Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Putting the OCD in OCN
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So right now I mostly just play SC2 with my sig rig and am able to max all settings on 1920x1080. Previously I was using dual 5770's which ran great, but I changed to a smaller setup so I sold them... plus ATI was having cursor bug issues with SC2... so I went with a freebie from a pal, the 275 GTX. The nvidia card works well, but it runs a tad warm for me and wont be able to handle upcoming games with high settings.

So I am wanting to upgrade for BF3 and the SC2 expansion next year, but I have a couple constraints:
  • must be single card solution due to my case
  • must be around $200.00 shipped because I am broke
  • heavily prefer rear exhaust due to mini-itx case
  • no SC2 cursor bugs
  • no preference on Mfr. although I would prefer a decent warranty and customer service, just in case
  • getting a freebie game with the card is always a plus
Thanks in advance, I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
for a SCII if you have a decent CPU an overclocked 5770 does just find with max settings.
for BF3 I hope it doesn't require much more graphics than BFBC2 which an overclocked 5770 did great aswell for me with AA set to like x4 and everything else maxed.

·
Putting the OCD in OCN
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by microfister;15216157
for good performan in that price range. id look at the nvidia gtx 560s. not sure if theyll fit in your case, but they would be the best performance for the money, or a hd 6870 but cant guarantee you wont have any more ati issues.
Well I can fit a 300mm GPU, which is about 11.75". and even though the mobo only has one GPU slot, the case is set up to handle a two slot card.

specifically I am looking for make/model recommendations for the cooling setup. any particular brand you are thinking of?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
i'd say wait a little for prices to drop, or look on OCN's marketplace for a slightly used but hopefully still with warranty 6950 2GB.

I play a lot of 4v4s in SC2 with a 5850 (slightly faster than 6850 but slightly slower than 6870) and i'd say i'm personally not extremely satisfied with the performance at 1080p (hitting 20fps on low settings sometimes in huge battles...).

·
Putting the OCD in OCN
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodalink;15216228
for a SCII if you have a decent CPU an overclocked 5770 does just find with max settings.
for BF3 I hope it doesn't require much more graphics than BFBC2 which an overclocked 5770 did great aswell for me with AA set to like x4 and everything else maxed.
my assumption is that the next year will bring about increased requirements, which is why I am thinking to go a little higher if i can afford it... and I can right now, well a little at least.

from what I have read for the BF3 system requirements, it is looking like 460 or 6850 are recommended

·
Putting the OCD in OCN
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
these are all going to exhaust warm air into the case though, right? because of the small size, i am trying to limit ambient temp inside the case as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgenius;15216375
these are all going to exhaust warm air into the case though, right? because of the small size, i am trying to limit ambient temp inside the case as much as possible.
the DC and the twin frozr are the best cooling setups you can get on a card, without going aftermarket or water. the frozrs tend to stay below 60c. where as a everything else will push 70-90c without adequate airflow

·
Putting the OCD in OCN
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK;15216580
Lol I wish my friends would just give me a GTX275... lucky chap
I am currently trying to unload it right now for $60 to add to my new GPU fund... i might end up just dropping it farther and farther down though.

I gave it a custom pink and purple color scheme, i think most people might be a little scared to touch it.

·
Putting the OCD in OCN
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Putting the OCD in OCN
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ended up selling the purple card and deciding on a 6870, found some NIB ones on ebay for around $145. thanks all, +Rep!

·
Putting the OCD in OCN
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
woot! was able to find an XFX reference 6870 on ebay, 1 month old for $135.00 shipped. should be here by Friday

1 - 20 of 20 Posts