Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i got my 250gb sata drive hooked up and working with my raptors...only thing is, the BIOS shows it as 250gbs, but windows only showed it as 233? wheres the rest of my space
? can I get it back? my drive has a 16mb buffer if that helps...

·
Registered
656 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by metalkobra

Well i got my 250gb sata drive hooked up and working with my raptors...only thing is, the BIOS shows it as 250gbs, but windows only showed it as 233? wheres the rest of my space
? can I get it back? my drive has a 16mb buffer if that helps...

Its because Windows counts 1gb as 1024mb, the bios & the sticker on the HD Counts 1gb as 1000mb So windows shows the hd smaller than what is it, But Technically its exactly the same size.

but Raptors are labled as "74gb" or "36gb" instead of 80gb and 40gb to try stop the confusion i think

·
Banned
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh ok, i didnt know formatting took space up lol. what about cluster sizes though (for future reference) whats the best cluster size?

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
it has nothing to do with losing space or a format taking up space... its what rpg_pro said... the drive manufacturers misrepresent the true size of a gigabyte to make their drives look as tho they have more storage space

same reason that burnable cds are accurately represented by 600-700 megs, the manufacturers cant misrepresent how much space they have... but dvds on the other hand, say they hold 4.7 gigs, when its really ~ 4500 megs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts