista x64, but not in XP x64?

*When I say "hardware", I mean hardware that is current and that anybody would actually use on a modern gaming PC. Things like a 5 year old generic webcam from Wal Mart do not count.

CuriouslyHigh:
You don't want to go through MSI or HP for your motherboard drivers. The drivers they have are really just a collection of other drivers from the actual manufacturer of your chipset, NIC and onboard audio. You should get drivers directly from whoever makes those parts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TraCbr600
View Post

Quit spreading the lies about xp64 having horrible driver support. I've been running it for 2 years now with no problems. Everyone supplies drivers for xp64 and in fact IMO 64>32 xp. Mine has run faster and more stable than my previous 32 install.

QFT.... I've never had a problem finding drivers for XP x64. I too, have been running it for 2+ years and it is easily my favorite O.S. release from MS and my recommendation to most end users who hire me to built them a custom pc. I've probably installed XP x64 on 20 different unique pc's to include several laptops and only once did I ever run across a device that had no XP x64 driver (some obscure no name infrared device).

Like many, I gave Vista a honest shake (SP1) but uninstalled it, went back to XP x64, and never looked back. Dx10 and a more aesthetically pleasing skin was not worth trading the speed, stability, and tight resource management I got with XP x64.

Going to try Windows 7 (x64 7048) this weekend and see if it's the worthy successor it's talked up to be.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Are you just looking for information? I have an HP branded machine as well that came with onboard nvidia, and an older athlon X2. Have you checked the hp support page for your PC/motherboard? Also, ASUS didn't even specify my motherboard on their website since it is actually for HP, I feel that it may be similar in finding anything on your motherboard besides at the HP site. But I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what it is your looking for.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/p...lang=en&cc=us#

They have some drivers there if this is what your looking for, also a more detailed motherboard specs page.

Also, that wireless card is probably junk. I had one in mine and it barely picked up signal from a router in the same room.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts