Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got some idoit question to ask

is Cpu got effect gpu??
means if i got 1 intel 478 p4 1.8ghz with 7800gs agp is it can make GPU low performance??

·
Banned
319 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by soonxtream

i got some idoit question to ask

is Cpu got effect gpu??
means if i got 1 intel 478 p4 1.8ghz with 7800gs agp is it can make GPU low performance??

honestly i have no idea what your saying.............. your sentence is like missing words and stuff

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
I think you are talking about bottleneck. Since, your CPU is so low end, the GPU cannot let out its full preformance.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I know what you meen .yes it will efeect the overall performance of games .But today,s games are getting more gpu orientated so you will not notice that much difference

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry poor english

ley us say like that
if i got low end processer but i buy a high end graphic card so that
my GC result got effect or not?

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Old CPU paired up with a great video card would bottleneck the video card.... right? lol

·
Registered
586 Posts
It really depends on the game, however some games like farcry and any games running the source engine (hl2, counterstrike source, day of defeat source etc) will be quite bottlenecked by the processor in your case.

I had an athlon 1700+ up until recently and I had purchased a 6800gs to replace my aged 9700pro and was surprised to find that on games like counterstrike there was very little improvement in framerate, only when the game settings were completely turned up.

So i was pissed and returned the 6800gs and bought a 7800gt with a new athlon 3700+, problem solved.

I think if you're considering making a new purchase, then if you can only afford one or the other, get the 7800gs, then when you have the $ get a new generation processor to follow suit, you'll notice a difference when you change each piece depending on the game.

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
I would get a 6600GT over a 9800Pro because it has all newer technology.
  • It has GDDR3, a much faster
  • It supports SM3.0, which FarCry and the new 3Dmark06 use.
  • It also supports HDR, which HL2, CS:S, DoD:S, FarCry, and 3Mark06 use.
  • It runs soo much cooler and overclocks way more.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedevil

9800pro is a great choice

not really price efficient anymore and it doesn't run pixel shader 3.0 model or hdr, you'd be best off with a 6800gs or if you can't afford it the 6600gt (make sure its the gddr3 model tho, there are a few cheap-o's floating around).

whats ur budget anyways?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts