Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've received my long awaited Opteron 144. Stepping is CAB2E 0546 BPMW.

Any word on this stepping?

I'll report how well I do as soon as I get this rig built and overclocked. Still waiting on my RAM to come, and I need to save up the money for a hard drive

Anyway, I'm just excited to finally have it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have the same stepping (I think) of opteron that was installed in my system for a few days. I think I managed to get it prime stable at 290FSB (1.626 vcore, 1.65 NF4 voltage,HTT at 3x and memory at DDR266). Temperatures at full load were right around 43C under a Big Typhoon. I think the value RAM that I use was keeping me from going any higher. Good luck with yours and I'll see if I can reinstall mine and push it a little harder.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ship me a hard drive and I'll get overclocking =). I'm hoping for 2.6 at least, to be honest. High expectations, I know, but I'm going to push this thing as far as I possibly can.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ive clocked my AMD3000 to 2.5 gig and had heard alot about the 144. My question is is there any point upgrading will i see anymore performance in a 144 running at the same speed that i have my 3000 currently running at?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gfresh

Ive clocked my AMD3000 to 2.5 gig and had heard alot about the 144. My question is is there any point upgrading will i see anymore performance in a 144 running at the same speed that i have my 3000 currently running at?

Cheers

I wouldn't really say it's worth it, no. There's extra L2 Cache on the Opteron, and if you run a lot of SuperPi benchmarks, then possibly. Just for normal use and games though, doubt you'd see any difference between the 2.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sorry to butt in on this post and thanx for answering the question. I will stick with the 3000 then.

cheers

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste

I wouldn't really say it's worth it, no. There's extra L2 Cache on the Opteron, and if you run a lot of SuperPi benchmarks, then possibly. Just for normal use and games though, doubt you'd see any difference between the 2.

Actually it's estimated that the extra L2 Cache is equal to about 200mhz. So there is probably a slightly noticeable difference. Still though, it is not worth upgrading.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amped

Actually it's estimated that the extra L2 Cache is equal to about 200mhz. So there is probably a slightly noticeable difference. Still though, it is not worth upgrading.

You won't see a 200Mhz difference with the L2 cache in games.
Nice performance boost in encoding and also if you have Windows 64 though

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste

You won't see a 200Mhz difference with the L2 cache in games.
Nice performance boost in encoding and also if you have Windows 64 though

Well in that case, I'm re-encoding all of my mp3's. Twice.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
good job on the purchase of the 144. As others have mentioned expect around 2.6-2.8. 2.8 if you have possibly water or some other amazing cooling. But each processor is hit and miss.
As far as the stepping, there really haven't been any "dud" steppings out yet for any opterons I've seen. Of course the earlier cabne and cabye's are still probably the best, these newer ones are performing almost just as good.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Quote:

I expect 4.0

what are you at now?

4.0? On air... Not to crush your hopes or anything, but I doubt it. But you never know that stepping might be good. But people with phase change haven't even gotten as high as 4.0/

·
Registered
948 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lightsource

what are you at now?

4.0? On air... Not to crush your hopes or anything, but I doubt it. But you never know that stepping might be good. But people with phase change haven't even gotten as high as 4.0/

Yea I really don't think he was serious.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I will guarantee that you wont get to 3.0 on air stable. Probably not even on water.. Just take it slow, dont get dumb with the chip, they're hard to come by these days.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
The world record AMD overclock is 4.0GHz on triple cascade phase change... don't get your hopes up.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
...I'm going to cyber-punch you in the face if you read that and thought I was serious.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Quote:

...I'm going to cyber-punch you in the face if you read that and thought I was serious.

lmao, well, im gonna have to cyber-punch you back if you cyber-punch me.

you might be a noob man, you never know.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lightsource

lmao, well, im gonna have to cyber-punch you back if you cyber-punch me.

you might be a noob man, you never know.

Take that!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts