Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I installed it yesterday but had very little time to do so and I think I did not do it right when it comes to the gelid extreme since it is the first time using it as I am used to mainly AS5.
I am currently getting with the same load temps with the Noctua (stock fans) that I was getting with the Mugen 2 using a san ace push and delta pull at low speeds.
The Noctua used the Gelid Extreme and the Mugen 2 was using AS5.
I got about 56 max temp running OCCT linpack.
I could not find any instructions on how to apply the Gelid and I just felt uncomfortable that it look like it had too much, I mean, I always thought you have to use a very thing almost invisible layer but in my rush to do this before going to be (waking up a 5am) I look at a quick video on the internet and that was my "guide".

So either AMD is not enough of a hot CPU to make a difference or I indeed over did it with the Gelid...or maybe I should just use AS5 again.
One thing is for sure, the thing is VERY tightly installed so at least that is not the issue.

What do you guys think?

·
Banned
449 Posts
HI, well i'm just instaling mine, if your not happy the only option you really have is to reseat and redo the paste, hope things get better dude

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts
Honestly, you should use the Noctua paste that comes with the cooler. That stuff has performed as well as anything else I have tried, and it goes on really easy. Just a glob in the middle, and let the HSF do the work.

·
Nope
2,203 Posts
I would clean the HS and reapply paste in a smaller amount. Remember that it doesn't take much. Gelid Extreme has been shown to perform better than AS5.

·
Registered
PNY RTX 3090, 8700K @ 5ghz, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB
749 Posts
Doesn't sound right at all. I'm on Gelid Extreme myself, and my own tests have shown it outperforms AS5 at 1-2c idle, and as much as 4c at load. Great paste.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah that is why I am thinking too..I am used to the small amount in the middle style of AS5 so the whole spreading of it was very rare.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I did but I honestly did not like how it looked...again, old school AS5 guy here but it did not look right...
I need to see some pictures of how it is supposed to look

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Use Noctua's paste, it performs best with this heatsink. Are those temps (58?) with
cpu oc'd or stock? I get about 45c with stock settings and with 4GHz/1.42v 58c under
interburntest.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
I need to see some pictures of how it is supposed to look
Same here, so many people swear by different methods.

Noctua themselves say a small dot and twist heatsink a few degrees though.

either way i'm shocked at the noctuas performance, it has gotten good feedback but yet mine performs like crap.

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by its my first time View Post
Same here, so many people swear by different methods.

Noctua themselves say a small dot and twist heatsink a few degrees though.

either way i'm shocked at the noctuas performance, it has gotten good feedback but yet mine performs like crap.

Spreading method can cause air bubbles if you do not know exactly what your doing and that is why I never tell anyone to spread it, too many ways for it to go wrong. Re-seat with rice grain method and come back.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am going to try AS5 the usual way I do it for a quick comparison then I will be able to tell what is causing this and move from there.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaolin95
View Post

Hi!
I installed it yesterday but had very little time to do so and I think I did not do it right when it comes to the gelid extreme since it is the first time using it as I am used to mainly AS5.
I am currently getting with the same load temps with the Noctua (stock fans) that I was getting with the Mugen 2 using a san ace push and delta pull at low speeds.
The Noctua used the Gelid Extreme and the Mugen 2 was using AS5.
I got about 56 max temp running OCCT linpack.
I could not find any instructions on how to apply the Gelid and I just felt uncomfortable that it look like it had too much, I mean, I always thought you have to use a very thing almost invisible layer but in my rush to do this before going to be (waking up a 5am) I look at a quick video on the internet and that was my "guide".

So either AMD is not enough of a hot CPU to make a difference or I indeed over did it with the Gelid...or maybe I should just use AS5 again.
One thing is for sure, the thing is VERY tightly installed so at least that is not the issue.

What do you guys think?

I just noticed your system, it says your running 4ghz at nearly 1.6volts, if your max temp on full load is just over 50 degrees that is very good for air.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My ambient temps are low but the problem is my Mugen 2 is actually matching or dare I say outperforming it by 1 or 2C which is not possible.
I will try again later tonight, I am sure I messed up the application.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
My ambient temps are low but the problem is my Mugen 2 is actually matching or dare I say outperforming it by 1 or 2C which is not possible.
I will try again later tonight, I am sure I messed up the application.
Either way I wish I ahd your temps.

I get higher temps than that at 3ghz and only 1.32 volts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was finally able to get this right by using my trusty AS5.
I got load temps 6-7C better than the Mugen so right on track with my expectations.
Unfortunately, my CPU won't go any higher anyway so I am going to end up keeping the Mugen 2 and selling the Noctua since without any OC improvement, the lower temps are not worth it for me.
Regards

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know, but bragging rights at this time and lower temps without a higher OC is not worth it vs getting the cash back. :)

Oh and my Mugen 2 was using a Push San Ace and pull delta with a fan controller of course.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts