Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, guys, summer approaches, and as temps increase, so does the temp in my room. Today it finally got unbearable [even with fans running], so to keep temps down, I'll be turning my PC off while I'm not using it.

I'll also be turning off the folding client entirely, to help keep the temp down even when my PC is running.

I look forward to folding again come fall!

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
It's always sad to see a folder go, but it's your decision.
Perhaps consider bearing the heat for the Chimp Challange in May:
A CALL TO ARMS. CHIMP CHALLENGE MAY 2010. OCN VS. THE WORLD

We'll need every possible folder to keep our crown.

Nonetheless, I hope to see you back in these forums again soon.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Dang bro, must be those Fiery Intel CPUs lol! My PHII, only at 3.7 tho, max loads at 52C and I don't notice a change in temps at all between comp on or comp off. My Intel core duo laptop is a different story tho, that thing makes the room like a sauna.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can take some serious heat, but the humidity is almost always over 90%, so shade doesn't help at all.

I'll join in for the Chimp Challenge, but because of the poor ventilation of my room, I can't fold 24/7 until temps drop below 60 again.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
I would bet you would find a way, i bought myself a AC unit and they are not that expensive the little ones with wheels so you can take it every were in the house it was around 500€ (R132 i think the gas it uses) but i am far from the summer hehehe more 3 months and the heat will get on to me.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Is it possible for you to setup some sort of exhaust porting from your pc? I'm assuming a few things here though:

A) Your pc is near a window
B) You setup your exhaust fans a certain way (say intake is always lower/front while exhaust will be the upper/rear fans)
C) You don't mind a slightly ghetto look (although you can make it nice if you put in the time)

Could you do something like using dryer vent tubing and make a little box/method of attachment so your fans are pushing the hot exhaust air into this tube, which then goes out the window. Sort of like how one of those stand-alone air conditioners work. You always have to vent them out a window.

Just a thought, trying to keep you going
May be impractical, but I like making things(..or eventually breaking them, lol)

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by [CyGnus]
View Post

I would bet you would find a way, i bought myself a AC unit and they are not that expensive the little ones with wheels so you can take it every were in the house it was around 500€ (R132 i think the gas it uses) but i am far from the summer hehehe more 3 months and the heat will get on to me.

Well, I don't have the money to drop on an AC unit atm, though it is a good idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmcz
View Post

Is it possible for you to setup some sort of exhaust porting from your pc? I'm assuming a few things here though:

A) Your pc is near a window
B) You setup your exhaust fans a certain way (say intake is always lower/front while exhaust will be the upper/rear fans)
C) You don't mind a slightly ghetto look (although you can make it nice if you put in the time)

Could you do something like using dryer vent tubing and make a little box/method of attachment so your fans are pushing the hot exhaust air into this tube, which then goes out the window. Sort of like how one of those stand-alone air conditioners work. You always have to vent them out a window.

Just a thought, trying to keep you going
May be impractical, but I like making things(..or eventually breaking them, lol)

I've thought about that before, but I have an Antec Nine Hundred, which vents out the top [and I'm not next to a window]. The cheaper/easier option is to just turn it off [Plus, it keeps the woman happy].

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
I understand how you feel, lately my room has been 80°F with one and a half computers folding. It's not hot enough to turn on the A/C, but it's not cold either

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
I will be doing the same unfortunately to an extent. It is now getting to warm to fold during the night, b/c I can't sleep when it is that warm. I will bear it for the chimp challenge and foldathons, but cant do it on a regular basis. I am still going to fold during the day while I'm at school, but it is just to warm when I'm around.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
sad to see you go but I can feel you on the temps though. this will be my fist summer running gx2's so we will see how it goes.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
funny all the guys from the south post up that stuff lol. you guys that live up north have no idea how bad it is when its 40C + outside and like 80% + humidity. its freaking terrible in georgia during the summer. at least you get a breeze from the ocean, in the middle of the state its just hot all the time

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyanmcleod View Post
funny all the guys from the south post up that stuff lol. you guys that live up north have no idea how bad it is when its 40C + outside and like 80% + humidity. its freaking terrible in georgia during the summer. at least you get a breeze from the ocean, in the middle of the state its just hot all the time

Well I actually enjoy the heat, but I like cooling off when I'm inside, rather than sweating bullets.

In fact, I'd rather be outside in 105F weather in direct sunlight with the humidity at 100% and no wind than to freeze my ass off.

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
I hate all of you for complaining about the heat. You know what I'm going to do this summer?

Freeze.

Then probably drown.

Damn Irish summers....

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Sigh, I'll probably be doing the same once summer hits. Hoping to hit 5 million by May and then Ill probably just fold on my sig rig and Q9550.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
I do not like to see members go
try to find a solution no need for 24/7 folding just when you are not around this way you could help the cause too
and problem solved at least while at work...

·
Dark and Dropped SUV
4,026 Posts
I may just put my main PC in the living room and Remote into it. That way I can still fold, work on it and not suffer from heat.

Just a suggestion for others.

·
Once more into the Fold
2,911 Posts
I told my girlfriend that for every new rig I setup we will have to move up one state to offset the heat. By my math we will be living in Canada by the end of the year.

I cant sleep when it is warm in my bedroom, so I cant run 24/7 in the Summer either. I have already switched duties from the rig in my bedroom to a second in the spare room at night to keep it a little cooler.

See you in May!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts