Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a guy I work with said he was getting rid of his "custom" water cooling stuff because he got an H100 and its easier for him to maintain, he was going to throw it out but I told him I'd take it. He brought it in and this is what I got:

An older Liang D5 pump (manufactured 11/08)
10ft case of primochill clear 1/2ID 3/4OD tubing
Small amount of greem primochill tubing, dont know the size
Unknown 120mm radiator, double thick
DD socket 1366 CPU block, missing a fastener
A small plexi res, haven't really looked at it
Bottle of Feser fluid + syringe

I think I got a pretty good haul for being free, how good is the older style D5 pump? I'm going to be building a loop to cool a GTX 590 and my i5 2500k, likely with 120.5 worth of radiator space in some manner or other going into a very small case. Will this work acceptably? I'm striving for quiet and not super-low temps for OC'ing, and I figured I might as well use the freebie pump if I can get away with it.

2011-10-13_17-39-43_136.jpg

2011-10-13_17-39-26_676.jpg

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Wow, nice pick up. I would scrap the 120mm and grab a 240/360 rad if possible.

That Laing pump should be fine, although I don't know much about it.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
The D5 pump should be fine, as far as I know they haven't changed much unlike the DDC line.

The rad looks like an RX120, does it have XSPC stamped on the side of it? If so then it is a very decent rad which will work well with slow speed fans.

Looks like a great haul for a freebie. Well done.

Edit: It is not an RX120, just spotted the bleed valve up top (thought it was some crud). Can we have some more pics? I like guessing games.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Hmm, this is looking promising:

PA1201.jpg

It is an older Thermochill PA120.1 from before XSPC started making them.

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha there is no label on the rad, its very very dirty though. Its been cooling an i7 975EE since the day that chip came out.

The res is also a DD 5.25" bay one, but I think its going to get sacrificed to build some plexiglass lighted logos that I plan on making. I guess I might power up the D5 and see how loud it is so I can tell if I want to use it. He said it was absolutely silent on the #1 setting which I think is 1800rpm.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Awesome for free! the D5 is an amazing pump, mine has been running full wack for over 3 years on speed 5 and its very quiet, the rad is a thermochill 120.1..looks like you got a great lil setup there.

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the rad is far too massive, but I'll keep it anyways. I tested the pump and its very quiet at 2-5, setting 1 it emits a whining noise, possibly from being undervolted? I think I'll run it at 3 or 4 because 5 just makes foam.

·
Nerd / Geek
1,680 Posts
Very nice
That's a D5 Vario so you made out well. Setting 4 I think is the "standard" setting for the non-variable speed pumps. It'll be just fine for a small loop.

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so I got the loop apart today (he pulled it out with fluid still in it and just put it in the box) and opened up the pump. I saw this, is this good to go?

2011-10-14_11-57-19_213.jpg

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
So I opened this thread, and I was like sweet, this dude has some freebies today. Well Im thinking, Freebies, good stuff. I thought you were going to be giving these away for free! You know, one of those contests. But then I saw where you posted this is not in the freebie section, and your just bragging. So congrats, that was nice of the guy to give you that stuff for free.

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da1Nonly;15308541
So I opened this thread, and I was like sweet, this dude has some freebies today. Well Im thinking, Freebies, good stuff. I thought you were going to be giving these away for free! You know, one of those contests. But then I saw where you posted this is not in the freebie section, and your just bragging. So congrats, that was nice of the guy to give you that stuff for free.
I apologize, next time I will be sure to not mention I got something for free out of a pure stroke of luck. The purpose of the thread was to ask about the hardware. I'll send you the radiator if it makes you feel better.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion49;15308410
Ok so I got the loop apart today (he pulled it out with fluid still in it and just put it in the box) and opened up the pump. I saw this, is this good to go?
Just looks like a paint marker that somone used to see the position of the impeller. No problems at all, a lot of impellers that I have seen have some similar markings on them.

• Rep+
Reactions: Scorpion49

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJohn;15308578
Just looks like a paint marker that somone used to see the position of the impeller. No problems at all, a lot of impellers that I have seen have some similar markings on them.
doh.gif
You're right, it looked like metal to me. I was going cross-eyed trying to focus on it, but I just went and scratched at it and sure enough it was paint. I feel like an idiot now. +rep for you.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion49;15308575
I apologize, next time I will be sure to not mention I got something for free out of a pure stroke of luck. The purpose of the thread was to ask about the hardware. I'll send you the radiator if it makes you feel better.
LOL. no thanks Ive got a dual and a single sitting at home, trying to figure out where i want to mount them..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts