Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During an intent to overclock my GPU it crashed 2 times sending it into the VPU Recover screen by ATI. It's the rig in my Profile, and it happened after exceeding 460.0MHz in the core.

Could this damage my GPU or something? I fried one recently...and trust me, I do not want to fry this one.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Same card, almost same CPU (northy), Same HD, Same RAM, Same power supply, Same GPU.

I just wrote a huge message but it wouldnt post, and when i went to try again it was gone, so heres the summed up vesion. I have that problem too but I fixed it. Mine kept giving me an "error report" when I tried to go over 450MhZ. Here's a step by step how I did it.

1)Go to -this site- and download the drivers.
2)Uninstall the oens you are using now
3)Install drivers and components from OMEGA
4)Make desktop shortcut for ATI Tray Tool
5)Look at your system tray for a little red ATI cube and right click it
6)Look for Hardare, follow that accross and click overclocking.
7)Click "Show 3D render"
8)You can now click max GPU(core) or max Mem.

I successfully got mine to 460MhZ core and 490MhZ Mem. I started receiving artifacts after about 2 minutes, so I downclocked and kept the speeds at 450MhZ Core and 470MhZ Mem (235×2). Let me know how you do, I'd be interested. Good luck man, and just let me know if something goes wrong.

The program I used works just like the ATI tool, you'll see. I dont think this is frying your GPU, but it may be a result of pushing it too far.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems this card is not "made" to go past the 460 MHz Core, as It fails every single time I try. Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShehanigan
During an intent to overclock my GPU it crashed 2 times sending it into the VPU Recover screen by ATI. It's the rig in my Profile, and it happened after exceeding 460.0MHz in the core.

Could this damage my GPU or something? I fried one recently...and trust me, I do not want to fry this one.
You won't hurt it trying to find your gpu max. The processor has thermal throttling on it and will slow down if it begins to overheat. Also, it will most likely artifact long before it reaches high temps and for a short test run, you're not gonna hurt it. Running it long term artifacting and/or overheating could harm it,though.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess so, but after exceeding 460MHz Core and 220MHz Memory, the monitor blacks out or the GPU, and I need to restart my PC in order for it to load again...

It comed factory clocked to 400/200. Any ideas what to do?

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Shehanigan did you try the other overclocking program? I had that black out problem when using the ATI tool, and then it wouldn't show the 3D render correct? THen it would freeze? With the new tool I can overclock smoothly and I dont get that problem at all, plus it gave me a better overclock by about 20MhZ. I se yours is ATI, mine is sapphire. That could possible play a roll in your speeds? Mine came factory at 400/223(x2)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, that is what happens. I used Omega's with ATI TT and then AtiTool. Same thing. I'm not too worried because I'm going to format soon, but I find it odd it just "blacks out" and the monitor/GPU dies instead of getting artifacts or something. Mine isnt Sapphire, it's not ATI either. I forgot the brand...

It came 400MHz/200MHZ factory clocked.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Artifacts occur when the memory is unable to process the data effectively. When the core begins to fail (short term, i mean, not FAIL completely) the card simply is unable to continue sending a signal and typically this means your system crashes. However, I have had my card fail, and still be able to shut down, black screen and everything. I just hit my power button (which I have set to 'sleep mode') and the computer went to sleep, I turned it back on from sleep at the card started up again. Dont expect this, though.

Thats a pretty good OC for air on such a card. I mean 60/400 is 15% and typically anything above 10% is decent for air.

·
Registered
208 Posts
if that is what an artifact is, than will it matter if my chip has watercooling or not, will i be able to acheive great oc's with watercooling if i am already artifacting?

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Scratch my last post, its shutting down on me again.

Whenever i go past 460MhZ Core trying to find the max, the screen shuts off but the computer keeps running. Nothing on the monitor, I have to reboot. Is this because of temperature?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nah, im sure it isnt. I load at 58C my GPU and my Processor runs at 100% load at 55C, so you can be sure it isnt temperature. Else I'd have noticed. I guess it's the single this fact this card is alredy clocked to 400/200MHz and it can only be raised so much. 460/220 is good I think, taking into account this coma clocked.

This is from the best OC known thread:

9600 Pro = 461/255 by dariussaunders24

Seems we got out max

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
I got that max for sure....last night I pushed it farther than I've ever gone! 460/500DDR. It went up to 519, then hti some artifacts. 500 was stable, but it still found 494 to be my max
. I play it safe with 450/480 now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had the same problem with my X800GTO²... Damn ATi Tool!

but i still get 525 core / 575 mem stable (I ran the artifact test for 1:30hr).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.